Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

I just read the Hockey News article. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-will-the-buffalo-sabres-rebuild-their-scouting-department

Some interesting tidbits in here. The biggest one that jumped out at me was the timing of the draft. Why exactly would the NHL wait until October or November for the draft? No hockey will be played before then, so all there is to know, has been known for months. The utility of a physical combine is almost nil at this point. 

22 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I just read the Hockey News article. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/how-will-the-buffalo-sabres-rebuild-their-scouting-department

Some interesting tidbits in here. The biggest one that jumped out at me was the timing of the draft. Why exactly would the NHL wait until October or November for the draft? No hockey will be played before then, so all there is to know, has been known for months. The utility of a physical combine is almost nil at this point. 

It’s as simple as the draft happens when the season is over. The season isn’t over yet.

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s as simple as the draft happens when the season is over. The season isn’t over yet.

Yeah, they can't really determine the non-lottery spots until the playoffs are over.  Well, at least not with the current system.  I suppose they could go on points only.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, they can't really determine the non-lottery spots until the playoffs are over.  Well, at least not with the current system.  I suppose they could go on points only.

And for a more soft reason, teams will want to know their UFA/RFA and desires based on the post-season before drafting (or trading around draft picks for players).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

And for a more soft reason, teams will want to know their UFA/RFA and desires based on the post-season before drafting (or trading around draft picks for players).

Very good point.

13 hours ago, MattPie said:

And yes, teams pretty much know which of their UFA's & RFA's are planning on being back before the draft, but the draft historically happens in June & FA hits on the 1st day of the new league year - historically July 1.

So, not knowing who's planning on coming back isn't really a reason to delay the draft.  (Not knowing the draft order is a much bigger/ better rationale.)

I have difficulty taking Shannon seriously since he pegged O’Reilly’s trade value at a 2nd-rounder two years ago.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ralph became Sabres president some point, assuming things improve for the Sabres, he no longer wants to coach, and Kim feels the culture in the organization is fixed.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I have difficulty taking Shannon seriously since he pegged O’Reilly’s trade value at a 2nd-rounder two years ago.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ralph became Sabres president some point, assuming things improve for the Sabres, he no longer wants to coach, and Kim feels the culture in the organization is fixed.

I really think RaKru is that now, just not in offical titles and such.  I do think that he is running the hockey operations in Sabreland.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really think RaKru is that now, just not in offical titles and such.  I do think that he is running the hockey operations in Sabreland.

Wouldn't be surprised that you're right on here. That allowed them to do what they did with the GM position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they're going to do that why the hell wait? BB and Lavy and Gallant? Maybe not, are available. Let's wait for 2 years for a pool like the one that gave us Housley, and miss the boat on demonstrably good coaches (sandwiching Trotz with Housley and Krueger) once again. 

It might not be up to them. It could be up to Krueger, he might want to reevaluate after a few more years 

29 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don’t think Ralph will be handed any players, or be losing any players, that he hasn’t signed off on.

I also think coach and GM will be on the same page to a greater extent than any regime we’ve seen here since Darcy and Lindy were in their prime, which can only be a good thing.

I am no longer worried we will be re-signing Jimmy Vesey or Wayne Simmonds for real money, or trading assets for Kyle Turris.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So no one heard this or has a comment? If this is true, why wait two years? Do it now.

That wouldn’t exactly be surprised by that either, except that Pegula just said that they aren’t considering hiring a PoH, and “don’t believe in that model”

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

After the Shannon Radio Interview, Chris Parker mentioned he spoke with a friend who meets with Terry Pegula on a regular basis and that the general feeling is that Ralph will be POHO. 

I hope this is true.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they're going to do that why the hell wait? BB and Lavy and Gallant? Maybe not, are available. Let's wait for 2 years for a pool like the one that gave us Housley, and miss the boat on demonstrably good coaches (sandwiching Trotz with Housley and Krueger) once again. 

If Krueger is a coach/president/whatever who is here to have the team culture do a 180, then I doubt he would then turn around and grab some “name coach” from the outside to continue his work. That coach would likely want to come in and install his culture. The only way this works is for them is for Krueger to start grooming his replacement now, or at least hire someone from the outside who he trusts and respects (likely from past work together). Unfortunately, they have fired everyone, but these weren’t Krueger hires. 

On 6/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, dudacek said:

The “insiders” are tied to the league heirarchy, and the stuff you are hearing from the Lebrun’s of the world is definitely a reflection of the water cooler talk in the corridors of power.

The Pegulas have definitely put themselves on a bit of an Island and are creating an us-against-the-world mentality.

Which most Buffalo people wouldn’t actually mind if it wasn’t the Pegulas.

Care to elaborate? Or are you simply referring to their established poor performance..

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

After the Shannon Radio Interview, Chris Parker mentioned he spoke with a friend who meets with Terry Pegula on a regular basis and that the general feeling is that Ralph will be POHO. 

Is there a timeframe? Or is it an "eventually, when he's done behind the bench" type thing..

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If Krueger is a coach/president/whatever who is here to have the team culture do a 180, then I doubt he would then turn around and grab some “name coach” from the outside to continue his work. That coach would likely want to come in and install his culture. The only way this works is for them is for Krueger to start grooming his replacement now, or at least hire someone from the outside who he trusts and respects (likely from past work together). Unfortunately, they have fired everyone, but these weren’t Krueger hires. 

The head coach in Winnipeg, whose name escapes, me would be the 1st person I'd think of due to their work together on the Team Europe staff.

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Care to elaborate? Or are you simply referring to their established poor performance..

Buffalo, like most towns, love to grab and us-against-the-world wave. But with people like Ted Nolan or Lindy Ruff.

Too many of them think of the Pegulas like Mr. Burns to passionately support them on anything, even against Gary Bettman.

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Paul Maurice, those two got along great and he still talks about the experience.

I'd almost put money on it, if Maurice were to get fired by WPG; Krueger would immediately bring him on as Associate Coach, work him into the team dynamic then bequeath HC to Maurice and become PoHO

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd almost put money on it, if Maurice were to get fired by WPG; Krueger would immediately bring him on as Associate Coach, work him into the team dynamic then bequeath HC to Maurice and become PoHO

I’m in on Maurice, lots of experience.

He’s pretty honest during interviews and I always make time to listen to him speak.

51 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Paul Maurice, those two got along great and he still talks about the experience.

Lol Paul Maurice just moved into my wife's best friend's cabin. After they sold it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1