Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe they did have the candid conversations, JBOT said one thing and they agreed with it then he came back and said "Well, I rethought this and here is what I want  to do instead" and they were like "Nope, we don't like that." Or maybe  JBOT wasn't being completely honest with them in regards to what he wanted to do or the full scope of it. Could be a lot of reasons behind the change.

Maybe Pilut leaving was the kiss of death because Botterill was clueless about it?

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

What on earth could have changed the owners' tune? Nothing has happened

Lol maybe jason had had them sold on the Pilut top 4 plan and then he left and they realized that the excess of defensemen that was gonna help our top six turned into a normal number of defensemen plus only a 4th rounder.

In all seriousness, it sounded like they were pretty close to firing JB, then Eichel aired his grievances, then yet another Sabre (Pilut) decided to bail -- so Pilut really could've been the last straw.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Given what we've been hearing/reading about the Pegual's, if he has been there that long and has no experience, sounds like they went and got a puppet 

I wouldn't say puppet, but I do think RK is playing the McD role and Adams is playing the Beane role.

59 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Too soon:  there are a lot of RFAs and a handful of key UFAs to sign for this upcoming season; Botts finally was out from under the years of crap contracts signed by previous GMs; why wait all this time to fire a GM that had just gotten to the point he was finally able to operate without the fully burdened weight of previous managers

Too late: what changed from the beginning of this season until the end?   The '19-20 Sabres were always a playoff bubble team, and that's exactly where they finished.  Why keep your GM all season when you have several key negotiations coming up?  

I can be satisfied.  It just requires competence, a high level of performance, and critical thinking from team ownership all the way down to equipment managers.  Unfortunately that has been in short supply lately...

No.  Narrowly missing the 24-team pandemic-driven playoffs does not mean they were a bubble team.

29 minutes ago, Don Dokken said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-14-sabres-vice-president-of-business-administration-kevyn-adams

Adams on WGR back in February. Not exactly any clues in there about how he’d run a team — but, frankly, as someone who thought Botterill came across as an idiot in every interview he ever did, I can already tell I’ll find Adams refreshing

Adams has always interviewed well.  I have tended to discount that quality because he's been part of a franchise that has delivered consistently terrible results.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This bit from your post prompted me to think that the Kruegams tandem may - in the Pegulas' mind - be akin to the McBeane pairing.

This is basically what I'm seeing. They're really happy with the model and the ethos of the Bills right now, so why wouldn't they want that same model on the Sabres? The Bills are efficient and effective, the Sabres are a convoluted and useless mess.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

I honestly don't understand people having an issue with Kim's statement about JBots a month ago. You think the owners are going to give us a candid play-by-play of their sentiments, and drop hints they might not be happy with the GM?

Short of being ready to fire him, the statement Kim made is the only acceptable statement to make about an employee, in any organization. It boggles my mind that this isn't understood. Reality TV culture, maybe?

• Like (+1) 1

Also, nhl insiders are beyond useless unless providing gossip they were told

None of them had jason getting fired, and all of their analysis settled on it being the players fault for the most part. Just useless, uninteresting analysis, rarely more than 20% correct/accurate/complete in scope 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:
  • Kim 3 weeks ago on Boterill staying for his 4th year:  “I realize, maybe it’s not popular with the fans, but we have to do the things that we feel are right,” she said at the time. “We have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does, some inner workings that we see some positives in.”

The owner's vote of confidence is rarely a good thing. It could have as easily have been "JBot is our GM. We wanted to wait for the NHL's decision on handling the season and playoffs for this year, and then we'll do a full end-of-year review with GM JBot and other members of our staff, just like we always do."

It didn't need to include anything about unpopularity with fans or we know some inner information... It's ok to say "We're taking our time" especially this year where everything was in flux and still is, season/playoff/draft-wise.

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I honestly don't understand people having an issue with Kim's statement about JBots a month ago. You think the owners are going to give us a candid play-by-play of their sentiments, and drop hints they might not be happy with the GM?

Short of being ready to fire him, the statement Kim made is the only acceptable statement to make about an employee, in any organization. It boggles my mind that this isn't understood. Reality TV culture, maybe?

Well, I agree with the bolded -- but why did they make the statement about keeping JB to begin with?  There was no need to say anything about him at that time, or at least nothing beyond "we're evaluating the organization and will make an announcement when that process is complete."

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Not too joke too much, but give it a month or two with Adams at the helm...if major moves are not made soon, there will be people calling for this.

It will take more than a couple months probably. The regular league off-season won't happen until September probably. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

This is basically what I'm seeing. They're really happy with the model and the ethos of the Bills right now, so why wouldn't they want that same model on the Sabres? The BIlls are efficient and effective, the Sabres are a convoluted and useless mess.

Remember though, the Bills model has an inexperienced HC & an inexperienced GM but both have a TON of experienced assistants.  There's at least 1 former GM working for Beane & at least 1 former HC working for McDermott.  The Sabres don't have anything close to that.  But if they did bring that kind of support in, I'd be a lot more encouraged.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of speculation here, but.....

Maybe Botts asked for his 'release'?  I think a common thought was that if the Sabres don't make the playoffs next year he was going to be gone for sure...and maybe he just thought he'd be too much of a lame duck...and asked out?

Just now, Taro T said:

Remember though, the Bills model has an inexperienced HC & an inexperienced GM but both have a TON of experienced assistants.  There's at least 1 former GM working for Beane & at least 1 former HC working for McDermott.  The Sabres don't have anything close to that.  But if they did bring that kind of support in, I'd be a lot more encouraged.

Mike Gillis. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I agree with the bolded -- but why did they make the statement about keeping JB to begin with?  There was no need to say anything about him at that time, or at least nothing beyond "we're evaluating the organization and will make an announcement when that process is complete."

I think the bolded would lead to nothing but speculation. I hadn't considered why they felt moved to make a statement in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe Shmaybe, we can dream of "maybe's"  but the facts remain the Sabres front office has been lousy since The Pegula's have come on board.     

Good leaders have a vision, they know what they want, they know their people, they build organizations that breeds loyalty and commitment, were everyone is locked in.   This does not describe the Sabres under Kim Pegula. 

Poor leaders, like Kim Pegula, will consistently yield poor performance and high turnover.   Either Botterill is the right guy and they see thing that we fans don't or not.  Her credibility is ZERO.  No maybes about that.  

I will pray for more good luck. 

This is a bit harsh, considering that the 'vote of confidence' is a cliche is sports.  The owner says that the GM or coach has my complete confidence, and then fires them two weeks later.

There are reasons for this happening, most likely that the press asks the question before the owner is ready to answer it, but it's not exclusively a Pegula thing.

Anyway, if Adams turns out to be as competent as Beane, Kim Pegula will be considered one of the best GMs in the league, if he turns out to be Botterill jr, she'll be considered one of the worst.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

A lot of speculation here, but.....

Maybe Botts asked for his 'release'?  I think a common thought was that if the Sabres don't make the playoffs next year he was going to be gone for sure...and maybe he just thought he'd be too much of a lame duck...and asked out?

A 1st time GM that in 3 years had his team 31st, 25th, & 25th place would voluntarily leave a year early; presumably to increase his odds of getting another GM job somewhere else?  How does that make any sense?

If he stuck around and got some luck next year (including landing a true 2C & getting settled goaltending) he could still be a GM 2 years from now.  He's likely waiting another decade for this opportunity again, if he ever gets back into a GM's chair.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Taro T said:

I think this is something that will NEED to happen for me to feel good about this. I need to see experienced people around Adams.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is basically what I'm seeing. They're really happy with the model and the ethos of the Bills right now, so why wouldn't they want that same model on the Sabres? The Bills are efficient and effective, the Sabres are a convoluted and useless mess.

What model?    We Sabres fans tend to look for any correlation to justify the stupidity of the Pegula's.   They got help from Polian and the NFL and they were fortunate to hire McDermott, which helped them to get Beane.  Beane and McDermott have transformed the Bills and deserve all the credit.  There is no management model that they followed, these hiring's are all isolated and random events. 

Since Botterill hired Krueger,  Botterill and RK should make more sense as following a model than than Krueger and Adams.  Krueger and Adams are leftovers from and organization that probably should be blown up.   Hopefully one of them can find us better players because better players will fix a lot of problems. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It will take more than a couple months probably. The regular league off-season won't happen until September probably. 

This is the key to remember. Player excitement isn't going to happen anytime soon. The bulk of the NHL still has some form of season robin/playoff to finish. Adams can wheel and deal with the other ousted teams, and he can start up with our RFAs and prepare for the draft. He does have 3 months to get all of the staff in place, etc., except of course, many teams aren't in the offseason yet, so getting people associated with other franchises might be slow/tricky.

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

What model?    We Sabres fans tend to look for any correlation to justify the stupidity of the Pegula's.   They got help from Polian and the NFL and they were fortunate to hire McDermott, which helped them to get Beane.  Beane and McDermott have transformed the Bills and deserve all the credit.  There is no management model that they followed, these hiring's are all isolated and random events. 

Since Botterill hired Krueger,  Botterill and RK should make more sense as following a model than than Krueger and Adams.  Krueger and Adams are leftovers from and organization that probably should be blown up.   Hopefully one of them can find us better players because better players will fix a lot of problems. 

lol what