Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that McD and BB deserve the credit, but the Pegulas deserve credit for finding McD and trusting him to build the organization, including bringing in the guy he wanted as GM.

I think it's fair to surmise -- and highly likely -- that the Pegulas looked at their experience with McD, decided that they felt similarly about RK, decided that they wanted to keep RK and trust him with a senior and influential role in the organization, and decided that a less-experienced GM who was on the same page as RK would work with the Sabres, as it did with the Bills.  That is, more or less, a management model.

Aha … the old "hire the Coach to lead and the GM to follow" model.  I see what you mean. 

What happened with the Bills was unorthodox - hire the new coach, let him run the draft, and then bring in his buddy to be GM.  Luckily Beane is extremely capable too.   Maybe this will work, especially with Krueger's obvious leadership skills in play.   

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Per Sabres

Love how the official Sabres release looks like a Weight Watchers “before and after” video - not so much the difference in pounds but how they chose a photo of Adams smiling against a bright background, contrasted with the dark, brooding photo of Jason.  Good stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, the Bills have made it to two playoff games in twenty years, lost both, and theirs is the model the Sabres are aspiring to?!

Jebus we really need to aim higher.

After 18 years of missing the playoffs that included all manner of insanity, the Bills hired a GM and coach who decided to blow up and rebuild the roster and despite that, made the playoffs two out of three seasons.

If it turns out that the only thing Beane and McDermott accomplish is those two playoff seasons, sure it's a failure.  But they are still building the roster, so they get the benefit of confidence that they know what they're doing.

• Like (+1) 1

Kim Pegula needs to watch "The Opposite" episode from season 5 of Seinfeld.  Like George Costanza, whatever hockey savvy she thinks she has (bought)....she needs to do the exact opposite.  By doing the opposite of what she thinks is the best thing may finally right the ship vs. rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with Adams.

Adams next role should have been as an Assistant GM, he is not qualified to lead and is in over his head.  

As James T. Kirk said to Kahn, "I (the rest of the NHL) is laughing at the superior intellect" (of Kim Pegula)

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

So Adams was Deep Throat, under the Skyway.

Ooooooooooohhhh.  Now THAT is an interesting bit of speculation.  Adams may have leaked the fact that JB spent $13MM on, and stuck with, a blind goalie!  And then JB gets canned a couple of days later!

I don't even care whether it's a "that" or a "whether."  Full marks for PA.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Seems like the Sabres continue to stuck in GM mud.

Tell me why this move makes any sense, cus I don't see it?

It's just how Terry and now Kerry make decisions. They play small ball. Pittsburgh people (Black, Sawyer, Patrick, Bylsma, Botterill), former Sabre "greats" (Nolan, LaFontaine, Housley), inexperienced people (Murray and almost all of the above), and now an administrative type in the organization with no GM experience, but they know him and they like his jib. All that money, and no guts. The glaring exception and possibly their ultimate savior could be RaKru.

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, the Bills have made it to two playoff games in twenty years, lost both, and theirs is the model the Sabres are aspiring to?!

Team is a disaster for two decades, where several resets fail to dent that, suddenly reverses to make it two out of three years? And looks poised for an extended period of contending?

Could do a lot worse

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Team is a disaster for two decades, where several resets fail to dent that, suddenly reverses to make it two out of three years? And looks poised for an extended period of contending?

Could do a lot worse

The Bills started drafting well... changed everything.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Uh, oh. Heads-up son, though I'm happy to be out of the line of fire.

So Adams was Deep Throat, under the Skyway.

You've got a new spring in your step there, young man.

9 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Love how the official Sabres release looks like a Weight Watchers “before and after” video - not so much the difference in pounds but how they chose a photo of Adams smiling against a bright background, contrasted with the dark, brooding photo of Jason.  Good stuff. 

This made me LOL. And, really - that is just a bad photo of the new guy. That's the best they could do?

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This made me LOL. And, really - that is just a bad photo of the new guy. That's the best they could do?

He's been with the organization since 2013 and they only have one photo of him smiling on a tarmac?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe Botterill didn't want Larsson and Krueger did and that was  the straw that broke the Buffalo's back.

Does this move make Angry Larry happy?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's just how Terry and now Kerry make decisions. They play small ball. Pittsburgh people (Black, Sawyer, Patrick, Bylsma, Botterill), former Sabre "greats" (Nolan, LaFontaine, Housley), inexperienced people (Murray and almost all of the above), and now an administrative type in the organization with no GM experience, but they know him and they like his jib. All that money, and no guts. The glaring exception and possibly their ultimate savior could be RaKru.

Nice, but it does not answer my question.  Probably becasue there is no answer to my question.  I agree that RaKru is the guy who will ultimately, if not now, be running the whole show.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my spelling of because does not look right, but ... I'll leave it ... I don't spell very goodly either

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But realistically, you can't say you're evaluating the GM.  Simply saying you're doing that says you don't have confidence in him and at that point they're better off firing him.

A "no comment" says you don't have confidence in him and at that point they're better off firing him.

There are only 2 answers that don't say you don't have confidence in the GM: saying he's your guy (regardless of whether he actually is) or not taking any questions at all.

I see your point but you sure can say your evaluating everything,  you can even say the GM is helping us in the evaluation.  So he is part of it.  I probably would have went with that. 

There really is no defense for her leadership.  There are results and the results tell the story.  So if RK and Adams turn this around I will be happy to say I am wrong and they made a great move.    I am pleased to see Botterill go and Adams cannot be worse. 

14 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Seems like the Sabres continue to stuck in GM mud.

Tell me why this move makes any sense, cus I don't see it?

If you have a predictive method to choosing people in sports, better than what is being used today, you would be wealthy beyond your wildest imagination. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Bills started drafting well... changed everything.

And they fixed the cap salary immediately.  And they got rid of players that did not buy in.  And they used free agency in the right way.  And they hired good coaches. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

You've got a new spring in your step there, young man.

I'm as good once, as I ever was.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pimlach said:

And the fixed the cap salary immediately.  And they got rid of players that did not buy in.  And they used free agency in the right way.  And they hired good coaches. 

None of that matters if you don't draft well. Edmunds, Allen (maybe), White, Singeltary etc... were all drafted and fill key holes that make everything else go.

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

They also vastly improved in free agency.  

Sure but the NHL doesn't have the UFA that NFL does so for Sabres, it has to start at the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

And the fixed the cap salary immediately.  And they got rid of players that did not buy in.  And they used free agency in the right way.  And they hired good coaches. 

Football isn’t even close to hockey in salary cap management. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I see your point but you sure can say your evaluating everything,  you can even say the GM is helping us in the evaluation.  So he is part of it.  I probably would have went with that.

There really is no defense for her leadership.  There are results and the results tell the story.  So if RK and Adams turn this around I will be happy to say I am wrong and they made a great move.    I am pleased to see Botterill go and Adams cannot be worse. 

If she were more adept at the podium, that MIGHT have been an acceptable answer.  But, even though she's been an owner for the better (or worse) part of a decade, she's only been the one facing the tough questions for a couple of years.  No way, IMHO, that she could've pulled it off.  Brandon probably could've pulled it off, but she's not nearly that greasy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

None of that matters if you don't draft well. Edmunds, Allen (maybe), White, Singeltary etc... were all drafted and fill key holes that make everything else go.

And the defense is nowhere as good without Hyde and Poyer.  

Beane is just good at every phase of player acquisition. 

The only criticism I have is that he spent a lot of capital to draft Allen, but if Allen continues to prove he's the guy, who cares what they gave up.

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

And the defense is nowhere as good without Hyde and Poyer.  

Beane is just good at every phase of player acquisition. 

The only criticism I have is that he spent a lot of capital to draft Allen, but if Allen continues to prove he's the guy, who cares what they gave up.

Im not arguing he isn't. I am arguing in any sport it starts at the draft. You draft poorly and the rest doesn't really matter. You could link player acquisition to the draft because both evaluate talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SwampD said:

those 2 games were in the last 3 years and Bills are now considered a top team in the league. Hire a good GM and coach...that's the model

• Like (+1) 2