Adams Introductory Press Conference 2pm EDT

WildCard

Just now, LabattBlue said:

?

If the thoughts are - draft well, build a core, extend that core... that's like the main successful strategy that works in all sports.  Keep the players around that make it go, and augment it.  Stop trying to just band-aid issues with free agents.  

16 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think the team is absolutely heading in right direction. That press conference was a disaster but Kevin Adams has a great opportunity here. The defense is sound, they have one really good goalie, there's Jack and a few other talented people and Kev Ad might look like a genius by doing very little. Add a goalie, fix the PP and add another scoring winger and we are off and running. 

I also think they're getting better. Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and Ullmark have all gotten better as they've added some experience and Eichel in particular has raised the team up. But it hasn't impacted the standings. I do think you put ROR on this roster (and take back Sobotka and Thompson's period of hockey), and they're battling with Florida and possibly up near Toronto over the course of a season. So yes, they're steadily improving, but when those guys plateau, they need the rest of the team and franchise to be ready to be a true contender.

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

If the thoughts are - draft well, build a core, extend that core... that's like the main successful strategy that works in all sports.  Keep the players around that make it go, and augment it.  Stop trying to just band-aid issues with free agents.  

That takes time and fans don’t want to give them that time. Because no one says it is going to be perfect even if they do do it the right way.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

That takes time and fans don’t want to give them that time. Because no one says it is going to be perfect even if they do do it the right way.

That's just not true. We've been saying for years to keep players down in the minors to develop, to revamp the drafting department, and that success comes through the draft. That's not even just us, that's the local media too

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Duda - that's a fair point.

There was still a lot of questions around the firing of JBott and the 180* change from Kim's vote of confidence a few weeks ago. There should have been a JBott firing presser with Terry/Kim and then a separate Adams/RaKru introductory presser focused on team direction and strategy.

I can't picture how any of these "press conferences" can ever work in the zoom format.  They're almost always a trainwreck.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

That's just not true. We've been saying for years to keep players down in the minors to develop, to revamp the drafting department, and that success comes through the draft. That's not even just us, that's the local media too

Shutup! We needed Robin Lehner and Ryan Johnson instead of Brock Boeser and .... almost any forward I feel like mentioning. 

Just now, WildCard said:

Other than Alex Nylander and Casey Middlestat who was the call up that didn’t fit this? Fans have been no less hard on the team as any other losing period. 

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The "lack of communication" thing cropping up again is troubling. This is two management groups in a row where apparently no one was on the same page or paying attention to details. Players don't get signed, negotiations get botched, deadlines get missed, the coach and the GM aren't on the same page, the GM has no idea what is going on with his players...

What's the point of having a bunch of AGMs and paying them a bunch of money if the work isn't going to get done?

Might as well cut back and eliminate some bloat. Then see what you really need to get things done and fill those roles.

I think that's what they throw out there when they actually do have reasons but don't want to throw him under the bus, knowing he has to get another job some day.

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

The overall message that I took away from the press conference is that fans need to change their thinking from being a small-market team with a large market owner to back to a small-market team with a small market structure. They pretty much announced that they are changing course from when they first bought the team to align themselves with today’s sport market realities in Buffalo.

If they had been winning the whole time, they wouldn't have to.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Honestly this changes how I view his convos with PA.  He looks like he's skyping from a teenagers room not to mention his appearance is uh... interesting.

I like him more now.

29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't think anyone knows anything given the lack of communication according to Terry. Someone would have to communicate with Terry, and Terry would have to then communicate that communication to the members of the community that communicate the communicating to our community, and because of the lack of their community's communication, well we're just never gonna get that communicated properly.

Couldn't you have just as easily said:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

Honestly this changes how I view his convos with PA.  He looks like he's skyping from a teenagers room not to mention his appearance is uh... interesting.

well, bear in mind that he's probably been doing a Ted Kaczynski quarantine look.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Other than Alex Nylander and Casey Middlestat who was the call up that didn’t fit this? Fans have been no less hard on the team as any other losing period. 

Tage Thompson. 

So we have now named 3 middle 6 forwards that couldn't play those roles and were forced into service. 

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I also think they're getting better. Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and Ullmark have all gotten better as they've added some experience and Eichel in particular has raised the team up. But it hasn't impacted the standings. I do think you put ROR on this roster (and take back Sobotka and Thompson's period of hockey), and they're battling with Florida and possibly up near Toronto over the course of a season. So yes, they're steadily improving, but when those guys plateau, they need the rest of the team and franchise to be ready to be a true contender.

I chalk up last years failure to some bad luck, Hutton and Ullmark getting hurt just destroyed us. And that terrible PP which should be better 

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

You're right, we haven't been any less hard on this team than any other period. Which in and of itself is a credit to the fan base, considering this is by far the worst era of Sabres hockey in the team's history.

Fans have been hard on the team because of incompetence, not because we aren't patient. To call a fan base that went through 2 years of purposeful losing, even cheering on the ownership during that, and then continued years of complete ineptitude, all while rising prices, "impatient", is just wrong. The Sabres fan base has given that organization every single ounce of grace that could ever be afforded. To say this fan base in particular doesn't have the patience to allow draft picks to materialize and instead wants quick fixes, 11 years into a playoff drought and after multiple tanks, is asinine. They sell out the freaking prospects tournament FFS, a tournament the impatient fans pay good money to watch prospects YEARS away from ever even possibly playing for the Sabres. Every February for the last 5 years we want to keep losing to get better draft picks, for better prospects. When have we ever even entertained the thought of trading that pick?

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I chalk up last years failure to some bad luck, Hutton and Ullmark getting hurt just destroyed us. And that terrible PP which should be better 

As we keep trying to tell you there were more things wrong than just the PP not being the best in the league and Hutton not being good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.