Laaksonen Signs 3 Year ELC with Sabres

Brawndo

Ah, yes...fondly remember the time this 5’9” 137 pounder destroyed our draft thread.

Team seemed iffy on whether he was going to sign. Wonder if Pilut’s defection played a role.

Also, that means four very inexperienced D battling for time in Rochester (Fitzgerald, Bryson, Samuelsson).

Edited by dudacek

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ah, yes...fondly remember the time this 5’9” 137 pounder destroyed our draft thread.

Team seemed iffy on whether he was going to sign. Wonder if Pilut’s defection played a role.

Also, that means four very inexperienced D battling for time in a Rochester (Fitzgerald, Bryson, Samuelsson).

I could see Taylor paring each up with a vet and rotate one out of the lineup.  I've seen him do it in the past. 

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, that means four very inexperienced D battling for time in a Rochester (Fitzgerald, Bryson, Samuelsson).

It wasn't just that he was listed as truly being a smurf.  It was also that a Victor (suburb of Ra-cha-cha) kid, David Farrance who had just led the Blue Devils to the state championship was available & then got picked very soon thereafter by the team (the Preds) with arguably the best D-Corp in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It wasn't just that he was listed as truly being a smurf.  It was also that a Victor (suburb of Ra-cha-cha) kid, David Farrance who had just led the Blue Devils to the state championship was available & then got picked very soon thereafter by the team (the Preds) with arguably the best D-Corp in the league.

Bingo. David Farrance, NCAA, 14g, 29a, in 34games for Boston Univ this past season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Heard it was a good pick at the time, and in the years since. Until this past year where apparently, if I'm remembering correctly, he had a down year this year. Looking at his stats, his production was cut in half in the same amount of games. Not too sure of any extra context though. 

Shades of last season with another current D unbalance, far more right shots in the system than left. Botterill will have to rectify this. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Plus the fact Laaksonen wasn’t on any of the expert’s radar as anything other than an afterthought going in to the draft. It was like a perfect storm for negative reaction.

As to @Weave’s question, my sense is similar to @Thorny’s. He fell back this year, but was really being hyped two years ago, playing with Luukkonnen and Jokiharju on the Finnish WJC championship team. He was described as a true rushing defenceman with good skill and a high risk-reward factor.

This year was supposed to be a year he concentrated on his defensive game. Haven’t heard how well that went, but his offence dipped a ton.

• Like (+1) 2

Good to see he's ready to make the pond-hop. There's room for lots of minutes in Rochester since our Pilut defected to the Rebellion Bodhi Rook style and Redmond also took an opportunity on the DEL. Let's go, Laaksonen! Get on the attack.

I was unfamiliar with Farrance at draft time (of course, I'd never even heard of Laaksonen), but Farrance is putting up excellent numbers in the NCAA. I hope for our sake that Laaksonen is the better long-term pick.

Edit: grammar fix

Edited by DarthEbriate

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Good to see he's ready to make the pond-hop. There's room for lots of minutes in Rochester since we our Pilut defected to the Rebellion Bodhi Rook style, and Redmond also took an opportunity on the DEL. Let's go, Laaksonen! Get on the attack.

I was unfamiliar with Farrance at draft time (of course, I'd never even heard of Laaksonen), but Farrance is putting up excellent numbers in the NCAA. I hope for our sake, as we will hear ad nauseum about Ferrance from @LGR4GM, that Laaksonen is the better long-term pick.

Fixed 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.