Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Remember Adams revealed the team’s new motto during his radio interview; “doing more with less.”

That just doesn’t bode well for the future.  We have tried that before.  Remember video scouting and a shared farm team.  This destroyed our prospect pipeline and our development system and created the foundation of the mess we are in now.  Just to emphasize this, TP just reduced the scouting dept from 22 to 7.  

Now add an inexperienced GM, a paired down hockey department, incompetent ownership now more interested in saving money then winning, and the general acknowledgment around the league of owner incompetence and what do you get.  A recipe of even more failure to come.  

The funny thing is I’m ok with Jbot being shown the door.  I’m even ok with trying to save some money, but firing Taylor instead of working with him and hiring an inexperienced yes man as GM were steps to far. 

Our only hope is somehow we get lucky and Adams is smart enough in year one to play it cool using a scalpel to the roster rather then a hatchet or the Pegula’s sell the franchise.  Odds of either of these things happening? Zero!

I mean, that's better than Botterill's motto: "Do as little as possible with as much as possible"

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Tim Graham has a good Q&A with Adams this morning in the Athletic, and this piece by Lance Lysowski in the News spells out pretty clearly that Adams has been an integral part of what led up to Tuesday for some time.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/06/17/buffalo-sabres-rochester-americans-kevyn-adams-terry-kim-pegula-chris-taylor-nhl-news-2020/

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Remember Adams revealed the team’s new motto during his radio interview; “doing more with less.”

That just doesn’t bode well for the future.  We have tried that before.  Remember video scouting and a shared farm team.  This destroyed our prospect pipeline and our development system and created the foundation of the mess we are in now.  Just to emphasize this, TP just reduced the scouting dept from 22 to 7.  

Now add an inexperienced GM, a paired down hockey department, incompetent ownership now more interested in saving money then winning, and the general acknowledgment around the league of owner incompetence and what do you get.  A recipe of even more failure to come.  

The funny thing is I’m ok with Jbot being shown the door.  I’m even ok with trying to save some money, but firing Taylor instead of working with him and hiring an inexperienced yes man as GM were steps to far. 

Our only hope is somehow we get lucky and Adams is smart enough in year one to play it cool using a scalpel to the roster rather then a hatchet or the Pegula’s sell the franchise.  Odds of either of these things happening? Zero!

I think we probably just bring back most of the RFA's, spend a lot less on AHL (if there is one), and figure out a way to upgrade 2C.  I think its probably montour/risto + mittelstadt and some picks - i'd probably keep the first rounder this year (we pick relatively high and the targets were probably already established before the firings).  But i'd be open to moving several (lack of scouting staff) this year.  

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

I think we probably just bring back most of the RFA's, spend a lot less on AHL (if there is one), and figure out a way to upgrade 2C.  I think its probably montour/risto + mittelstadt and some picks - i'd probably keep the first rounder this year (we pick relatively high and the targets were probably already established before the firings).  But i'd be open to moving several (lack of scouting staff) this year.  

No. They need to draft players. Firing the scouting staff is not a green light to dump picks. Our forward prospect pool is a barren wasteland after Cozens. They need to figure out their drafting NOW. Not next year but NOW. They should have done this in 2015 and we wouldn't be sitting in this position today. There is too much selling for bandaid fixes without actually addressing the main problem with the Buffalo Sabres, they do not draft well and need too. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

No. They need to draft players. Firing the scouting staff is not a green light to dump picks. Our forward prospect pool is a barren wasteland after Cozens. They need to figure out their drafting NOW. Not next year but NOW. They should have done this in 2015 and we wouldn't be sitting in this position today. There is too much selling for bandaid fixes without actually addressing the main problem with the Buffalo Sabres, they do not draft well and need too. 

You're probably right, didn't realize how many picks in the next 2 drafts are already gone.  2 and 6 gone this year in the skinner deal.  2 in 2021 for miller, 3 in 2021 for Vesey, and 5 in 2021 for Wayne Simmonds for like a day.  Not a lot of bullets in the gun the next 2 years.  Looking forward, I'd probably like to get picks back at this point.  

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

And we need draft picks to make those picks. We have 6 picks this year and 5 in 2021 because of trades. We have fewer darts to throw at the wall, we can't give away all the ammunition (and in fact, should be reversing that trend to get additional picks for our vets). Like getting a 4th for Scandella instead of a 2nd... that's bad. But even worse is turning that 4th around for a once-solid but now washed-up rental.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

You're probably right, didn't realize how many picks in the next 2 drafts are already gone.  2 and 6 gone this year in the skinner deal.  2 in 2021 for miller, 3 in 2021 for Vesey, and 5 in 2021 for Wayne Simmonds for like a day.  Not a lot of bullets in the gun the next 2 years.  Looking forward, I'd probably like to get picks back at this point.  

Botterill ***** us with his stupid acquisitions of Frolic, Simmonds, and Vesey. We didn't need any of them and yet we wasted assets and cap to acquire them. Everyone likes to say how you only have a 10% chance to get an NHL player in the 3rd round or beyond... well that's a hell of a lot more than the 0% chance you have because you traded the pick for a JAG. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Botterill ***** us with his stupid acquisitions of Frolic, Simmonds, and Vesey. We didn't need any of them and yet we wasted assets and cap to acquire them. Everyone likes to say how you only have a 10% chance to get an NHL player in the 3rd round or beyond... well that's a hell of a lot more than the 0% chance you have because you traded the pick for a JAG. 

Frolic and Simmonds cost cap room this season too... again... The cap guru didn't have that foresight? 

• Like (+1) 2

I guess this is the best catch-all thread for this speculation: one philosophical difference that stems from running Rochester as a place to develop more prospects simultaneously will be fewer European and collegiate draft picks. Yes, they're good for letting develop on their own timeline and then bringing them to ROC, but you'll need more CHL-ers if you want to have ROC stocked with more prospects. They can still have the veterans, and still grab the collegiate undrafted guys at the end of the season (or in spring, because seasons change). But -- you won't have their rights for up to 5 years while they develop.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

This was one serious issue with Botterill that he didn’t get a ton of crap for. 
They are lottery tickets, but he frittered them away.

He could have had more had he handled the Bogosian Scandella Vesey Larsson Girgensons group differently.At least he’s got value for Sheary.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Good?

Well, not good that the Sabres are currently the biggest clown show in the NHL.

Good that Brian Burke and his Old Guard ilk are being crossed off the list.

Though I would still take Babcock in a heartbeat.  

This organization isn't about to go with some young quant type and engage in a heavy analytics-based approach to running the team in any event.

As Travis Yost said the other day, the Pegulas don't know what's important in hockey.

So what does it really matter? 

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

This organization isn't about to go with some young quant type and engage in a heavy analytics-based approach to running the team in any event.

As Travis Yost said the other day, the Pegulas don't know what's important in hockey.

I'm not overly optimistic about Adams but I'm definitely not envious of any of the NHLs old guard. Particularly, one that had something to do with the NHLs disciplinary system. Arguably, the worst run group in any sport.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I wouldn't touch Babcock. No way in hell after hearing the stories out of detroit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I was gonna go with...

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

The End of Suffering thought seems to have survived the night. I'm feeling OK about things. This is based on RaKru largely grabbing the wheel, while handing a toy steering wheel to Terry to go zzzoooom zzzzoooom with, and Adams being competent — and the general vibe around the team is that they have to fire up the fans next season and make the playoffs. Trade picks for a 2C? Absolutely.

• Like (+1) 2

A few things from Friedman's Instigators Appearance this AM

During the Top to Bottom Review of the Organization one of the things that became apparent was that the schedule/workload for many of the scouts was light, which would fall under the more efficient category for the justification for trimming the department. He also mentioned he believes a few more scouts will be brought in.

Probably only one AGM

Friedman again mentioned Rick Dudley and that someone passed a note to him that Dudley's Contract might be up with Carolina.  Mentioned that he doesn't have an ego and only wants to find good hockey players. He mentioned his past connection to the team.  

It will be interesting to see if anything develops from this. (My words)

Friedman mentioned that people around the league are asking What the Hell is going on and that might prevent people from coming here.

He also mentioned that two people in the organization had contract extensions agreed upon (Chris Taylor) and that everyone else felt safe in their positions based on Kim's Interview from three weeks ago only to be nuked, and he did not like that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman again mentioned Rick Dudley and that someone passed a note to him that Dudley's Contract might be up with Carolina.  Mentioned that he doesn't have an ego and only wants to find good hockey players. He mentioned his past connection to the team.  

That kinda sounds like Dudley's agent inviting KA to give him a call.

I would be extremely psyched if this were to happen.  Among other things, Dudley looks like he can still win a 3:00 AM bar brawl.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

During the Top to Bottom Review of the Organization one of the things that became apparent was that the schedule/workload for many of the scouts was light, which would fall under the more efficient category for the justification for trimming the department. He also mentioned he believes a few more scouts will be brought in.

Probably only one AGM

Friedman mentioned that people around the league are asking What the Hell is going on and that might prevent people from coming here.

He also mentioned that two people in the organization had contract extensions agreed upon (Chris Taylor) and that everyone else felt safe in their positions based on Kim's Interview from three weeks ago only to be nuked, and he did not like that.

That all makes sense.  Dudley would be a good addition.  Nice to know about his contract situation.

The Pegulas are a nightmare from a PR standpoint.  They have zero feel for how they are perceived in any give situation.

45 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Detroit and Toronto. Babcock is a relic of an era of hockey that doesn't exist anymore

He did get multiple 100+ point seasons out of the Leafs. He might not be the final answer as a Cup winning coach, but he did a lot to mature a team with several players on entry level contracts.

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

That kinda sounds like Dudley's agent inviting KA to give him a call.

I would be extremely psyched if this were to happen.  Among other things, Dudley looks like he can still win a 3:00 AM bar brawl.

He's getting up there in years though.  That may have to be a 3PM bar brawl.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Probably only one AGM

I live for these kind of updates. Thanks for the continuous stream of info/summaries Brawndo ?

27 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Probably only one AGM

Last piece is the important piece... it'll fade, but right now its unlikely that players/coaches/scouts would want to come here.  

The light workload piece also triggers me... were these guys coasting?