Eichel’s End of Season Zoom Meeting/Now with Risto Quotes.

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Tops as both players and coaches are few.  You can add Jacques Lemaire, Jack Adams, Hap Day, "Gentleman" Joe Primeau, Cooney Weiland, and a few others.

Most good coaches were at best above-average players.  Guys like Lindy Ruff, Al Arbour, Carl Voss, Al Arbour, Joel Quenville, Pat Quinn, etc. are far more common.

I don't think it is all related to skill.  Pluggers weren't well paid.  Stars were.  I'd say there was more motivation on the side of the pluggers to keep a paycheck coming in.

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don't think it is all related to skill.  Pluggers weren't well paid.  Stars were.  I'd say there was more motivation on the side of the pluggers to keep a paycheck coming in.

I agree.  I think the pluggers have to reflect more on the game, how they succeed, etc. than the super-talented.  I have seen this with professors in college, coaches in sports, musicians conducting orchestras, etc.

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Also, for every one star player, there are 100 pluggers, so odds of some becoming a good HC are 100 to 1 in favor of the pluggers.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, darksabre said:

I think what he means is guys who don't get pushed off the puck easily and are willing to put their bodies on the line to generate offense, i.e. not Casey Mittelstadt, or Tage Thompson, or Vlad Sobotka, or Olofsson, or any of the other guys that he's had to put up with on the top lines over his career so far.

Holding on to the puck is part of generating offense. Winning battles is part of generating offense.

I don't blame him for wanting real NHL players in the lineup. That's all he's saying: he wants real NHL players. Not prospects, not JAGs, not reclamation projects. 

It sounds like he misses Ryan O'Reilly, doesn't it? Like maybe all that stuff about him and O'Reilly not getting along wasn't true? Like maybe it was "leaked" so that management would have an excuse to move him...

"Toughness" remains an enormous part of this game, particularly in the playoffs.  It's worth noting we are going to need to win on a regular basis for 2 months during playoff hockey, if we are ever going to win the Cup.

The weak, timid, passive players our lineup is filled with aren't going to get that job done.

If they ever go back to playing, watch how many times Reinhart will have the puck on his stick and literally get knocked to the ice, while the guy doing the knocking takes the puck and goes in the other direction with it.  Reinhart is a clever player and has good value and has his place on the team, but if you think he's going to grind out 2 months of playoff hockey and hoist a Cup, well...

I think some fans now latch onto the word "toughness" and think people are talking about getting in a fight or laying someone out in open ice with a clean hit.  That's not it anymore, unfortunately! 

Our problem is that Botterill has demonstrated that he has no idea how to properly value players, and seems to have a fondness for weak, soft players.  

He's not going to change who he is at this point.

That's why he is a dead man walking, and we could have moved things along much more efficiently by moving on from him now.

Get ready for "9 years" to become 10.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:02 PM, dudacek said:

I think you need to watch Sam Reinhart and his play in traffic a little more closely.

There's no way Sam would be adjusting his helmet mid-play as much as he does if he wasn't getting into the dirty areas. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.