Rioting and Looting in Rochester

Andrew Amerk

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yes.  I don't think there were squad cars burning, but looting has started in some spots in the last hour.  The peaceful protesters went home and things got weird.

^ That is the pattern.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

The ends don’t justify the means.

Yeah, but don't you think it's been far to long that there has been this injustice in our system and no doubt blacks being abused by police. Don't shoot me for saying this. I'm not black and my son is a police officer.

• Like (+1) 4

"Nonviolence is fine as long as it works."

--------  Malcolm X.

He died in 1965.  55 years later, nonviolence has not worked.  What's next?  What will make this end?  And how many more will die?  I cannot condone violence, but if my child was murdered because of their skin color by police, I would understand the outrage.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Tondas said:

"Nonviolence is fine as long as it works."

--------  Malcolm X.

He died in 1965.  55 years later, nonviolence has not worked.  What's next?  What will make this end?  And how many more will die?  I cannot condone violence, but if my child was murdered because of their skin color by police, I would understand the outrage.  

Ok, one thing that is missing...or not that apparent..is the endgame for the protesters.  I haven't been watching this on tv hour by hour, but I have checked in on the news..and i want to know...what is it the protesters want exactly....the only 2 things I have heard so far "our voices to be heard" and "justice for Floyd/against the officer".   now, that may be all well and good and make the feel better, but what changes things in the long run?  I don't see anything so far.

Who is the leader of the protesters, and what exactly do they want?  Are there specific proposals for things that can be put into law to make changes going forward?  Do they want more oversight of the police?  360 degree cameras on all police cars like Tesla Sentry mode? I mean, I'm not trying to be a jerk either way, but what is the endgame here?

We can't have that 'national discussion' about these issues when that very discussion is only about 'how bad' the issues are or that they 'just exist'.  What are the ideas to change it...what are the ideas the protesters have?  If there is a problem (and there probably is at least a one problem, if not many) how is it fixed?  What are ideas we can discuss going forward and put into place?

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, one thing that is missing...or not that apparent..is the endgame for the protesters.  I haven't been watching this on tv hour by hour, but I have checked in on the news..and i want to know...what is it the protesters want exactly....the only 2 things I have heard so far "our voices to be heard" and "justice for Floyd/against the officer".   now, that may be all well and good and make the feel better, but what changes things in the long run?  I don't see anything so far.

Who is the leader of the protesters, and what exactly do they want?  Are there specific proposals for things that can be put into law to make changes going forward?  Do they want more oversight of the police?  360 degree cameras on all police cars like Tesla Sentry mode? I mean, I'm not trying to be a jerk either way, but what is the endgame here?

We can't have that 'national discussion' about these issues when that very discussion is only about 'how bad' the issues are or that they 'just exist'.  What are the ideas to change it...what are the ideas the protesters have?  If there is a problem (and there probably is at least a one problem, if not many) how is it fixed?  What are ideas we can discuss going forward and put into place?

Good post mjd.  I think we're still in stage 2 of grief.  The only change I would make is that I hope we never get to Acceptance in any situations like this.

1. Denial – The first stage of grief is Denial.

2. Anger – The second stage of grief is Anger.

3. Bargaining – The third stage of grief is Bargaining.

4. Depression – The fourth stage of grief is Depression.

5. Acceptance – The fifth stage of grief is Acceptance.

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

We are having a national discussion about. And the only reason we are is because of the protesters.

Nobody gave a ***** when it was peaceful.

Where’s the thread about the nurse and her boyfriend that were shot in their bedroom at night by a botched drug raid a couple of months back? 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Scum bags destroying, looting and burning.

Protest. Please do! Verbally, peacefully. For as long as they feel necessary. MLK wouldn’t approve of the violence, looting and destruction. 

But he understood why it happens.

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. ... But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the N@gro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity.” - MLK

Edited by pastajoe
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

We are having a national discussion about. And the only reason we are is because of the protesters.

Nobody gave a ***** when it was peaceful.

Where’s the thread about the nurse and her boyfriend that were shot in their bedroom at night by a botched drug raid a couple of months back? 

My point is we aren't really having a discussion about what changes have to/need to be made going forward.  Not much ever really changes after these protests/riot run their course every year or so.  Sure, there is a lot of 'discussion', if you read my previous post, i kinda said that..but what my point is where is the discussion about changes....what new laws...what new guidelines can we put in place, can we negotiate into law?  I'm getting a lot of everything else, but no focused endgame of what will make these situations happen less in the future and how to put that into effect.

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

My point is we aren't really having a discussion about what changes have to/need to be made going forward.  Not much ever really changes after these protests/riot run their course every year or so.  Sure, there is a lot of 'discussion', if you read my previous post, i kinda said that..but what my point is where is the discussion about changes....what new laws...what new guidelines can we put in place, can we negotiate into law?  I'm getting a lot of everything else, but no focused endgame of what will make these situations happen less in the future and how to put that into effect.

That’s more for police chiefs and mayors to discuss. I know that NYC made a lot of changes 5 or so years ago the have improved things.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

That’s more for police chiefs and mayors to discuss. I know that NYC made a lot of changes 5 or so years ago the have improved things.

It should be for everybody to discuss, isn't that the point?

If putting laws into place to prevent this from happening...or doing other things to make sure anything like this doesn't happen again...if all that is just for mayors and police chiefs to discuss...then I go back to my original point...what are the protests about?  Id really want to think the protesters care more about changing the system than simply being seen on tv protesting for no reason.  This should be all about making sure this doesn't happen again..and that should not be simply left up to mayors and police chiefs.

The civil rights movement was in the 1960's.  It's been 60 years!  How long can people of color be patient with their family members being killed by police?   I can't blame people to be angry.  Nonviolent protests have gotten them virtually nowhere since the police keep killing people of color.  So, what do they do to enact change?  Send letters to their US representatives?  Fat chance of anything happening doing that.  When backed against a wall, everyone will fight.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Scum bags destroying, looting and burning.

Protest. Please do! Verbally, peacefully. For as long as they feel necessary. MLK wouldn’t approve of the violence, looting and destruction. 

Unfortunately a lot of that looting is people taking advantage of the situation. It's equally unfortunate that sometimes it seems that peaceful walking protests don't have much effect anymore. Peaceful protest over mass shootings were totally ineffective it seems. Catch twenty two. I do agree that violence ect. Is not acceptable. Boy, do I wish we had the leadership of a MLK. Leadership in our country is lacking. Actually I think the lack of leadership adds greatly to the frustration. In some instances adding to the fire.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It should be for everybody to discuss, isn't that the point?

If putting laws into place to prevent this from happening...or doing other things to make sure anything like this doesn't happen again...if all that is just for mayors and police chiefs to discuss...then I go back to my original point...what are the protests about?  Id really want to think the protesters care more about changing the system than simply being seen on tv protesting for no reason.  This should be all about making sure this doesn't happen again..and that should not be simply left up to mayors and police chiefs.

You are asking and answering your own question.

People have been having this conversation. The problem is, the people who can actually do something about it (mayors, police chiefs, legislators, etc.) haven’t given a *****. Now maybe they have to.