Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

They can pick apart Buffalo but no one else in the league.  I wouldn't call that the gold standard.  I really don't expect anything positive to happen there as long as Melnyk is the owner.  I fully expect him to complete that forensic analysis of Matt Cooke's skate before he gets his head out of his ass.

That said, if they do free themselves from him, then all bets are off.

Historically they can put together really good teams, but can't keep them together once players reach UFA age. All on ice indicators show me that this is about to happen again. I wish I could say so much about buffalo 

And it can pick apart other teams, including good ones. Their roster was still bad and young so they haven't achieved consistency yet. It's coming 

Edited by Randall Flagg

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Edges you are ***** terrible at your job, everyone can see it. How the hell can anyone expect any decision you ever make to work?

That question? He should be fired for representing his newspaper like that.

I thought Kim handled it better than I would.

They gave him the second question of the presser, right after Wawrow. And he does that? Wow.

42 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Are we happy? 

There was no move that would have made anyone happy. Maybe Pegs selling the team? 

14 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Chabot is gonna win Norrises.

They dont have an Eichel level forward but they will very quickly have a deep forward pool with plenty of good players. They already play a speed game that picks us apart and have demonstrated an ability to frustrate eichel more than most teams I've seen. The 4 goal game notwithstanding 

Wait until they have byfield and someone

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hawerchuk said:

Was Assistant Coach, Steve Smith, fired too? I did a search but couldn't find anything on this thread. Thanks in advance.

No. That is Kruegers buddy. Smith and his ***** PK are safe for now

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait until they have byfield and someone

The lottery can change that quite a bit though.  A few bad bounces there and they fall back a bit.  Until something different happens, for me they fall firmly into the "they'll find a way to screw it up" camp.  Buffalo's there as well, but they already have their stud player and he's locked up long term.  No one's there yet in Ottawa.

edit: And on another note, I really wasn't paying one bit of attention to the standings for a while.  I didn't realize just how far San Jose fell.

Edited by shrader

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

You can make a case that the Sabres are the worst-run franchise in the NHL, but the Senators alone make it a close contest.

True, but if the lottery is kind to Ottawa where they could possibly get the Top 2 picks in the draft or even 2 of the Top 5 after the Erik Karlsson debacle of a trade for SJ, that perception will also change in an instant.

Kim said its a results business and that's what I want to see.

I could care less about what is said, too much emphasis by some on that aspect. Verbal IQ ....jeez give me a break.?

Let's see what happens, that is what we should be after not words and flowery language. Some of the good GMs in this league barely made it out of HS.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The owner's vote of confidence is rarely a good thing. It could have as easily have been "JBot is our GM. We wanted to wait for the NHL's decision on handling the season and playoffs for this year, and then we'll do a full end-of-year review with GM JBot and other members of our staff, just like we always do."

It didn't need to include anything about unpopularity with fans or we know some inner information... It's ok to say "We're taking our time" especially this year where everything was in flux and still is, season/playoff/draft-wise.

I watched a great talk recently on how to spot untruthfulness that was given by an ex-CIA. Of course, there’s always the body language thing, but there’s also the “too much information” thing. This is where the person starts giving information outside of the question that was asked in order to try to convince or distract. I think the “we have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does, some inner workings that we see some positives in” statement immediately comes to mind. It was an unnecessary thing to say. This wasn’t a decision made in the last 3 weeks. 

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I watched a great talk recently on how to spot untruthfulness that was given by an ex-CIA. Of course, there’s always the body language thing, but there’s also the “too much information” thing. This is where the person starts giving information outside of the question that was asked in order to try to convince or distract. I think the “we have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does, some inner workings that we see some positives in” statement immediately comes to mind. It was an unnecessary thing to say. This wasn’t a decision made in the last 3 weeks. 

The information appears to be on the financial side. The decision was to scale things down. Botterill did not agree. The decision let him go appears to be new. I think the financial story makes total sense and there is no lying, just not divulging details.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a vow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

The information appears to be on the financial side. The decision was to scale things down. Botterill did not agree. The decision let him go appears to be new. I think the financial story makes total sense and there is no lying, just not divulging details.

The quote is from when Kim announced that Jason would return. She said something very similar today, but I don't recall what the context of the comment was.

21 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a vow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
And I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.

• Like (+1) 6

48 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m not talking about lying, yet rather not disclosing the truth. I think there’s a difference, because I’m certainly not going to call the Pegulas liars. They are not, but they are also not required to give fans the truth. Over the last hour, I watched the press conference. It was full of evading the truth. This is OK. 

I guess I don’t fully understand the financial story. Are the Pegulas heading to the poor house soon? They certain can’t dig another well given oil and gas prices. Are we heading towards a sequestration (ie suffering)?

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just don't see a direction. Being unable to articulate a path forward in that presser made me more concerned about the time. Hearing why Adams got the job is concerning. It's just more flailing.

Not to be jerk, but I think you missed the entire message of the PC. You want to hear how they think they are going to win the Stanley Cup. That wasn’t their message. That is not what they wanted to tell us. And they didn’t. 

The direction, at least in the short term, is to reduce costs of this organization. They didn’t speak hockey. They talked financials the entire time. 

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I mean, they've spent a ton of money to be terrible. Why not spend less money to be terrible?

Absolutely. If there isn’t any gratification of getting the accolades from winning, then the money they are spending at the moment is foolish. And maybe when they had $5 billion and they only had the Sabres that wasn’t an issue. Now it’s an issue.