Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Right now, the biggest things I want to hear about from GMKev of his plans at the presser:

1. His vision of a team (e.g. GMTM top 6 and a mean bottom 6, heavy team; or JBot fast, aggressive forechecking). Because if he wants to go back to heavy, that gives a timeline on acquiring and developing those players. I prefer fast, but of course big and fast is awesome. Or if he wants tenacity --- it means some of our less physical players need to go. etc. And that switchover leads to timelines to player acquisition.
  2. Viewpoints and plans for analytics and cap management
  3. His priorities in the next 90 days while the league is in a hybrid stasis/playoff mode (is he just assembling his crew, or is he resigning RFAs, or is he wheeling/dealing with the other lottery teams. What does he want to focus on first, knowing that there's no Sabres hockey until.... whenever.

What do y'all need/want to hear?

I heard nothing on any of these with possible exception of #3 in that GM Adams has a list, and they'll tackle it one-at-a-time but it's only been a few hours on the job.

Granted, that was really a Pegula press conference and not a GM press conference.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not sure about Adams. 

So much relief that Jason isn't making this summer's decisions.

Right. Botterill, theoretically, was ready to execute some kind of master plan that might have crippled this team for years.

Maybe Krueger and Adams can prove to be more careful with their asset management.

• Like (+1) 1

Hearing the Pegulas, can anyone with a clear mind have any true confidence this franchise is heading in any direction?

I am no fan of Harrington, but he asked the tough question to Kim Pegula, and she stumbled around it badly.

Until further notice is the worst franchise in the NHL, and its not particularly close.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Until further notice is the worst franchise in the NHL, and its not particularly close.

You can make a case that the Sabres are the worst-run franchise in the NHL, but the Senators alone make it a close contest.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Your are focusing on the wrong thing. The Sabres will not be able to do what the Bills did. There isn't eh free agency or the depth to the draft like the NFL has. The Sabres have to draft better or none it will matter. 

I understand and I get all  the differences between NHL and NFL.  Really.  Thank you. 

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

You can make a case that the Sabres are the worst-run franchise in the NHL, but the Senators alone make it a close contest.

The Senators will have have much better talent than us after this year’s draft 

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

Kim and Terry sound like they have poor communication skills (low verbal IQ).  That's why they had hired another dolt in GMJBot.

Kevyn Adams, Kruger (and JMTM) all seem much better skilled in English, and that's a good omen.  

JMTM wasn't all rainbows and unicorns, but he got 2 #1 C's, a #1 LW, and a #1 G; JBot lost 2 of those for little return.

Gerry Meehan didn't have a huge hockey higher-up resume when he was hired (he was an ex-Sabre player and a laywer), and Meehan

got us Mogilny.

Smilin' Ger also got us Lafontaine.

39 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Hearing the Pegulas, can anyone with a clear mind have any true confidence this franchise is heading in any direction?

I am no fan of Harrington, but he asked the tough question to Kim Pegula, and she stumbled around it badly.

Edges you are ***** terrible at your job, everyone can see it. How the hell can anyone expect any decision you ever make to work?

That question? He should be fired for representing his newspaper like that.

I thought Kim handled it better than I would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, freester said:

The Senators will have have much better talent than us after this year’s draft 

That's not the point I was making. Their owner is - from all accounts - an absolute unmitigated nightmare. So, they are arguably worse off when it comes to how they're run.

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

What do they have that even enters a discussion of matching the Eichel/Dahlin combo?

Chabot is gonna win Norrises.

They dont have an Eichel level forward but they will very quickly have a deep forward pool with plenty of good players. They already play a speed game that picks us apart and have demonstrated an ability to frustrate eichel more than most teams I've seen. The 4 goal game notwithstanding 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Edges you are ***** terrible at your job, everyone can see it. How the hell can anyone expect any decision you ever make to work?

That question? He should be fired for representing his newspaper like that.

I thought Kim handled it better than I would.

And that's a cold (paraphrased) transcript of the question. His tone was SO nasty.

Weird, weird dude.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, shrader said:

What do they have that even enters a discussion of matching the Eichel/Dahlin combo?

High end quantity. Chabot, Tkachuk, Pageau, Duclair, Brown. top prospects Brannstrom and Batherson. 2 picks in top 9 this year. While none of these have the potential of Eichel or Dahlin, they are a much deeper team that is poised to have success in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

And that's a cold (paraphrased) transcript of the question. His tone was SO nasty.

Weird, weird dude.

There's a reason MH never breaks any stories -- he has no sources in the organization because they are put off by his mannerisms.

Just now, freester said:

High end quantity. Chabot, Tkachuk, Pageau, Duclair, Brown. top prospects Brannstrom and Batherson. 2 picks in top 9 this year. While none of these have the potential of Eichel or Dahlin, they are a much deeper team that is poised to have success in the future. 

Chabot has almost as high a ceiling as Dahlin and has demonstrated Karlsson-like impact on nhl ice already (of course, he's had 3 more years of development). Its entirely possible that he winds up a better player long term 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Chabot is gonna win Norrises.

They dont have an Eichel level forward but they will very quickly have a deep forward pool with plenty of good players. They already play a speed game that picks us apart and have demonstrated an ability to frustrate eichel more than most teams I've seen. The 4 goal game notwithstanding 

They can pick apart Buffalo but no one else in the league.  I wouldn't call that the gold standard.  I really don't expect anything positive to happen there as long as Melnyk is the owner.  I fully expect him to complete that forensic analysis of Matt Cooke's skate before he gets his head out of his ass.

That said, if they do free themselves from him, then all bets are off.

48 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Tough question? He raised his voice and called her incompetent! She may well be but that's inappropriate behavior from a journalist.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Weird, weird dude.

He crossed a line there.