Ralph Krueger, end of year presser

LGR4GM

I've been thinking...

Would Nail Yakupov be a player the Sabres should look at for RW depth this off-season?

He was a Calder finalist under Krueger in Edmonton in 12-13. Never quite got back to that level after Krueger was let go.

But if he was playing for a coach he liked...perhaps on Jack's wing...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I wish Krueger would buy the Sabres

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Whatever happens in the next year, hang onto this guy in some capacity 

He is everything Botterill is not as a leader.

I have no idea if he can get talent, but he was born to have people follow him.
We could do a lot worse than putting Ralph in charge. (And have)

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I've been thinking...

Would Nail Yakupov be a player the Sabres should look at for RW depth this off-season?

He was a Calder finalist under Krueger in Edmonton in 12-13. Never quite got back to that level after Krueger was let go.

Thought has crossed my mind too. Stats weren’t great in the K.

Id kick those tires. 

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I've been thinking...

Would be cost effective and it’s not a bad idea 

I like Ralph and I think he is a born leader and manager.  I’m not sold on him being anything more than a slightly below average NHL Head Coach though.  He didn’t show anything impressive this season.

He can motivate but I don’t have confidence in his X’s and O’s.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Curt said:

I like Ralph and I think he is a born leader and manager.  I’m not sold on him being anything more than a slightly below average NHL Head Coach though.  He didn’t show anything impressive this season.

He can motivate but I don’t have confidence in his X’s and O’s.

Then make him the 'bench coach' and have the other coaches do the Xs and Os, whatever they are.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh. It’s a good sound bite.

I’ve noticed, almost every coach, GM and player ... they have canned responses to questions. Answers that don’t stir the pot or are non controversial. I’ve also noticed, not all fans are aware of this. 
Pegulas say something .... Get the pitchforks!
JB says something .... He sucks get him outta here!
RK says something .... ❤️❤️❤️

?

They all try to keep their cards close to the vest. They all tell the media what they want to hear. And what they think fans will eat up. With the occasional “off the reservation” rant.

Good sound bite. No real substance.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thought has crossed my mind too. Stats weren’t great in the K.

Id kick those tires. 

It'd be pretty low risk to take a look.

I'm just trying to think of ways this idea of Krueger being a "player's coach" might be attractive. I think it's been mentioned in the past that Eberle liked him. Jack's gushing about him can't hurt. Players talk, ya know?

Can the Concept of Krueger do some of the heavy lifting...

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He confirmed that the entire coaching staff will be back next year 

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If he can’t figure out how to use Skinner and Dahlin in order to maximize their talents....he can go with Botts. 

These two items are enough to make me reluctant to jump on any bandwagon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm thinking take over the Pegulas as the eye in the sky, being the man the Gm reports to  and keeping the organizational culture top notch 

That's even a better idea.  You are giving me hope for the future ... and not only about the damn Sabres.

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It'd be pretty low risk to take a look.

I'm just trying to think of ways this idea of Krueger being a "player's coach" might be attractive. I think it's been mentioned in the past that Eberle liked him. Jack's gushing about him can't hurt. Players talk, ya know?

Can the Concept of Krueger do some of the heavy lifting...

“All my buddies love Ralph, and I might get a chance to play with Eichel” holds more weight than the Because Buffalo crowd might think.

I don’t believe Ralph (Or anyone) needs to be a top-notch Xs and Os guy to be a good coach. He has to be competent in that area, but coaching is first and foremost about making decisions and managing people. Bales Granato and Smith can supply tactics if Ralph lacks i that area.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm thinking take over the Pegulas as the eye in the sky, being the man the Gm reports to  and keeping the organizational culture top notch 

Do you really need this role if you hire a competent GM with experience? Would you need it if you hired, say, Lombardi or Hextall?

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“All my buddies love Ralph, and I might get a chance to play with Eichel” holds more weight than the Because Buffalo crowd might think.

I don’t believe Ralph (Or anyone) needs to be a top-notch Xs and Os guy to be a good coach. He has to be competent in that area, but coaching is first and foremost about making decisions and managing people. Bales Granato and Smith can supply tactics if Ralph lacks i that area.

I hope so.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, I’m curious what Taylor Hall and Ralph think of each other.

Mhmmm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.