Kim Pegula returning next season- Kim Pegula

PASabreFan

15 hours ago, john wawrow said:

I left here 2 or so years ago because of all the negativity.

There was no welcomeness then, and neither is there any now.

This board has constantly, constantly -- stress constantly -- disparaged my work, questioned my sources, questioned whether I had sources, believed my only source was Larry Quinn, and now stoops to the level of calling out  my latest story as being filled with "whoppers."

That's a big word, and really the last straw on my part to engaging in any semblance of an open discussion or give and take.

It was like this when I first joined, only to quickly find out there was little desire on anyone's part to engage in anything of merit.

And, upon revisiting this place last week, I see very little has changed.

If my tone, as some put it, is condescending or arrogant, well, it's only because that's a lot of what's been directed at me over the years.

So if I put off a bunch of people here, big whup. It's not like those same people provided me an ounce of respect to begin with.

jw

Describe something positive for this team that isn't Eichel or Dahlin that has occurred in the last two years. 

Now to the second bolded. It is a readers job, no responsibility to question the sources of a news report. If the United States as a whole took the time more often to question where information is coming from we would be a lot better off. We should always question your sources and that of any reporter so we as readers can understand where and why that information was created and released. I take extreme offense at the idea readers shouldn't question sources, it is actually something readers should be doing more not less.

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Again, that's a GM who knows what's up.  Botterill isn't him/her.

Two first time hires, two failed GMs.  I know it's not that simple and that's not yet a pattern, but I really hope they go with someone with NHL experience in a GM role with the next hire.  It's not working, time to mix it up.

Edit: And immediately after posting this, I see Brawndo's thread and the Sabres' twitter post.  I really hope that's an interim tag.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Two first time hires, two failed GMs.  I know it's not that simple and that's not yet a pattern, but I really hope they go with someone with NHL experience in a GM role with the next hire.  It's not working, time to mix it up.

Mike Gillis. 

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

Edit: And immediately after posting this, I see Brawndo's thread and the Sabres' twitter post.  I really hope that's an interim tag.

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Describe something positive for this team that isn't Eichel or Dahlin that has occurred in the last two years. 

The trade for Jokiharu 

The emergence of a solid all around defense 

Ullmark’s emergence as a solid NHL goalie 

Goaloffson 

Curtis Lazar being added 

Adding Kahun 

There are bright spots 

• Like (+1) 1

So, in a quest for fairness, I went back and read @john wawrow's posts over the years.

It's certainly true that a couple of posters -- in particular @Hoss and @Ghost of Dwight Drane -- took a number of shots at him, and I can totally understand him thinking "I don't need this aggravation from these DBs."  In the board's defense, I will note that those posters aren't really a representative sample of the broader membership -- both of them had serious problems interacting with others.  One has been permanently banned, while the other has been suspended more than any other poster.

I think it's also true that JW didn't exactly react to the shots he took with a jocular, devil-may-care sense of good humor -- and when a number of other posters (including me at one point) noted a certain thin-skinnedness, JW got more PO'd and lashed back.  Understandable, perhaps, but also unnecessary and probably not his finest moments.

Bottom line, IMHO is that on the one hand, I think everyone here would like to have JW as a poster and a resource, and most here respect JW's work, while from time to time disagreeing with or doubting certain items that might be reported.  On the other hand, though, it is inevitable that on a message board, someone will from time to time say the wrong thing -- i.e. something that from JW's perspective can be reasonably viewed as disrespectful or obnoxious.  In those situations, I would hope that JW would let the offending post go by without getting worked up about it.

Of course, it's up to him whether participating in the discussion here and getting feedback, story ideas, etc. from a devoted (and IMHO quite knowledgeable) portion of the fan base is worth the aggravation. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Of course, it's up to him whether participating in the discussion here and getting feedback, story ideas, etc. from a devoted (and IMHO quite knowledgeable) portion of the fan base is worth the aggravation.

That would be great. Did you find evidence he has ever done that?

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The trade for Jokiharu 

The emergence of a solid all around defense 

Ullmark’s emergence as a solid NHL goalie 

Goaloffson 

Curtis Lazar being added 

Adding Kahun 

There are bright spots 

Olofsson and Ullmark are not GMTM's doing.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson and Ullmark are not GMTM's doing.

They are & Botterill gets little, if any, credit for retaining Ullmark.

But, you can't convince me that GM's weren't sniffing around after Olofsson.  That he is still a Sabre & Nylander isn't is something JBotts did right.  A lesser GM would've lost Olofsson along the way.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No, but I wasn't looking for it -- rather just assuming that those would be 2 natural reasons for a professional sports writer to come here.

My memory, which might very well be faulty, is that when he gets a mention, he drops by to defend himself. Which is fine. But I don't remember him adding value to the board. I would go back through his posts, but with the restraining order and all, that's a no go.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

The Pegula’s are an embarrassment of epic proportions.  Is this the move that is going to convince STH to renew?

???

No, and I actually give them credit in that regard. It would be easy to make a traditional hire of a known entity, in part because it would get the fan base somewhat re-engaged. God bless them, they honestly think is finally going to be the answer.

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So, in a quest for fairness, I went back and read @john wawrow's posts over the years.

It's certainly true that a couple of posters -- in particular @Hoss and @Ghost of Dwight Drane -- took a number of shots at him, and I can totally understand him thinking "I don't need this aggravation from these DBs."  In the board's defense, I will note that those posters aren't really a representative sample of the broader membership -- both of them had serious problems interacting with others.  One has been permanently banned, while the other has been suspended more than any other poster.

I think it's also true that JW didn't exactly react to the shots he took with a jocular, devil-may-care sense of good humor -- and when a number of other posters (including me at one point) noted a certain thin-skinnedness, JW got more PO'd and lashed back.  Understandable, perhaps, but also unnecessary and probably not his finest moments.

Bottom line, IMHO is that on the one hand, I think everyone here would like to have JW as a poster and a resource, and most here respect JW's work, while from time to time disagreeing with or doubting certain items that might be reported.  On the other hand, though, it is inevitable that on a message board, someone will from time to time say the wrong thing -- i.e. something that from JW's perspective can be reasonably viewed as disrespectful or obnoxious.  In those situations, I would hope that JW would let the offending post go by without getting worked up about it.

The bottom line is that the same toxic poster(s) have been slinging the same toxic garbage for years.  They're enabled by a message board technology that doesn't have downvote functions that would allow upstanding members and lurkers to consistently blast terrible threads and comments into the shadow realm.  I'm not claiming that a reddit style is the pinnacle of internet conversation, but it does a better than average job of quickly and naturally disposing of the worst of the worst- something that's not done here.  Hell, I have several posters on ignore, but that doesn't prevent them from dragging everyone else down and establishing this forum's reputation.

A career sports journalist visits the board, has to defend his work from truly garbage posts from a long time garbage poster instead of meaningfully engaging with thoughtful discussion, he points this out, and the forum moderator says he needs a sense of humor and that's he's disrespectful and obnoxious.  It's madness.  And it makes the board poison.

Should a journalist be given special treatment?  No.  But as weave put it:

I’ll never understand the abuse we hand out to the sports reporters that cover our teams.

Ideally, you'd want cooperation.  Realistically, you have combativeness.

A while back, in a personal internet quality-of-life move, I decided to proactively break Cunningham's Law by deciding to never respond to someone on the internet if the point of that response was to correct them or tell them they were wrong.  The outcome?  I haven't posted in months.

Wawrow, while not eloquent, is fundamentally correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Journalist/reporter and messageboard poster.  I'm not convinced that someone can actually pull off both roles at the same time unless anonymity is involved in the latter.

Probably correct.  The reporter would need to go in with both a thick skin & a standard response for questions that went beyond what the reporter is comfortable in divulging.  Tough role to accept & pull off.

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Probably correct.  The reporter would need to go in with both a thick skin & a standard response for questions that went beyond what the reporter is comfortable in divulging.  Tough role to accept & pull off.

There's also people out there who expect the reporter to tell us everything, sources and what not.  That's a quick path to career suicide.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's also people out there who expect the reporter to tell us everything, sources and what not. That's a quick path to career suicide.

Which is what seems to cause most of the problems between reporters & readers on TSW.  SS has had its own unique vibe wrt reporters / others.  

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which is what seems to cause most of the problems between reporters & readers on TSW.  SS has had its own unique vibe wrt reporters / others.  

I'm not so sure we have a unique vibe here.  I can only thing of two reporters showing up here and we chased both of them off.  I've seen that exact thing play out in the college hockey community as well.  To me it looked pretty much exactly like what we've had here and TSW.  I think most people are welcoming, but the few voices who do cause the trouble, it is almost completely due to the high volume of their attacks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.