OT: The Gardening Thread

Ogre

The weather is perfect for working in the new gardens today.  I will be starting soon.  There maybe some worthy pics today.  We are really just getting started with our gardens here.  I think I mentioned that we are moving a large part of our old gardens from the old house.  Several trees and large rodos have been moved already and are replanted here.  Setting them again with leaves and more pine needles today.  It will be a long hard day, but I love it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:47 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

The weather is perfect for working in the new gardens today.  I will be starting soon.  There maybe some worthy pics today.  We are really just getting started with our gardens here.  I think I mentioned that we are moving a large part of our old gardens from the old house.  Several trees and large rodos have been moved already and are replanted here.  Setting them again with leaves and more pine needles today.  It will be a long hard day, but I love it.

I’ll admit that I am VERY impressed that you took your trees too! That is a lot of hard ass work!

The light green you see is Golden Purslane. It keeps the water around the pumpkin and squash roots, is friggin delicious and super nutritious. That entire crop is from the seeds scattered from tilling last years crop. 

87BD0919-46FB-4B43-8A73-353B2F95FB7C.jpeg

11 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’ll admit that I am VERY impressed that you took your trees too! That is a lot of hard ass work!

Yes, well I did the hardest part ... I pointed and got out of the way. 

The moving of large trees and bushes is the very reason why big strong men were invented.  I love big strong men.  The more the better.  The bigger and stronger the better.  I am always on the lookout for big strong men.  I just can't get enough of big strong men.  Do you get my point?

56 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I tend to be an idiot when I try something like this, so I hope this works ...

100_5354.JPG

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!? My Rhododendrons have been done for almost a month now. 

Nice plant btw! I've got 2 that are that color and one that's maybe 2 shades darker.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ubkev said:
8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!

Look at those conifers in the background. They’re 15’ tall and probably 100 years old...

20 hours ago, ubkev said:

Lol, you really do live on the border of the Arctic Circle, don't you!? My Rhododendrons have been done for almost a month now. 

Nice plant btw! I've got 2 that are that color and one that's maybe 2 shades darker.

Not only that, but even with global warming and all that jazz (hey, oh Freddie ... We love you!!) the Arctic Ocean is still bone chilling code even in July / August.  I'm just thankful that it is not frozen solid year round any more, eh.

And thanks.  That rhodo is probably 10 to 15 years old.  We got from a friend in a 5" pot back then.

13 hours ago, Ogre said:

Look at those conifers in the background. They’re 15’ tall and probably 100 years old...

Very observant, my friend.  The Arctic Tundra really makes for slow growth.

58 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not only that, but even with global warming and all that jazz (hey, oh Freddie ... We love you!!) the Arctic Ocean is still bone chilling code even in July / August.  I'm just thankful that it is not frozen solid year round any more, eh.

And thanks.  That rhodo is probably 10 to 15 years old.  We got from a friend in a 5" pot back then.

Very observant, my friend.  The Arctic Tundra really makes for slow growth.

If Halifax is in the tundra then I must be in Santa’s workshop!

I have been to the northernmost community in Ontario, Fort Severn. That was the end of the boreal forest and the edge of the tundra. Tallest tree I saw was probably 20’. No idea how old it would have been.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I have been to the northernmost community in Ontario, Fort Severn. That was the end of the boreal forest and the edge of the tundra. Tallest tree I saw was probably 20’. No idea how old it would have been.

You know these Yanks will believe anything we tell them.

No word of lie ... when I graduated from college a bunch of buddies and I went to The Bahamas as a graduation party down.  We met several great people on vacation from PA there and they were all convinced (easily convinced) that we all lived in iglos, even in downtown of The Great Satan.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
my typing .. .still not very goodly ... damn phone!!

23 hours ago, Indabuff said:

And hopefully some decompression from the world.

A small garden is Zen. A large time/financial investment is not. My fenced in stuff is a source of Joy. This experimental garden can be frustrating. I grew up on a farm so I understand the perils. The GD vermin loot you like a band of bandits. 

Right now the sunflowers are being gobbled up at a rate that I could end up with a handful of flowers from HUNDREDS of plants. I tried a habanero spray but they ate them anyway. Yesterday I drove some posts and wrapped a few hundred feet of fishing line around them. I hunkered on the deck and watched them tonight. They were befuddled by the invisible barrier. Good. Go F yourselves you thieving bastards.

0297B5EC-35B0-46FF-BF61-EF178524978A.jpeg

5674713D-9535-4133-858A-256BF4F79A64.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Ogre said:

A small garden is Zen. A large time/financial investment is not. My fenced in stuff is a source of Joy. This experimental garden can be frustrating. I grew up on a farm so I understand the perils. The GD vermin loot you like a band of bandits. 

That's what 22s were made for.  Are you talking about deer or actual vermin as in rodents?

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

That's what 22s were made for.  Are you talking about deer or actual vermin as in rodents?

The deer are at an infestation rate around here. The farmer that we let have rent-free access to the larger lots had 12 nuisance permits last year. You have to prove a significant loss of income to get those permits. It doesn’t even make a dent in how many deer there are. This particular garden is devoted to learning how to defeat these pricks. (That’s why all my other gardens have a six foot fence).

Just now, Ogre said:

The deer are at an infestation rate around here. The farmer that we let have rent-free access to the larger lots had 12 nuisance permits last year. You have to prove a significant loss of income to get those permits. It doesn’t even make a dent in how many deer there are. This particular garden is devoted to learning how to defeat these pricks. (That’s why all my other gardens have a six foot fence).

I was going to suggest a nuisance permit but I know they're normally reserved for farmers around these parts.  Doesn't necessarily mean the farmer has to be the one pulling the trigger.

3 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I was going to suggest a nuisance permit but I know they're normally reserved for farmers around these parts.  Doesn't necessarily mean the farmer has to be the one pulling the trigger.

I take a deer every year but what the hell am I going to do with all the rest? 

My new plan for next year is to plant some dummy gardens that I don’t bother weeding. Enough that they can have whatever and leave mine alone.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, French Collection said:

Dude ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.