Scouting Department Returning to Video?

WildCard

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I don’t have good knowledge of that. I would have said the NFL and their real estate holdings.

Fair enough. I'm thinking their payables were outweighing their income and they hit the eject button to remain financially solvent.  You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can put the pieces together.  And I don't mean that in a snarky PA kinda way.  

I value the draft and scouting, of course, but i can't be convinced that you need 21 scouts or whatever it is the Sabres had on the amateur side. The Sabres since being owned by the Pegula's have consistently been among the leaders in the NHL in the amount of scouts they have with literally nothing to show for it. And Botterill never even gave them a real chance to maximize the return on all these scouts. I forget who wrote it on twitter, but during Botterill's three years as GM, the Sabres have not made 7 selections in any of his drafts, and in the next three years, they don't even start with 7 selections. For the 2021 draft, they are starting with just five picks.

A great read about the evolution of scouting and modern day scouting i thought was this article in the ringer for anyone interested: https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/3/8/18256355/what-we-learned-from-73000-never-before-seen-mlb-scouting-reports-cincinnati-reds

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Reino23 said:

I value the draft and scouting, of course, but i can't be convinced that you need 21 scouts or whatever it is the Sabres had on the amateur side. The Sabres since being owned by the Pegula's have consistently been among the leaders in the NHL in the amount of scouts they have with literally nothing to show for it. And Botterill never even gave them a real chance to maximize the return on all these scouts. I forget who wrote it on twitter, but during Botterill's three years as GM, the Sabres have not made 7 selections in any of his drafts, and in the next three years, they don't even start with 7 selections. For the 2021 draft, they are starting with just five picks.

A great read about the evolution of scouting and modern day scouting i thought was this article in the ringer for anyone interested: https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/3/8/18256355/what-we-learned-from-73000-never-before-seen-mlb-scouting-reports-cincinnati-reds

I only read the final instalment, but that is very thought-provoking stuff.

The Astros going from 60 scouts to 18, the inherent flaws in in-person scouting and how their data is compiled, and the difference in what video scouting shows today as compared to OSP’s era, wow! Thanks for posting.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Reino23 said:

Good stuff, thanks

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Video scouting, some not all, is not bad. Also we have better video now than we did 10 years ago. 

I really think the days of finding that diamond in the rough are gone. You don’t have that prime talent wallowing away in obscurity. Every league of value, any one of us can find the games online if we try hard enough. So if you can efficiently mine that video, find the guys you want to see, and then get the boots on the ground, why not go with that approach. I think it’s definitely possible, they just need to hire the right people now. 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t care what type of scouting they go to, as long as they don’t even think about drafting a blue liner in the next couple of drafts.  Should be nothing but forwards, and sprinkle in a goalie or two.  

They could just pick players blindfolded for all I care. They just need to actually get the job done ?

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is this actually confirmed? This is a lot based on one tweet that's seemingly an opinion..

Purely speculation.

All that has been confirmed is the scouting department will be smaller & there will be overlap between the analytics & scouting departments.

And analytics will have a greater role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Purely speculation.

All that has been confirmed is the scouting department will be smaller & there will be overlap between the analytics & scouting departments.

They determined this through the eye-test. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, WildCard said:

What did the scouting staff do to show that bolstering it to 22 people was worth the investment?  Finish dead last a bunch of times and barely above dead last a few others?  Regier did pretty well using mostly video scouting back then and there is far more capability with it 10 years later.  I can't say anything bad about it, it kind of was overdue in my opinion. Clinging to the "we have always done it that way" notion just because that is they way scouting staffs have always been run doesn't make much sense when you have those results to show from it.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Purely speculation.

Unfortunately, there are not many fancy stats available at the junior level for an analytics dept. to process. Junior teams have limited resources and will be in a more difficult situation if they cannot play or sell tickets.

I guess your analytics guys could watch tons of video and compile their own data.

Central scouting also compiles lists and they could use that as a starting point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

What did the scouting staff do to show that bolstering it to 22 people was worth the investment?  Finish dead last a bunch of times and barely above dead last a few others?  Regier did pretty well using mostly video scouting back then and there is far more capability with it 10 years later.  I can't say anything bad about it, it kind of was overdue in my opinion. Clinging to the "we have always done it that way" notion just because that is they way scouting staffs have always been run doesn't make much sense when you have those results to show from it.

Regier did very well prior to video scouting (w/ the exception of a lot of 1st round misses, which still IMHO seem to be more a function of philosophy from his bosses on how to build a team in a pre-salary cap era rather than his purely missing on available higher end talent), but really tailed off IMHO after video scouting began.

Just because Murray & Botterill never took advantage of a plethora of resources doesn't mean that paying $9/month for YouTube Channel & giving some interns college credit hours is exactly the way to go either. ?

(Realizing you weren't suggesting taking it to that far an extreme. ? )

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.