Get to Know Kevyn Adams

WildCard

@Don Dokken

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-14-sabres-vice-president-of-business-administration-kevyn-adams

Adams on WGR back in February. Not exactly any clues in there about how he’d run a team — but, frankly, as someone who thought Botterill came across as an idiot in every interview he ever did, I can already tell I’ll find Adams refreshing

1 - Kevyn Adams was hired as the Senior Vice President of Business Administration in 2019 by the Sabres. He previously was an assistant coach with the organization from 2011-2013. He was fired when the Sabres named Ron Rolston their head coach.

2 - Adams was raised in Clarence, NY. He was born in the Washington, D.C. area but spent most of his upbringing in Western New York.

3 - Adams was a first-round pick of the Boston Bruins in 1993. He was selected 25th overall after a successful career at Miami University. Despite being drafted by the Bruins, Adams never played a game for Boston.

4 - Adams played 540 NHL games with six different teams during his career. He spent time with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Columbus Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, Phoenix Coyotes, and Chicago Blackhawks. While in the NHL, Adams scored 59 goals and added 77 assists.

5- In 2015-2016, Adams was part of the Stanley Cup-winning Carolina Hurricanes. The same team that beat the Buffalo Sabres in seven games in the Eastern Conference Final to advance to the Stanley Cup. Adams played in all 82 games with Carolina that season for his best year as a pro.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/what-to-know-about-new-buffalo-sabres-gm-kevyn-adams

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

My hope is then that he looks at Carolina and what they're doing right now and tries to emulate that

Absolutely.

Also hoping, but not expecting, that this allows for at least 1 change in the assistant coaching ranks.

And, strangely hoping that this move puts Chris Taylor about 2 years from being behind the Sabres bench.  Have Krueger bump up to Hockey Ops President (or even PSE Competition President).  Realizing they go for inexperience way too often, but Taylor seems to have "it."

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic

Like most here, I wanted Gillis or other experienced GM with a good track record.

But that doesn't mean Adams can't be a good GM here.  He knows the organization and evidently has the trust and respect of the Pegulas and presumably RK.

I think that RK will probably have more say in setting the overall tone and priorities of the organization, and KA will be in charge of executing the plan.

Let's hope they both have the chops to deliver.

After all, what else can we do?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Like most here, I wanted Gillis or other experienced GM with a good track record.

But that doesn't mean Adams can't be a good GM here.  He knows the organization and evidently has the trust and respect of the Pegulas and presumably RK.

I think that RK will probably have more say in setting the overall tone and priorities of the organization, and KA will be in charge of executing the plan.

Let's hope they both have the chops to deliver.

After all, what else can we do?

Watch as the car crashes into the reinforced concrete wall as 80 miles per hour.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

In a statement, Kim says Adam's experience is "unsurpassed." Don't words have any meaning?

Have many other GMS been players, coaches, business analysts and then GM? Whether or not it is relevant experience, I would imagine Adams is somewhat unusual in his breadth of involvement in the hockey world

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

In a statement, Kim says Adam's experience is "unsurpassed." Don't words have any meaning?

Have you been paying any attention at all to current events?  Clearly, in 2020, words mean whatever the utterer wishes them to mean.  Riboflavin!

?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Watch as the car crashes into the reinforced concrete wall as 80 miles per hour.

Serious question:  you were one of JB's few defenders here.  Are you unhappy with him being fired?  Or just with Adams being the replacement?  Or both?

3 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Have many other GMS been players, coaches, business analysts and then GM? Whether or not it is relevant experience, I would imagine Adams is somewhat unusual in his breadth of involvement in the hockey world

OK, but Adam's hockey experience is not unsurpassed. I know it's just a throwaway word, but it's used carelessly. Is Kim in command of her thoughts?

More words. “He exemplifies our company values of teamwork, respect, accountability, integrity, trust and success; and will further our company mission in this role.”‘ Can you imagine the Knoxes being worried about that stuff when they hired Punch? They wanted to be the first expansion team to win the Cup, and they hired a winner.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

OK, but Adam's hockey experience is not unsurpassed. I know it's just a throwaway word, but it's used carelessly. Is Kim in command of her thoughts?

More words. “He exemplifies our company values of teamwork, respect, accountability, integrity, trust and success; and will further our company mission in this role.”‘ Can you imagine the Knoxes being worried about that stuff when they hired Punch? They wanted to be the first expansion team to win the Cup, and they hired a winner.

When you misuse a word, is it OK to ask whether dementia is creeping in?

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  you were one of JB's few defenders here.  Are you unhappy with him being fired?  Or just with Adams being the replacement?  Or both?

His being fired is nothing but business as usual for the Pegulas, but Jack's comments made it likely.  However Adams is just more of the same.  He hasn't been a GM at any level or an Assistant GM at any level.  What does he know about the job? Again just more of the same by the Pegulas.  

I believe this team is actually one important move from being competitive.  That is getting a 2C.  Getting an experienced GM would have made this even more possible.  Getting Kevyn Adams makes a successful deal a pipe dream.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but the history of Jbot and TM's first deals show the rookie GMs getting taken to the cleaners.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.