Adams Introductory Press Conference 2pm EDT

WildCard

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Does one person in the organization know that the last three seasons have seen a rolling average of last place, in offensive chance creation counts/measures? I'd love for them to mention it so we can at least have some hope it's on the radar of things to address 

I don't think anyone knows anything given the lack of communication according to Terry. Someone would have to communicate with Terry, and Terry would have to then communicate that communication to the members of the community that communicate the communicating to our community, and because of the lack of their community's communication, well we're just never gonna get that communicated properly.

Edited by WildCard
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Samson's Flow said:

There was no talk of strategy or how the management team intends to fix the terrible product that has continued to define Buffalo Sabres hockey.

The things that might be asked in an interview process of multiple qualified candidates (and bounced off other candidates to see how they react)....

Granted, I'm sure Kevyn and the Pegulas have had conversations about how he'd fix things, but still, then why aren't any of those provided --- even at a high level? Just communicate and try, try again.

Just now, WildCard said:

I don't think anyone knows anything given the lack of communication according to Terry. Someone would have to communicate with Terry, and Terry would have to then communicate that communication to the members of the community that to the communicating to our community, and because of the lack of our community's communication, well we're just never gonna get that communicated properly.

It's crazy that he's citing the lack of communication as an issue. That was literally supposed to be Jason's whole thing 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

I don't think anyone knows anything given the lack of communication according to Terry. Someone would have to communicate with Terry, and Terry would have to then communicate that communication to the members of the community that to the communicating to our community, and because of the lack of our community's communication, well we're just never gonna get that communicated properly.

I think that's why like Kevyn. He's communicates in layman's terms for them. Will he still do that as GM when it's his job on the line?

And he seems like a nice guy. ?

3 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

What does what mean?  The Pegulas just fired their GM after having his back 3 weeks ago, did not perform a GM search to see what other GMs strategies would be for their organization that has missed the playoffs for 9 years, had a press conference and didn't address the direction they wanted to take the team, confirmed they are not in a rebuild - so things must be better than before (so again why was he fired?), etc etc etc.  

?

What does this have to do with someone telling them the PC was bad? Maybe having a good PC isn't on their radar and any communication of the PC will probably be met with talk to the hand.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Seriously, as a player, I don't really feel the need to sign a long-term extension here. The leadership is banking on a magical run on a talented young core, but there's not a foundation that would sustain that. My guess is within 3 years Adams and RaKru will also have to be moved for the next people who make the owners feel good and communicate well once these guys get burned out --- or get better opportunities elsewhere.

I think the team is absolutely heading in right direction. That press conference was a disaster but Kevin Adams has a great opportunity here. The defense is sound, they have one really good goalie, there's Jack and a few other talented people and Kev Ad might look like a genius by doing very little. Add a goalie, fix the PP and add another scoring winger and we are off and running. 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's crazy that he's citing the lack of communication as an issue. That was literally supposed to be Jason's whole thing 

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

I think that's why like Kevyn. He's communicates in layman's terms for them. Will he still do that as GM when it's his job on the line?

The Pegula's said that they weren't communicated certain decisions/thoughts they thought they should have been. Kevyn will read them his whole journal if he has to, right down to the temperature of his tepid black coffee if it gets them to smile. I'm betting Botterill just went around his job like a normal person, without telling their boss every little thing, and the Pegulas didn't like that

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

I think the team is absolutely heading in right direction. That press conference was a disaster but Kevin Adams has a great opportunity here. The defense is sound, they have one really good goalie, there's Jack and a few other talented people and Kev Ad might look like a genius by doing very little. Add a goalie, fix the PP and add another scoring winger and we are off and running. 

But we aren't. Not unless Mitts, Cozens, Kahun, and Tage all add a bunch of offense. 

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

It's almost like Kevyn Adams was identified not for his personnel experience or hockey knowledge, but because he's the perfect cross section of professional looking/articulate/local/not JBott that can smile and tell the fans everything will be alright.

i.e. Pegulas realize the fans hate JBott -- let's give them Kevyn he's a great dude ?

The "lack of communication" thing cropping up again is troubling. This is two management groups in a row where apparently no one was on the same page or paying attention to details. Players don't get signed, negotiations get botched, deadlines get missed, the coach and the GM aren't on the same page, the GM has no idea what is going on with his players...

What's the point of having a bunch of AGMs and paying them a bunch of money if the work isn't going to get done?

Might as well cut back and eliminate some bloat. Then see what you really need to get things done and fill those roles.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

?

What does this have to do with someone telling them the PC was bad? Maybe having a good PC isn't on their radar and any communication of the PC will probably be met with talk to the hand.

I guess my point  (and ironically I likely could've done a better job conveying it) is that a good leader would recognize this as an opportunity to address a major issue with this franchise - the lack of a clear message and/or strategy about their future plans.  It hurts ticket sales, it hurt TV ratings, and it hurts attracting talent on and off the ice.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

2 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

It's almost like Kevyn Adams was identified not for his personnel experience or hockey knowledge, but because he's the perfect cross section of professional looking/articulate/local/not JBott that can smile and tell the fans everything will be alright.

i.e. Pegulas realize the fans hate JBott -- let's give them Kevyn he's a great dude ?

And maybe that works! Who knows. Adams seemed pretty well connected in a hockey way to good people around the league. Maybe him and Ralph just work well together. 

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Communication? 

I really think someone got real pissed off finding out Hutton had an eye issue and no one told Terry about it 

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I don't think anyone knows anything given the lack of communication according to Terry. Someone would have to communicate with Terry, and Terry would have to then communicate that communication to the members of the community that communicate the communicating to our community, and because of the lack of their community's communication, well we're just never gonna get that communicated properly.

Hutton and Pilut both came out after Kim's vote of confidence.If Botterill was on the ledge before, failed to let them know about the Hutton situation, and handwaved the chances of Pilut leaving, I'd say that qualifies as lack of communication.

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The things that might be asked in an interview process of multiple qualified candidates (and bounced off other candidates to see how they react)....

Granted, I'm sure Kevyn and the Pegulas have had conversations about how he'd fix things, but still, then why aren't any of those provided --- even at a high level? Just communicate and try, try again.

I will give Adams the benefit of the doubt on this. He was an afterthought in the presser and no one asked him what his plan was for fixing the Sabres.

He should have been given a different presser without the Pegulas.

As i said, I'm looking forward to his talk with Duff.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

There's a lot of talk about emulating the Bills' model with Adams and Krueger, but the Bills model is more than just Beane and McDermott. After Beane was hired, they brought in a slew of player personnel staff and assistant GM types -- Brian Gaine, Joe Schoen, Lake Dawson, Malik Boyd, etc., all of whom were highly thought of around the league. I remember marveling at what an improvement it seemed to be from the days where they had Tom Modrak, John Guy, and seemingly nobody else. Ever since they invested in beefing up the front office staff, they draft as well as anyone in the league. I don't think that's a coincidence. I thought the Sabres front office was understaffed before this morning, and now it's even worse. This team badly needs to bring in competent people at the management level to help Adams. But when Terry talks about being "efficient", that feels like a signal that this kind of staffing will not be coming. It's troubling.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Hutton and Pilut both came put after Kim's vote of confidence.If Botterill was on the ledge before, failed to let them know about the Hutton situation, and handwaved the chances of Pilut leaving, I'd say that qualifies as lack of communication.

Just let the guy do his job ya know?

Just now, dudacek said:

Hutton and Pilut both came put after Kim's vote of confidence.If Botterill was on the ledge before, failed to let them know about the Hutton situation, and handwaved the chances of Pilut leaving, I'd say that qualifies as lack of communication.

I will give Adams the benefit of the doubt on this. He was an afterthought in the presser and no one asked him what his plan was for fixing the Sabres.

I'm sure Duffer will be tough on him! lol But you are right, it should have been his show. 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Get another goalie and fix the PP and we take several long steps forward. This team played well at times with a goalie that couldn't see straight. 

I tend to agree...this team does have and showed potential...in today's NHL you must have a good PP and a goalie who can see the puck. I always thought and still think that we have as much talent as at least half the teams in the NHL and showed that at times...just got to stop the team from tanking to get people fired...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Duda - that's a fair point.

There was still a lot of questions around the firing of JBott and the 180* change from Kim's vote of confidence a few weeks ago. There should have been a JBott firing presser with Terry/Kim and then a separate Adams/RaKru introductory presser focused on team direction and strategy.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I'm sure Duffer will be tough on him! lol But you are right, it should have been his show. 

Yeah, I don't need anyone to be tough on him, he's clearly on Cloud 9 and seems like an articulate, good dude.

I just want to know how he plans to fix my team.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, I don't need anyone to be tough on him, he's clearly on Cloud 9 and seems like am articulate, good dude.

I just want to know how he plans to fix my team.

But what do you want him to actually say? What could a general manager say in a press conference that has actual substance?

The overall message that I took away from the press conference is that fans need to change their thinking from being a small-market team with a large market owner to back to a small-market team with a small market structure. They pretty much announced that they are changing course from when they first bought the team to align themselves with today’s sport market realities in Buffalo.

Just musing.

The last 2 times, the Pegulas went with full search and selected highly regarded hockey people.  But GMTM and JBot stunknown.  Maybe, this time, they just said **** it and went with Adams.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

The overall message that I took away from the press conference is that fans need to change their thinking from being a small-market team with a large market owner to back to a small-market team with a small market structure. They pretty much announced that they are changing course from when they first bought the team to align themselves with today’s sport market realities in Buffalo.

?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.