Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Non traditional, no more hiring AGMs to be GM I guess. People they know well and trust like Adams. 

They gave too much leeway to GMTM and Botterill and got burned. 

Disagreement on contracts namely the term given to Eichel and Skinner, Botterill did not want to do either. 

Could you please rephrase? That’s confusing.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m hoping it means people with the Bettman stamp of approval.

It better not mean hiring a baseball guy.

Although that did work for the Chicago Bulls.

Wasn't Botterill the only one league recommended? Are there hires besides Adams to be GM where we might see this new stated philosophy? 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Non traditional, no more hiring AGMs to be GM I guess. People they know well and trust like Adams. 

Disagreement on contracts namely the term given to Eichel and Skinner, Botterill did not want to do either. 

Botterill did not want to give Eichel the best contract on the team because it was for too long, and he didn’t want to give Skinner the worst contract on the team for the same reason.

That’s...interesting.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hahahaha so Botterill's best value deal, he didn't want to hand out?

Just now, Thorny said:

Wasn't Botterill the only one league recommended? Are there hires besides Adams to be GM where we might see this new stated philosophy? 

Ive never heard MUrray was league-recommended, but Pat Lafontaine certainly was, and he hired MUrray.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Botterill did not want to give Eichel the best contract on the team because it was for too long, and he didn’t want to give Skinner the worst contract on the team for the same reason.

That’s...interesting.

He's so risk averse.

Just now, SDS said:

Could you please rephrase? That’s confusing.

Botterill is not a big believer in giving long term in contracts. He feels it hamstrings teams In the long run. Wanted to go shorter with both Jack And Skinner. With Skinner mentioned he wanted a shorter deal for a larger amount of money. Pegula overruled him in both cases and went max term. 

The Eichel Deal was considered one of his successes, if this is true, it’s another nail in Botterill‘s Coffin as Pegula smartly overruled him 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Botterill is not a big believer in giving long term in contracts. He feels it hamstrings teams In the long run. Wanted to go shorter with both Jack And Skinner. With Skinner mentioned he wanted a shorter deal for a larger amount of money. Pegula overruled him in both cases and went max term. 

The Eichel Deal was considered one of his successes, if this is true, it’s another nail in Botterill‘s Coffin as Pegula smartly overruled him 

Haha. Especially for the bolded portion. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s...interesting.

Well he’s batting .500 on that one

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Well he’s batting .500 on that one

Could you imagine if Eichel was in a spot like Sam right now? I'll take my chances that Skinner starts steaming hams again. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

The two teams that most abased themselves in the you-know-what.

Not a coincidence.

Meanwhile Edmonton is much improved as they have hired a competent experienced GM and Buffalo continues its path of futility. It has nothing to do with the tank. If you hire competent GMs good things happen.  We have 4 incompetent hires in a row. 4 executives who were first timers.  Lafontaine, Murray, Botteril, and Adams. This is the recipe for failure.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Did this come from 31 thoughts, or you?

If the latter, what else ya got?

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

What does non-NHL people even mean?

Thomas the sales manager from the Mercedes dealership.

Richard the general manager from Horizon Yachts in Florida.

Harry the cabana boy who resuscitated their Ashera cat Derrick three weeks ago.

This podcast was great. Juicy stuff we never hear from the local media. Brawndo presents more inside info. on the Sabres than the Buffalo media does. I'm serious.

The lasting image I have from the podcast was one of them envisioning a Pegula bubble, the owners with both hands on the wheel, them and Kevyn and Ralph, untraditional hires, against the world.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This podcast was great. Juicy stuff we never hear from the local media. Brawndo presents more inside info. on the Sabres than the Buffalo media does. I'm serious.

The lasting image I have from the podcast was one of them envisioning a Pegula bubble, the owners with both hands on the wheel, them and Kevyn and Ralph, untraditional hires, against the world.

I agree so many juicy tidbits which we don’t get from local media.   For me one takeaway was that agents were negotiating with Botterill as recently as a few days ago.  Then silence.  So maybe there was a “pitch” by JB of how to improve this offseason which was met with resistance.  Maybe his vision including keeping players like Carter Hutton and others we’re not in the plans of Kruger or Adams.  Maybe Adams who has no obligations or attachments to certain players recommended moving on a player such as Mitts.  I also found it interesting that Adams traveled with the team on a road trip which raised eyebrows amongst the insiders.

Very worthwhile.  Thanks @Brawndo

1 hour ago, shrader said:

People really need to move past this crap. At this point, they’ve been married for 27 years and have three kids. That doesn’t exactly mesh well with the “current girlfriend” implication you’re throwing out there. You guys don’t like him, fine, but there’s no reason to get all personal like this. Stick to the hockey. 

It was a hypothetical, not a literal. 

You need to move past that crap of taking it literal, and realize it was hypothetical. 

And yes, it has to do with hockey, since she’s the President of the Sabres. Would she retain the role if Terry left her tomorrow? 

56 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It was a hypothetical, not a literal. 

You need to move past that crap of taking it literal, and realize it was hypothetical. 

And yes, it has to do with hockey, since she’s the President of the Sabres. Would she retain the role if Terry left her tomorrow? 

The hypothetical just happens to be sexist trope. Congrats on either not realizing it or disingenuously pretending it isn't. 

I wonder how much longer any male in her position would get before the labels of "incompetence" started.

Cue the denials...