Layoffs at The Athletic

darksabre

13 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The Athletic laid off a portion of its writers today, including our very own Joe Yerdon.

Needless to say I have canceled my subscription since they no longer offer a product I want to read.

noooo Joe! I'll probably cancel, too. Honestly I haven't been reading it that much anyways, since the Sabres just piss me off.

8 minutes ago, sabills said:

noooo Joe! I'll probably cancel, too. Honestly I haven't been reading it that much anyways, since the Sabres just piss me off.

I was going to let it renew even if the Sabres weren't playing just because I want good writers to be employed. But if Yerdon isn't going to be there then I don't give a damn.

• Like (+1) 1

This is depressing.  I, too like Joe's work.  What does a hockey writer do when there is no hockey?  Sports need to come back.  Not only for entertainment and community, but for the economy.  I feel bad for Joe.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

The Athletic laid off a portion of its writers today, including our very own Joe Yerdon.

Needless to say I have canceled my subscription since they no longer offer a product I want to read.

That stinks.  I wish him well.  He's a good writer.  Hopefully they can bring him back when the lockdown ends and there are actually sports to report on again.  And hopefully that is very soon.

• Like (+1) 2

I have enjoyed the Athletic while being less-than-optimistic about its business model and ultimate prospects for survival, at least in its current form.  I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.  It doesn't seem like it necessarily is the beginning of the end, though, as they laid off "only" 8% of their staff -- 46 people, which means there are over 500 employees.  That's more than I was expecting, although I have no idea whether those are FTEs.  

The rest of the employees all took pay cuts, starting at 10% and escalating with the higher-paid employees.

Here's some background:  https://www.thewrap.com/the-athletic-layoffs/

As the son of a career newspaperman,  I find the continued evolution of all this fascinating.

As Jerry Sullivan said not too long ago, it is getting to the point where you can't necessarily expect to be paid to write about sports anymore.  And if you try to go down that path, it's going to be a tough career, like pursuing a career in acting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.