Get to Know Kevyn Adams

WildCard

7 hours ago, kas23 said:

I just don’t like how they failed to do their due diligence via a proper search. Of course, they definitely have done their fair share of GM interviews in the past

Exactly.  They knew what they were looking for and Adams has it.  I'm not saying they're right, but even if they'd interviewed 5 other candidates, they would have hired Adams.

6 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Once again its about the future rather than the present.

Well, it *is* the offseason for them.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Can you imagine the Knoxes being worried about that stuff when they hired Punch? They wanted to be the first expansion team to win the Cup, and they hired a winner.

Such a distant memory. 

After listening to a couple radio interviews with Adams today, I have some take aways that I like.

He spoke about not just using analytics but integrating them into to scouting department.  That some scouts and analytics people would be the same person.  I think this is key, because they really are the same thing.  Looking for players with skills that the organization values.  There should not be an analytics vs scouts situation ever.  They should all be looking at the same stuff.

This dovetailed with other things he said about the different departments of the organization all being on the same page.  Scouting, analytics, player development, coaching, players.  They should all be valuing the same things, understanding why they are important and pulling in the same direction.  This is what Adams means when he talks about being efficient.  It does make a lot of sense.

Also, he is a good public speaker.  Seems very personable, likeable, easy to talk to.  It feels as though he is speaking very openly and casually, even on a public stage.  That’s a refreshing change from Botterill.

He doesn’t have the ideal experience for a GM, it’s true.  He does know the inner workings of the organization though, so maybe he really does have a clue of how to fix the problems.  He seems smart enough to know that he doesn’t know it all.  If he can place smart people around himself, it seems that he would listen to them.  I could see him possibly needing help with regards to contract and trade negotiations, so hopefully they add a couple AGM types with some experience.  

I don’t know if he is going to be good or not.  I’m honestly feeling a little numb to the situation.  This is my impression of Adams based on what I know about him so far.  We’ll see how things go.  

• Like (+1) 4

Adams himself seems to be getting lost a little bit in this.

He is personable and articulate and seems to have a good grasp of the Sabres and the kind of organization he wants them to be.

And he’s very excited to be here. Not just excited to be an NHL GM, but to be the GM of the Buffalo Sabres.

He’ll be judged on how he fixes this team on the ice and his Interviews did not scream “hockey genius,” or “leader of men.“

But overall, he makes a good first impression.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams himself seems to be getting lost a little bit in this.

He is personable and articulate and seems to have a good grasp of the Sabres and the kind of organization he wants them to be.

And he’s very excited to be here. Not just excited to be an NHL GM, but to be the GM of the Buffalo Sabres.

He’ll be judged on how he fixes this team on the ice and his Interviews did not scream “hockey genius,” or “leader of men.“

But overall, he makes a good first impression.

Maybe they have their leader of men, and Kevyn just has to get the metrorail to run on time.

• Like (+1) 2

The thing I respect about the Pegula's is they don't let a coach or GM stay that extra year when it's not working.  They've eaten millions of dollars to pay people not to work for them.  I appreciate their commitment to get the organizations right.

Of course bad hires have been made but let's at least recognize there hasn't been a single incorrect firing yet either.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, Taro T said:

Yep.

I still hate the guy from that team. LOL.

He is going to be absolutely overwhelmed in his position.  There's a lot of huge decisions to be made in the very near term for this organization and the guy has zero experience doing any of it.

I wish him all the luck in the world in the regard.  Would not want to be in his shoes. 

51 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

He is going to be absolutely overwhelmed in his position.  There's a lot of huge decisions to be made in the very near term for this organization and the guy has zero experience doing any of it.

I wish him all the luck in the world in the regard.  Would not want to be in his shoes. 

You wouldn't want to be an NHL GM?

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There’s a lot a hyperbole at times.

And I would also say that no one actually knows the detail behind what KA was told. People are filling in the void of information with their own biases.

49 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Funny way to spell Kevin, eh?

That's all I got, except he was on the damn Canes team that won the cup that should have been the Sabres cup in 2006.

He's gonna end up hiring Mike Commodore as a scout and we're all gonna die 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Haven't there been several ex players to get GM positions without experience?

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'd take the gig! And the salary. Not so much loving the hours it would likely take. Or the interviews and people writing garbage about me and my family. And...  I'd be horrible at it. I'd set this franchise back years and never get another NHL job again.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

People are filling in the void of information with their own biases.

Based on that one thread that's floating around here somewhere, I'm using the name GM Sheevyn in my head. It's a lovely head canon to believe he's started his new Empire after being a phantom menace within the organization the last 10 years. Slowly breaking down the structure, gaining power, and executing a coup. "Execute Order E-E-E," he said, and lo! he was behind it all all along.

Next, he's going to unveil himself on the Zoom Draft Lottery call with a hideously disfigured face and long dark robes and cackle through all his interviews.

Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Garth Snow, Pat Lafontaine, Trevor Linden, Cam Neely, and Mike Gillis off the top of my head, as either GMs or Hockey Ops president positions with little to no experience in a hockey ops role. I'm sure I can find a lot more.

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

Haven't there been several ex players to get GM positions without experience?

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Garth Snow, Pat Lafontaine, Trevor Linden, Cam Neely, and Mike Gillis off the top of my head, as either GMs or Hockey Ops president positions with little to no experience in a hockey ops role. I'm sure I can find a lot more.

Any of those stiffs have a cup as the head honcho?  I know 2 that have as players.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yzerman had been groomed under Holland for a long time before striking out on his own.  And Gillis had been a successful agent for years.  Though he didn't run a front office, he knew what value FO's put on various skill sets and had that background working for him.

The rest, yeah, little to no experience behind them outside of playing.

53 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yzerman had been groomed under Holland for a long time before striking out on his own.  And Gillis had been a successful agent for years.  Though he didn't run a front office, he knew what value FO's put on various skill sets and had that background working for him.

The rest, yeah, little to no experience behind them outside of playing.

Yzerman was an alternate governor and VP for three years in Detroit. Not sure what his exact duties were, but I don’t think he negotiated many contracts, ran many drafts, or negotiated many trades. He was neither an AGM, nor a scout, nor a coach, an agent, or department head.

Adams, also alternate governor and VP. It was only for a year, but he has been part of the hockey business and this organization for a decade. Not sure what his exact duties were. He has not been an AGM nor a scout. He has been a coach and an agent and a department head, as well as a business executive.

Gillis was an agent, a coach and a lawyer, who had never worked for an NHL team in any capacity other than player prior to being hired by the Canucks.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, SDS said:

There’s a lot a hyperbole at times.

And I would also say that no one actually knows the detail behind what KA was told. People are filling in the void of information with their own biases.

Sorry, told about what?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.