Jump to content
WildCard

Get to Know Kevyn Adams

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His being fired is nothing but business as usual for the Pegulas, but Jack's comments made it likely.  However Adams is just more of the same.  He hasn't been a GM at any level or an Assistant GM at any level.  What does he know about the job? Again just more of the same by the Pegulas.  

I believe this team is actually one important move from being competitive.  That is getting a 2C.  Getting an experienced GM would have made this even more possible.  Getting Kevyn Adams makes a successful deal a pipe dream.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but the history of Jbot and TM's first deals show the rookie GMs getting taken to the cleaners.

They aren't unless you define competitive is perennial bubble team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can channel his competitive nature into fixing this team we will be in good hands. But we all have to wait and see. 

Show me!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His being fired is nothing but business as usual for the Pegulas, but Jack's comments made it likely.  However Adams is just more of the same.  He hasn't been a GM at any level or an Assistant GM at any level.  What does he know about the job? Again just more of the same by the Pegulas.  

I believe this team is actually one important move from being competitive.  That is getting a 2C.  Getting an experienced GM would have made this even more possible.  Getting Kevyn Adams makes a successful deal a pipe dream.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but the history of Jbot and TM's first deals show the rookie GMs getting taken to the cleaners.

100% agree with this.  He may be inexperienced in the GM role, but the key attributes needed for that job are can be broken into 2 segments:  critical thinker and effective manager. 

He should be ok if he's smart enough to properly evaluate personnel (his staff and players), if the Pegulas actually support him as they stated, and if he's not afraid to ask for resources or make bold but thoughtful moves.  I'm not sure how smart he is at this point because I haven't listened to him enough, but he most likely has enough contacts throughout the league from his playing, coaching, and FO days to put together a team that knows how to win.

Fingers crossed that today is the beginning of the end of having to watch an incomplete product try to win hockey games. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former teammate of his I'll say this.. he's competitive, smart, and extremely passionate about the game.     He's one of those guys that truly loves the game, not the most talented, but he enjoyed working at it and that took him to the top.    He was a locker room favorite among the boys, looked up to even at a young age for his leadership abilities, core values, and outstanding character.

That said, it's not surprising the Pegula's have taken him under their wing.     He's their type of guy.   

Does that translates to being a successful GM?  I have concerns....  NHL GMs need to be a bit conniving and cutthroat.   That's not the guy I knew.    When it comes time to make tough roster decisions, eg waiving guys you've built a relationship with who have young families etc... I don't think he has that in him.     That's not a bad thing, it speaks for his values as a human.  Great guy, just not what I would consider NHL GM material.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it back, don't get to know him. He'll be gone in 2 years anyways 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I thought we agreed never to speak of this....

It seems exactly like what's happening with Adams. And Russ sucked ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WildCard said:

It seems exactly like what's happening with Adams. And Russ sucked ass

I'm looking forward to the hockey equivalent of a TO signing if only so we can pull the Hitler meme out of mothballs.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

100% agree with this.  He may be inexperienced in the GM role, but the key attributes needed for that job are can be broken into 2 segments:  critical thinker and effective manager. 

He should be ok if he's smart enough to properly evaluate personnel (his staff and players), if the Pegulas actually support him as they stated, and if he's not afraid to ask for resources or make bold but thoughtful moves.  I'm not sure how smart he is at this point because I haven't listened to him enough, but he most likely has enough contacts throughout the league from his playing, coaching, and FO days to put together a team that knows how to win.

Fingers crossed that today is the beginning of the end of having to watch an incomplete product try to win hockey games. 

 

Those two qualities, plus NHL hockey knowledge are the most important factors in success or failure.

Which is why I won't automatically discount him despite his lack of a real resume. Good resumes didn't make Botterill, or Murray, or Benning or Fenton or Shero or many others good GMS.

But I bet there are is a lot of eyebrow-raising being done around the hockey world right now from wannabe GMs.

I will reiterate that hiring someone who has been around the block could be key to whether this works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Those two qualities, plus NHL hockey knowledge are the most important factors in success or failure.

Which is why I won't automatically discount him despite his lack of a real resume. Good resumes didn't make Botterill, or Murray, or Benning or Fenton or Shero or many others good GMS.

But I bet there are is a lot of eyebrow-raising being done around the hockey world right now from wannabe GMs.

I will reiterate that hiring someone who has been around the block could be key to whether this works.

Does Ralph fill this role in your mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SDS said:

Does Ralph fill this role in your mind?

No.

I think you should not discount the connections Ralph and Kevyn have in the league. They know people and they talk to people and people tell them stuff. They're actually a good team on the level.

What I'm talking about is a guy familiar with the tactics and habits of agents and rival GMs who can limit the time-wasting and the learn-from-your-mistakes elements that will be inevitable for Kevin. And a guy well-informed with the minutiae of the league rules and cap who can avoid the pitfalls and exploit the loopholes.

On the surface, Sexton and Botterill should be much better equipped than Ralph and Kevyn in those areas and we need somebody(ies) to pick up that slack.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It seems exactly like what's happening with Adams. And Russ sucked ass

No, Brandon's situation was far more like that of Larry Quinn's.  Both are self promoters (one from real estate, the other an actual marketer) with no direct playing/coaching/managerial experience building a sports team who held key roles involving the upgrades/ replacements of where their team played and because of their bosses being very happy with the jobs they did got promoted to other areas far beyond their capabilities.  Quinn simply got lucky in that Regier ended up way better than anyone expected back when he hired him to replace Muckler & give Nolan an insulting offer to stay on.  That they both had impressed the owners in lesser roles but were around when outsider team presidents had been brought in that clashed with the longtime owners was how they managed to schmooze their way in the door.

Again, Brandon had (slightly) more hubris and allowed himself to officially become GM while still focusing on marketing/ selling but Brandon had absolutely no experience that suggested he could EVER be a GM.

Adams at least has a pro hockey background and has worked under GMs (though never as a direct report).

Edited by Taro T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WildCard said:

My hope is then that he looks at Carolina and what they're doing right now and tries to emulate that

Like Botterill did with Pittsburgh? 

My hope is that he has keen eye for talent and knows which scouts to listen to - that way we might start to get a consistent flow of good players into this team and Rochester. Next, would be to develop said players.  Not thrust young players into an environment they cannot thrive in. 

A good start would be to feed off of RK and change the losing culture.   Can he get RK a few players that fit in now and can stop the losing NOW!? 

It is high time for the Sabres to stop doing what other teams do, enough with trying to emulate others. 

Pegula is making these past 10 years too dam hard.  Here is a thought for Terry and Kim - HIRE PROVEN GOOD PEOPLE AND THEN GET OUT OF THEIR WAY.  

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

In a statement, Kim says Adam's experience is "unsurpassed." Don't words have any meaning?

LOL - unsurpassed?  He has never been a GM or an assistant GM.    How does he evaluate talent?  How does he run a draft and manage his scouts?  How will he manage contracts and the cap?   Who will he hire to develop players?  Trades with other GMs?  Stature in league meetings?   Ability to influence, lead, and make decisions? 

He has almost ZERO experience in all these areas.  

  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t like how they failed to do their due diligence via a proper search. Of course, they definitely have done their fair share of GM interviews in the past, but they should’ve place the interim tag on Adams (through the draft) and took their time. There was no rush. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Like Botterill did with Pittsburgh? 

My hope is that he has keen eye for talent and knows which scouts to listen to - that way we might start to get a consistent flow of good players into this team and Rochester. Next, would be to develop said players.  Not thrust young players into an environment they cannot thrive in. 

A good start would be to feed off of RK and change the losing culture.   Can he get RK a few players that fit in now and can stop the losing NOW!? 

It is high time for the Sabres to stop doing what other teams do, enough with trying to emulate others. 

Pegula is making these past 10 years too dam hard.  Here is a thought for Terry and Kim - HIRE PROVEN GOOD PEOPLE AND THEN GET OUT OF THEIR WAY.  

I might be out in left field on this one — but are today's events more evidence of meddling in hockey ops? It's fine for ownership to say we need to tighten belts, reduce staff, consolidate things, spend less money, for financial and philosophical reasons. So why not have Adams, who knows what's up in the organ-eye-zation, come in and put together a plan to do all that in the most hockey-sensical way? Instead, two civilians put together a plan, hired a guy who would accept it and enacted the plan. Adams comes in looking very toothless. Here's your coach. Here's your organization, or lack thereof. Holy, good luck Kevyn.

Edited by PASabreFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its always wait and see. Once again its about the future rather than the present. Its something we can look forward to. Its all in due time. Its just around the corner. Its so close I can smell it. We’re almost on top of it. If we get any closer it’ll hit us square in the face. Take it one step at a time. One game at a time. If we win this period. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I might be out in left field on this one — but are today's events more evidence of meddling in hockey ops? It's fine for ownership to say we need to tighten belts, reduce staff, consolidate things, spend less money, for financial and philosophical reasons. So why not have Adams, who knows what's up in the organ-eye-zation, come in and put together a plan to do all that in the most hockey-sensical way? Instead, two civilians put together a plan, hired a guy who would accept it and enacted the plan. Adams comes in looking very toothless. Here's your coach. Here's your organization, or lack thereof. Holy, good luck Kevyn.

I don't think you are in left field but it seems curious to me as to what could have changed in 3 weeks?  it is not Pilut and it is not Eichel spouting off.  This is a bigger philosophical issue with how the team is going to be run in the near term. 

Kim spoke out in support of JBOT, but when she finally took the time to find out what JBOT's plans for the long off season really were things just fell apart.  Terry loves to talk about communication --- this is a classic example of poor communication on their part.  If they are just learning the key elements of JBOTs plan forward, 3 weeks after endorsing him, that shows me how much we need a real Hockey President.  I am talking a former player/coach/GM, a crusty hockey guy that was used to putting on wet smelly equipment and thinking there is nothing better than this.  

Kim is not the person that is going to fix this. 

Kevyn Adams is probably a fine young man but the cards are stacked against him. 

 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly I was for JBott going but not to be replaced by someone with literally no experience. I'd feel better having kept JBott for another year. Hope I'm wrong. Oh, as far as ownership? I've just come over to the PA camp. Pegulas are totally lost. If this works out it won't be because of their expertise.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll get to know Kevyn Adams as soon as a Chili’s opens up for dining, and he accepts my invite for lunch. 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’ll get to know Kevyn Adams as soon as a Chili’s opens up for dining, and he accepts my invite for lunch. 

Thanks. 

I bet you will feel God in that Chili's that day.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

When you misuse a word, is it OK to ask whether dementia is creeping in?

With PA?  Absotively.

 

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I wasn't suggesting dementia. More like she's an empty suit.

Only when Terry's had his Viagra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...