Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Please tell us more...

Well he was open for comming to Buffalo before last season and he was indeed involved in the discussions but Jbot went with Ralph instead. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/devils-reportedly-contacted-swedish-coach-rikard-gronborg-head-coaching-position/u2pvouel2c0w1q1rl7prhupkp

Interview, 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The idea of Krueger playing GM/coach is a troubling one.  With an 82 game schedule and multiple leagues to scout it's too much for one guy to handle.

Scotty Bowman tried to play both roles with the Sabres and failed miserably, and Bowman is a legend, while Krueger is a guy who has spent 2 of his last 7 years employed in the NHL.

This is on Adams. Hopefully he is ready to run a team.

• Like (+1) 1

This is good but it won't mean very much unless they seriously rebuild their talent scouting operation.  They literally cannot evaluate players right now - Botterill never set up an effective pro personnel/amateur scouting operation.  Not sure if that's all on him - the owners have to be willing to invest in the right resources AND move on from legacy hires who don't add value.  They've done so with the Bills but that was during a more cash-rich environment (especially for the energy sector).  If RaKru and Adams are relying on the same shaky information to make personnel decisions, the product may not improve very much.

Still, Botts was classic "middle management" and I'm glad he's gone.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The idea of Krueger playing GM/coach is a troubling one.  With an 82 game schedule and multiple leagues to scout it's too much for one guy to handle.

Scotty Bowman tried to play both roles with the Sabres and failed miserably, and Bowman is a legend, while Krueger is a guy who has spent 2 of his last 7 years employed in the NHL.

This is on Adams. Hopefully he is ready to run a team.

Not that I disagree with you, but there is not a GM in this league who is scouting all of the leagues out there.  That's why they have a scouting staff.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, shrader said:

Not that I disagree with you, but there is not a GM in this league who is scouting all of the leagues out there.  That's why they have a scouting staff.

Who is the "they"?

Just now, Weave said:

I’ll read the whole thread later.  My take after reading nothing....... another GM that will need to learn the job as he goes.  Me no likey.

The Pegulas are ADDICTED to rookie GMs.  They've only ever hired/retained rookie GMs.  Beane worked out; the rest have been disasters.

This just makes them seem like they (the Pegulas) have no idea what they are doing. Not two weeks ago Kim had a presser saying they were sticking with Botts. He must have done something real stupid. 

I'll wait and see this develop. Current threat level Orange - Skeptical. 

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, miles said:

I thought they said he wasn't going. this looks worse than if they said nothing at all while they decided. 

I dont know why I bother following the sabres anymore. the team is laughably bad 

Well, when they had the organizationally wide bloodletting a couple of months ago, didn't it get reported that Botterill agreed to a pay cut?  If that's true, maybe there was a need to hold onto him at least 2 weeks beyond June 1 to keep from having him be able to sue to get the original contract back while sitting unemployed?  Just spitballing.

We may have lucked into Adams being that up & comer that Beane's turned into - the Junior Sabres program has been very successful & pretty sure that he's had a huge role in that.  Really wanted a more experienced guy.  Having no NHL front office experience isn't encouraging.  

Having been an NHL grunt that managed to win a SC (even though that was totally luck that year) & having been behind the bench & in administrative roles for over a decade says that he's no Brandon.  Brandon was a very good marketer (and marketers are best at marketing themselves) but should never have had any say outside of the marketing/business roles.  Adams at least has a more "honest" resume than Russ did.  (Meaning he actually has professional hockey experience unlike Russ as GM of the Bills (& holding even higher positions).)

Hoping this move works.  Expecting that it won't, at least not as well as we want it to.  The wildcard is that Krueger is still around and is definitely a leader that seems to have most the entire team bought in.

Am guessing that Colin Miller is now the odds on favorite to be the RHD sent packing in a deal for F (2C please) help as he always seemed the odd man out in Ralph's rotation.  Did Scandella sign an extension? If not, wouldn't be surprised to see him back as he worked very well with Jokiharju.

Hoping this means Simmonds isn't back, but not sure about it.

Really hoping Adams manages to revamp the scouting department and build an actual analytics department.

• Like (+1) 6

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-14-sabres-vice-president-of-business-administration-kevyn-adams

Adams on WGR back in February. Not exactly any clues in there about how he’d run a team — but, frankly, as someone who thought Botterill came across as an idiot in every interview he ever did, I can already tell I’ll find Adams refreshing

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, miles said:

I thought they said he wasn't going. this looks worse than if they said nothing at all while they decided. 

I dont know why I bother following the sabres anymore. the team is laughably bad 

My initial sentiments exactly.

I hope we're both proven wrong

Just now, shrader said:

Yeah, but you have to build and set the direction of the staff, and that's more than a part-time job. 

Coaches have assistants, but they are still involved in preparing the team every day of the season.

Combining those responsibilities of both positions under one guy is too heavy a workload to be effective.

If Adams is a mediocre GM, Ralph won't have the time or opportunity to save him.

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oh, just Imagine all the people, living in peace 

This reminds me of that time when, like, 3 days into this quarantine experience, celebs all thought what the people of this country really needed was to see their faces again. So they sang "imagine there's no heaven" to us from their lavish mansions as our family members perished due to a virus

In hindsight their desperate attempts to satiate their craving for attention, 1% of the way into this ordeal, is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3