Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Mike Gillis. 

He would be a very good addition to the front office.  It would improve the odds of Adams succeeding tremendously.  Any reason at all to expect it to be something he'd be willing to do?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

He would be a very good addition to the front office.  It would improve the odds of Adams succeeding tremendously.  Any reason at all to expect it to be something he'd be willing to do?

I have no reason to believe they will. I think Gillis is more of a tough personality to bring in (strong willed) and therefore will not be brought in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

That nickname is going to need some serious work.

it may look awkward, but, say it out loud ... it just flows. another good one from @PASabreFan - our resident chris berman, practically.

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think this is something that will NEED to happen for me to feel good about this. I need to see experienced people around Adams.

craig patrick?!

Muhammad Ali Boxing GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

On one hand I hate that they don't have the sense to hire a GM who has had previous GM experience, but a new GM would probably want their own coach and I like Krueger. Promoting Adams means Ralph isn't going anywhere. 

Yes -- I think this was a factor.  I think the Pegulas like RK and didn't want to have to can him after 1 year -- both because they like him and because it would contribute to their reputation as being trigger-happy.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What model?    We Sabres fans tend to look for any correlation to justify the stupidity of the Pegula's.   They got help from Polian and the NFL and they were fortunate to hire McDermott, which helped them to get Beane.  Beane and McDermott have transformed the Bills and deserve all the credit.  There is no management model that they followed, these hiring's are all isolated and random events. 

Since Botterill hired Krueger,  Botterill and RK should make more sense as following a model than than Krueger and Adams.  Krueger and Adams are leftovers from and organization that probably should be blown up.   Hopefully one of them can find us better players because better players will fix a lot of problems. 

I agree that McD and BB deserve the credit, but the Pegulas deserve credit for finding McD and trusting him to build the organization, including bringing in the guy he wanted as GM.

I think it's fair to surmise -- and highly likely -- that the Pegulas looked at their experience with McD, decided that they felt similarly about RK, decided that they wanted to keep RK and trust him with a senior and influential role in the organization, and decided that a less-experienced GM who was on the same page as RK would work with the Sabres, as it did with the Bills.  That is, more or less, a management model.

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

I would be surprised at all if it was the blind Hutton news that angered the Pagulas. Playing hockey with a goalie that can’t see straight. Maybe not JBott fault, but looks terrible 

Yes -- I think this also played a role.  Yet another embarrassing revelation about JB's handpicked FA goalie, who has stunk.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A 1st time GM that in 3 years had his team 31st, 25th, & 25th place would voluntarily leave a year early; presumably to increase his odds of getting another GM job somewhere else?  How does that make any sense?

If he stuck around and got some luck next year (including landing a true 2C & getting settled goaltending) he could still be a GM 2 years from now.  He's likely waiting another decade for this opportunity again, if he ever gets back into a GM's chair.

I never said to get another GM job...he might know hes not getting one...but maybe there is an assistant GM job or some other job available he has heard about through friends and knows he will be gone from buffalo, so wants to take another 'lesser' job now while the getting is good. Or maybe he found out being a GM in a situation like Buffalo just isn't for him...he knows he will be gone soon and wants the time off (pressure on family, not liking the community, family issue/sickness).  Once again, I didn't say at all it was for another GM job, not sure where you are getting that from.

Just now, Trettioåtta said:

Adams is a WNY guy. I wonder if that factored into his involvement / choice

I hope not.  I mean, its great you have a local guy...but I'd want the decision on my gm to be 99.5% or more because you think he will be a good GM...less than 0.5% because he is local.

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

This is a bit harsh, considering that the 'vote of confidence' is a cliche is sports.  The owner says that the GM or coach has my complete confidence, and then fires them two weeks later.

There are reasons for this happening, most likely that the press asks the question before the owner is ready to answer it, but it's not exclusively a Pegula thing.

Anyway, if Adams turns out to be as competent as Beane, Kim Pegula will be considered one of the best GMs in the league, if he turns out to be Botterill jr, she'll be considered one of the worst.

She is not a GM at all.  She is the President and Owner. 

What you suggest just proves her inability to lead an organization.  If the press asks a question that you are not ready to answer then don't answer it. 

Like this:

Press:  Kim, are you going to stick with Botterill for his fourth year under contract.

A safe and smart Answer:   We are currently evaluating everything in an effort to get better and Jason is part of the evaluation

Kim's Answer (paraphrased):  We are staying with Botterril, we know that is not popular with fans, we have more insight than the fans.

My comments are not really harsh given the Pegula's track record.  The team has consistently gotten worse for 10 years.  I am under no illusion that Kevyn Adams is the next Brandon Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Not to give the Pegulas much credit here but, frankly, I don't blame them for picking someone inside the org that they've known for a long time.

They've had plenty of "help" from the league, and advice from outside "experts", and look where it has gotten them? A bunch of schmuck GMs and coaches.

Buddy had a good take: Pegulas are searching for what is wrong with the franchise, checking out their options and comparing it to what they’ve seen work with the Bills. They ask Adams “you’ve been here for a while, what would you do differently.” They like the answer. They ask Ralph. They like the answer. They grill Botterill on same, they don’t like the answer.

I think people are glossing over the most important part of the release: Ralph and Kevyn will be working together to rebuild the hockey department.

We are going to see a Bills-style front office put together with Ralph playing McDermott and Adams playing Beane. Hopefully they build it out with the same quality of lieutenants in the right spots as we’ve seen with the Bills and it leads to the same kind of success.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

I never said to get another GM job...he might know hes not getting one...but maybe there is an assistant GM job or some other job available he has heard about through friends and knows he will be gone from buffalo, so wants to take another 'lesser' job now while the getting is good. Or maybe he found out being a GM in a situation like Buffalo just isn't for him...he knows he will be gone soon and wants the time off (pressure on family, not liking the community, family issue/sickness).  Once again, I didn't say at all it was for another GM job, not sure where you are getting that from.

How would an AGM role that might be available now not be made available next year?  Teams aren't necessarily limited to a single AGM.

And, how does a guy that holds one of only 31/32 of a particular job in the entire world so lacking in self confidence that he "knows he'll be gone from buffalo [sic]" next year?

And, really can't see a situation where he simply doesn't like the job anymore has come to pass.  Per reports, he took a payout to keep the job just a few weeks ago.

Get thag you're just spitballin', but this being HIS decision makes absolutely no sense on any but the most esoteric of levels.

12 minutes ago, darksabre said:

lol what

LOL   -- I am saying that the Pegula's  did not use a model to hire McD and Beane.  If you are suggesting that McD and Beane have "a model" on how they run the Bills I agree that they do have a plan and they have established a culture.

If you are suggesting that Kevyn Adams is more willing to adopt some notional "Bills Model" than Botterill is, well then maybe so.   Adams is going to say anything to get the GM job.  Which again leads me to wonder what is going on in Sabres Land. 

So, the Bills have made it to two playoff games in twenty years, lost both, and theirs is the model the Sabres are aspiring to?!

Jebus we really need to aim higher.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm listening to the Instigators right now for the first time in a long time.  Craig Rivet with a really crappy internet connection is an interesting step up from his usual self.

"Eyn gonna tell ya ... "

I cringe every time I hear him say that.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Buddy had a good take: Pegulas are searching for what is wrong with the franchise, checking out their options and comparing it to what they’ve seen work with the Bills. They ask Adams “you’ve been here for a while, what would you do differently.” They like the answer. They ask Ralph. They like the answer. They grill Botterill on same, they don’t like the answer.

I think people are glossing over the most important part of the release: Ralph and Kevyn will be working together to rebuild the hockey department.

We are going to see a Bills-style front office put together with Ralph playing McDermott and Adams playing Beane. Hopefully they build it out with the same quality of lieutenants in the right spots as we’ve seen with the Bills and it leads to the same kind of success.

It's hard for me to imagine it's anything other than this.

The priority is simply to have the right people. If the balance of power falls in a non-traditional way then so be it.

Sometimes you find people that fit a structure. Other times you find a structure that fits people. It just depends on where your strengths are: structure, or people?

Looks like they're saying: keep the good people and make things work for them. In that case, it's a vote of confidence in Krueger. They see him as valuable enough to change the structure to fit around him.

League traditions be damned.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What you suggest just proves her inability to lead an organization.  If the press asks a question that you are not ready to answer then don't answer it. 

Like this:

Press:  Kim, are you going to stick with Botterill for his fourth year under contract.

A safe and smart Answer:   We are currently evaluating everything in an effort to get better and Jason is part of the evaluation

Kim's Answer (paraphrased):  We are staying with Botterril, we know that is not popular with fans, we have more insight than the fans.

My comments are not really harsh given the Pegula's track record.  The team has consistently gotten worse for 10 years.  I am under no illusion that Kevyn Adams is the next Brandon Beane. 

But realistically, you can't say you're evaluating the GM.  Simply saying you're doing that says you don't have confidence in him and at that point they're better off firing him.

A "no comment" says you don't have confidence in him and at that point they're better off firing him.

There are only 2 answers that don't say you don't have confidence in the GM: saying he's your guy (regardless of whether he actually is) or not taking any questions at all.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Philosophical differences? What did they discuss when they interviewed him a few years ago?

I think this speaks to Botterill being a lame duck had he stayed on...everyone knew his job was on the line.

I assume they didn't want him operating with that looming over his shoulder.

Would he actually try to trade Eichel to save his job? Did he want to keep things together and they wanted to blow things up? Along those lines.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Like this:

Thanks for catching my typo. Obviously I know Kim's position.

And whether your illusion is valid or not remains to be seen.  Many who followed the Bills at the time of Beane's hiring wanted a more experienced GM.  Many wanted Beane to report to a more experienced football operations guy, like Bill Polian.  Beane, despite his inexperience, has proven himself fully capable of performing the job, and the Pegulas look to be capable NFL owners.

The hiring of a competent GM will do the same with the Sabres.  It remains to be seen if Adams will be that guy for the Sabres.

Edited by jad1
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There are only 2 answers that don't say you don't have confidence in the GM: saying he's your guy (regardless of whether he actually is) or not taking any questions at all.

Always two there are. A master and an A response that raises alarm and a non-response that raises alarm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Like this:

Here's why you're wrong:

If JBots knows his job is in jeopardy, he will go into job preservation mode. Try to tell the Pegs everything they want to hear. If he feels 100% comfortable, he will show his hand completely. He probably did, and that was the final straw.

They played it perfectly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe Adams and Krueger will work well together and the team will start to rise up?   This sequence of events leads me to believe that the Kim Pegula management style is "Shoot, Ready, AIM".    Every time she talks she sounds like she just read something new in an MBA book.   I do not get the sense that she is a skilled or a natural leader.

More what I was getting to with my "command of thoughts" comment post. She knows all the buzzwords, but do they mean anything in reality?

"Philosophical differences" is something we've all kind of cruised past on this highway. I hope someone asks what that boiled down to. If they won't explain what Botterill's philosophy was, I sure hope they will explain theirs going forward.

56 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This bit from your post prompted me to think that the Kruegams tandem may - in the Pegulas' mind - be akin to the McBeane pairing.

Dang. I've been calling him Adam.

45 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, nhl insiders are beyond useless unless providing gossip they were told

None of them had jason getting fired, and all of their analysis settled on it being the players fault for the most part. Just useless, uninteresting analysis, rarely more than 20% correct/accurate/complete in scope 

Uh, oh. Heads-up son, though I'm happy to be out of the line of fire.

42 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Not too joke too much, but give it a month or two with Adams at the helm...if major moves are not made soon, there will be people calling for this.

What if Adams, like LaLa, finds out a few months down the road he doesn't have much power?

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yes -- I think this also played a role.  Yet another embarrassing revelation about JB's handpicked FA goalie, who has stunk.

So Adams was Deep Throat, under the Skyway.