Kim Pegula returning next season- Kim Pegula

PASabreFan

The team’s co-owner told The Associated Press in a recent interview she believes she remains the best-suited for the job to streamline the operation, while acknowledging the process has taken longer than expected.

“Sometimes I kick myself in saying, `How come I didn’t see this sooner? That’s on me,” Pegula said, referring to a restructuring that began last year.

How come? You don't know what you're doing.

Couple of whoppers from Wawrow:

The Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions of their own dollars on arena upgrades, as well as building a hotel, restaurant and practice facility adjacent to the arena.

Surely, they didn't spend hundreds of millions on the arena PLUS all the rest. John knows this.

The team is on its sixth coach, third general manager, with Pegula serving as its fourth president, including Pat LaFontaine, who abruptly quit in February 2014, nearly four months after being hired.

Kim is the third team president. Black, Brandon, Kim Pegula. Ted Black was team president when Pat was hockey president. John knows this.

While Pegula is criticized for her role overseeing the Sabres, she has earned little credit for holding the same title with the Bills. The NFL team has been a model of efficiency and reached the playoffs in two of the three past seasons under coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane.

Kim isn't a football president. John knows this.

https://apnews.com/13d5ef6efda7c67b2f2bb67943472709

• Like (+1) 4

The Sabres are now well down the same path the Bills were on for many years.

When Ralph Wilson was still alive and one of the worst owners in the NFL, the organization was a train wreck.   As long as that situation remained the same, the train wreck was going to remain as well.  I--and many others--made a point of mentioning this for years and years.

We are now entering similar territory with Kim Pegula running the Sabres.

I wouldn't expect things to greatly improve as long as she remains in charge.

Only way this is going to improve is if the Sabres luck into hiring a really competent, strong GM who understands how to handle Kim and keep her happy while moving the hockey department down the right path.  That is possible, but probably tough to pull off in reality.

What concerns me is that Kim Pegula is probably un-fireable.  Kim and Terry could wake up one day and say "this isn't working" and decide to move in a different direction, sure.  But that is probably unlikely to happen, or at least not soon. 

As long as Terry and Kim are happy operating the Sabres as the hobby of amateurs, expect more of the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I have no confidence in Kim Pegula at all.   She is not qualified to run a NHL hockey team and it shows every day.

She has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills recent success either. 

worship GIF

I'm way more concerned about the language used to describe the teams financial state than who is doing what in the org.  As we've discussed for months, they are acting flat ass broke.  An operating revenue of $1.9 mill?  The teams payroll is 40 times that.  Something ain't right.  These people are bad at making money unless they have a printing press handed to them like an NFL team.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm way more concerned about the language used to describe the teams financial state than who is doing what in the org.  As we've discussed for months, they are acting flat ass broke.  An operating revenue of $1.9 mill?  The teams payroll is 40 times that.  Something ain't right.  These people are bad at making money unless they have a printing press handed to them like an NFL team.  

Yup. This extends into the Amerks experience. They’re pinching pennies and it shows. 

16 minutes ago, inkman said:

There is no way that figure is correct. $1.9 billion in revenue, maybe? Or $1.9 million in profit?

They must make $1.9 million in revenue in ticket sales alone in about three home games.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is no way that figure is correct. $1.9 billion in revenue, maybe? Or $1.9 million in profit?

They must make $1.9 million in revenue in ticket sales alone in about three home games.

Operating income=earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. Their revenue (not defined) was $135 million.

https://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

How come? You don't know what you're doing.

Couple of whoppers from Wawrow:

Surely, they didn't spend hundreds of millions on the arena PLUS all the rest. John knows this.

Kim is the third team president. Black, Brandon, Kim Pegula. Ted Black was team president when Pat was hockey president. John knows this.

Kim isn't a football president. John knows this.

https://apnews.com/13d5ef6efda7c67b2f2bb67943472709

Ah, one of the posters, who gave me good reason not to come here all that often, attempting to correct me, and once again failing. It's laughable, and sad, as well that this poster uses his or her bully pulpit position here to sway the narrative and make non-sensensical posts such as this to drive people away.

Each of the rare times I visit, PASabresFan has one post after the other, complaining about this and that.

So, here goes:

1. When you work in Harborcenter, which has become an extension of the arena, and serves as the Sabres practice facility, the Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions on arena upgrades, and constructing a hockey/hotel/entertainment complex as noted in the story.

2. Kim is the fourth team president, which includes LaFontaine, wh's title was, in fact, president, which was also noted in the story.

3. Let me open the Bills media guide to Kim Pegula's bio, where it lists her title as, oh, look at that, "Owner/President."

Of all the erroneous and dim-witted posts you've posted, this one reaches a new low -- that said, others might be able to produce dumber examples, but like I said, I don't visit much here, nor have the time to feel even more stupid by reading more posts from this person.

jw

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I suspect Operating Revenue is Operating Income.   I saw no financials.

I am glad to see JW post here.

PA is a provocative and looney Inglorious Basterd, but he’s my provocative and looney Inglorious Basterd.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

Ah, one of the posters, who gave me good reason not to come here all that often, attempting to correct me

Let me be another.

From Forbes (https://www.forbes.com/teams/buffalo-sabres/#1e249ded64f3) :

TEAM VALUE      $400M Calculated December 2019
OWNER(S)      Terrence Pegula, Kim Pegula
CHAMPIONSHIPS      0
YEAR PURCHASED      2011
PRICE PAID      $165M
REVENUE      $135M
OPERATING INCOME      $1.9M
DEBT/VALUE      20%
PLAYER EXPENSES      $77M
GATE RECEIPTS      $41M
WINS-TO-PLAYER COST RATIO      85
REVENUE PER FAN      $89
METRO AREA POPULATION      1.2M
MEDIA PARTNERS      Tv: MSG; Radio: WGR

According to Forbes, Buffalo ranked 24th among NHL teams with $1.9 million in operating revenue in 2018-19.

This is demonstrably false, both in reporting an incorrect value for the teams operating revenue as well as misattributing that information to Forbes.

If I was to be generous and assume this is not a result of incompetence or malfeasance, then I might assume you don't know the difference between revenue and income. If you believed that these words were wholly synonymous, here is a link that explains the difference between the two:  https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122214/what-difference-between-revenue-and-income.asp . 

The Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions of their own dollars on arena upgrades, as well as building a hotel, restaurant and practice facility adjacent to the arena.

In this sentence, the phrase "as well as" serves as a conjunction. A conjunction should only be preceded by a comma if that comma is separating two independent clauses. A reader of English would therefore be lead to believe that "The Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions of their own dollars on arena upgrades" was a separate stand-alone thought distinct from "building a hotel, restaurant and practice facility adjacent to the arena". With that in mind, the story does not note that "the Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions on arena upgrades and constructing a hockey/hotel/entertainment complex" (removed a comma for you). The story does in fact say that the "Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions of their own dollars on arena upgrades", and that is separate from their "building a hotel, restaurant and practice facility adjacent to the arena".

If that was not the meaning you intended to impart then perhaps gaining an elementary understanding of the language you are writing in may help you with any future attempts to make a cogent argument.

Of all the erroneous and dim-witted posts you've posted, this one reaches a new low -- that said, others might be able to produce dumber examples, but like I said, I don't visit much here, nor have the time to feel even more stupid by reading more posts from this person.

Wanker.

Edited by El Zahir
spacing
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

Ah, one of the posters, who gave me good reason not to come here all that often, attempting to correct me, and once again failing. It's laughable, and sad, as well that this poster uses his or her bully pulpit position here to sway the narrative and make non-sensensical posts such as this to drive people away.

Each of the rare times I visit, PASabresFan has one post after the other, complaining about this and that.

So, here goes:

1. When you work in Harborcenter, which has become an extension of the arena, and serves as the Sabres practice facility, the Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions on arena upgrades, and constructing a hockey/hotel/entertainment complex as noted in the story.

2. Kim is the fourth team president, which includes LaFontaine, wh's title was, in fact, president, which was also noted in the story.

3. Let me open the Bills media guide to Kim Pegula's bio, where it lists her title as, oh, look at that, "Owner/President."

Of all the erroneous and dim-witted posts you've posted, this one reaches a new low -- that said, others might be able to produce dumber examples, but like I said, I don't visit much here, nor have the time to feel even more stupid by reading more posts from this person.

jw

I would just like to point out how misleading your statement for suppose whopper #1. You say "The Pegulas have spent hundreds of millions of their own dollars on arena upgrades, AS WELL AS building a hotel, restaurant and practice facility adjacent to the arena." 

This as well as implies that the building a hotel, restaurant, and practice facility adjacent to the arena were all separate from the hundreds of millions spent on the arena. Given that the practice facility is separate from the arena upgrade, where was this hundreds of millions spent on? In defending your article, you say it "serves as an extension of the arena", but then why did you list it separately. I am not saying you intentionally created a whopper but that could have been worded much more carefully.

Ex: The Pegulas spent hundreds of millions of dollars of their own money on arena upgrades, an adjacent practice facility, hotel, and restaurant. 

It doesn't seem as impressive for what the Pegulas have done, but it better shows what really happened. Unless in actuality, they did spend hundreds of millions on arena upgrades, which if that is the case, please correct me. Though if they did spend all that money on the arena, it would make me further doubt their ability with how the arena looks.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ll never understand the abuse we hand out to the sports reporters that cover our teams.

This might be the first time I've ever criticized John's reporting, and everyone knows I stand up for Harrington. But that piece was so blatantly pro-Kim, it had to be refuted.

To summarize: Kim is not a hockey president. She doesn't oversee the Sabres. She doesn't deserve any criticism for the on-ice product, and she rarely gets any here. She also doesn't deserve any credit for the Bills making the playoffs two out of three years. Kim herself has said when she and Terry go to the arena or the stadium, he goes to the GM side and she turns toward the business offices.

And, Ted Black and Pat LaFontaine did not simultaneously serve as team president.

35 minutes ago, Neo said:

I suspect Operating Revenue is Operating Income.   I saw no financials.

I am glad to see JW post here.

PA is a provocative and looney Inglorious Basterd, but he’s my provocative and looney Inglorious Basterd.

Yeah, look at me getting all radical, agitating the board, proclaiming BLUE AND GOLD POWER, while pointing out inaccuracies in a news story about the team.

Just so you all know, if you don't already, the Sabres/Bills have been going through staff mergings since about 2018. Essentially they have been moving/eliminating many duplicate positions that existed between the Sabres and Bills (primarily) For instance, a portion of PSE staff members who were originally just Bills staff along with some former Sabres staff have been moved above the Labatt experience bar thing. 

Due to this I would suspect that in the long run they intend to merge the entirety of the non-sports related staffs into a singular entity under the PSE title. Now hopefully that would mean eventually they may hire someone to run the hockey/football specific jobs while Kim retains command over the PSE marketing, sales, etc departments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I’ll never understand the abuse we hand out to the sports reporters that cover our teams.

Maybe if they just acted like grownups they’d be easier to interact with. Does jw need me to sign a loyalty agreement or kiss his ring before he answers a simple question?

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

This might be the first time I've ever criticized John's reporting, and everyone knows I stand up for Harrington. But that piece was so blatantly pro-Kim, it had to be refuted.

To summarize: Kim is not a hockey president. She doesn't oversee the Sabres. She doesn't deserve any criticism for the on-ice product, and she rarely gets any here. She also doesn't deserve any credit for the Bills making the playoffs two out of three years. Kim herself has said when she and Terry go to the arena or the stadium, he goes to the GM side and she turns toward the business offices.

And, Ted Black and Pat LaFontaine did not simultaneously serve as team president.

Well you definitely got the Bills president thing wrong. Was that a PA Whopper?

Also: Kim is rarely criticized here? Pshaw.

Finally, did @john wawrow mistake @PASabreFan for @Ghost of Dwight Drane?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well you definitely got the Bills president thing wrong. Was that a PA Whopper?

Also: Kim is rarely criticized here? Pshaw.

Finally, did @john wawrow mistake @PASabreFan for @Ghost of Dwight Drane?

Criticized for the on-ice product? I don't see much of that. That is saved for JB and to a lesser extent, Terry. Kim gets it for marketing/arena experience and the like.

Unless Kim is president of football operations at the Bills, I didn't get it wrong.

To change the subject, folks should note where the real action is at in owning a team. The lousy Sabres, playing in a small market, in a second-tier professional league, have more than doubled in value in the less than 10 years Terry has owned them. $400 million isn't chump change. OSP also saw the Sabres more than double in value in the eight years he owned them. The piddling few million dollars of profit or loss on a year to year basis don't mean all that much.

I wonder if the fact that Terry is making a small profit with that lousy team in that small market while spending lustfully and paying plenty of folks to not work for him changes @nfreeman 's opinion about the fate of the team if Golisano had remained owner. His theory was that the enlarging salary cap would have meant larger and larger losses for Old Sugar Packets, forcing him to the sell the team. The way I see it, with LQ and DiPofi on his side, the team would have been miles better on and off the ice, and the bottom line would have remained solid/OK/acceptable. And, yes, Darcy would still be GM.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.