Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

Brawndo

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has relieved Jason Botterill of his duties as General Manager. 

Senior Vice President of Business Administration Kevyn Adams has been named General Manager.

"This morning, we informed Jason Botterill he will no longer be the General Manager of the Sabres. This decision was made after many candid discussions with Jason during a full review of our hockey operation. We recognized we have philosophical differences regarding how best to put ourselves in a position to compete for a Stanley Cup. So, we decided to make this change.

"We wish Jason and his family all the best moving forward, and we thank him for his time and energy devoted to our organization and to the City of Buffalo. 

"New General Manager Kevyn Adams and Head Coach Ralph Krueger already have a close working relationship and we are excited to see what they can do together as we reconfigure our hockey operations. We have the benefit of this long 2020 pause to take time to reorganize and re-energize our hockey department. We recognize the importance of this offseason with so many player decisions to be made. 

"We have had the pleasure of watching Kevyn build his post-playing career over the past nine years under multiple roles throughout our organizations. We are confident Kevyn and Ralph will work together to build a consistent contender. As always, we are here to provide the necessary resources. 

"Our fans deserve better, and we are all tasked with the burden to improve and provide them a consistent, contending team for years to come."

-Terry and Kim Pegula, Owners, Buffalo Sabres

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/kevyn-adams-named-general-manager-of-buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill/c-317180734

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

And that must be the supposed competent owner move my source talked about.

Well, you have just rocketed to the top of the "SabreSpace inside source" credibility rankings.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

That has to be an interim GM tag for Adams, right?

It doesn't look that way.  Yikes.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Interesting move after Kim's comments a few weeks ago.   Terrible move from an ownership perspective.  It is both too soon and too late to make a move like this.   It gives the appearance the Sabres ownership are steering a rudderless ship.  

Curious if we find out the true story on the O'Reilly trade now.  I've always speculated Botts was forced to make the trade before his signing bonus was to be awarded....

I don't know how I'd call it too late.  The official offseason is going to start at some undetermined point in the future.  As long as they did this before that, it's definitely not too late.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I mean I'm thrilled. Ive wanted this since july 1st 2018. But they just said they weren't going to do it? Kinda weird? And who is Adams?

John Adams was a founding father and a key agitator for independence in the run up to July 4th 1776.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, shrader said:

I don't know how I'd call it too late.  The official offseason is going to start at some undetermined point in the future.  As long as they did this before that, it's definitely not too late.

They did it before the draft, before the cap was set, before UFA/RFA contracts were done. I would say now is a fine time to do it. 

• Like (+1) 4

I do think that in a strange way this isn;t the great news we are hoping for as JBotto has given away most of our good players (ROR Kane etc) and there is nothing to show for them and we are left with what he assembled which clearly isn't much...looks like another rebuild can hardly wait...

• Sad 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

John Adams was a founding father and a key agitator for independence in the run up to July 4th 1776.

No, he's asking about the beer guy.

And John Adams was a former Sabre draft pick, not a revolutionary.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought they said he wasn't going. this looks worse than if they said nothing at all while they decided. 

I dont know why I bother following the sabres anymore. the team is laughably bad 

So the release seems to make it clear that Ralph will have more power under this structure.

Adams smells of Brandon (the hire, not the man). Kim and Terry know him. He’s nice and they enjoy his company and they like the cut of his jib.

• Like (+1) 4

What on earth could have changed the owners' tune? Nothing has happened

Lol maybe jason had had them sold on the Pilut top 4 plan and then he left and they realized that the excess of defensemen that was gonna help our top six turned into a normal number of defensemen plus only a 4th rounder.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

The news is literally still in the air falling out of the frying pan and headed to the floor… Buffalo fan complains. Classic.

I don't think that was a fair take, for a number of reasons.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Local boy, known entity and one of the family, good Pegula Person (fine young man, surely)... classic. That he's cheap is a new and added bonus.

Fair points about Adams - affordable company man.

This goes to @darksabre's point about this being Krueger's team now.