Eichel’s End of Season Zoom Meeting/Now with Risto Quotes.

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill’s GM Chair better be a raging inferno next season, because these comments should be triggering warning alarms at One Seymour Knox Plaza 

His chair should be smoldering cinders right now.  

• Like (+1) 2

I am concerned that Eichel is talking about veterans and toughness. I hope he means mental toughness. This teams needs more offensive generators, at 3 least 3 if you already count Kahun, or next year will be more of the same. Stretches of good play bookended by long stretches of bad. No team maintains 82 games of their best hockey. We need to stop believing that and start understanding the Sabres play in the middle of their ability bell curve and that curve ranks them in the bottom 3rd of the league. Maybe botterill should stop lying about veterans talent and start bringing in actual talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am concerned that Eichel is talking about veterans and toughness. I hope he means mental toughness. This teams needs more offensive generators, at 3 least 3 if you already count Kahun, or next year will be more of the same. Stretches of good play bookended by long stretches of bad. No team maintains 82 games of their best hockey. We need to stop believing that and start understanding the Sabres play in the middle of their ability bell curve and that curve ranks them in the bottom 3rd of the league. Maybe botterill should stop lying about veterans talent and start bringing in actual talent. 

I think what he means is guys who don't get pushed off the puck easily and are willing to put their bodies on the line to generate offense, i.e. not Casey Mittelstadt, or Tage Thompson, or Vlad Sobotka, or Olofsson, or any of the other guys that he's had to put up with on the top lines over his career so far.

Holding on to the puck is part of generating offense. Winning battles is part of generating offense.

I don't blame him for wanting real NHL players in the lineup. That's all he's saying: he wants real NHL players. Not prospects, not JAGs, not reclamation projects. 

It sounds like he misses Ryan O'Reilly, doesn't it? Like maybe all that stuff about him and O'Reilly not getting along wasn't true? Like maybe it was "leaked" so that management would have an excuse to move him...

• Awesome! (+1) 4

Alternate view and hot take: the Sabres can lose with or without Jack Eichel. How many regimes are going to be ousted because not enough is put in place around him to overcome some deficiency of his? It's odd hearing some of these guys sound like they're not part of the problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Alternate view and hot take: the Sabres can lose with or without Jack Eichel. How many regimes are going to be ousted because not enough is put in place around him to overcome some deficiency of his? It's odd hearing some of these guys sound like they're not part of the problem.

How the ***** is Jack Eichel part of the problem? 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, if only Jack's deficiencies weren't there, Murray and Jason's garbage teams would have won and they wouldn't have had to be ousted 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think what he means is guys who don't get pushed off the puck easily and are willing to put their bodies on the line to generate offense, i.e. not Casey Mittelstadt, or Tage Thompson, or Vlad Sobotka, or Olofsson, or any of the other guys that he's had to put up with on the top lines over his career so far.

Holding on to the puck is part of generating offense. Winning battles is part of generating offense.

I don't blame him for wanting real NHL players in the lineup. That's all he's saying: he wants real NHL players. Not prospects, not JAGs, not reclamation projects. 

It sounds like he misses Ryan O'Reilly, doesn't it? Like maybe all that stuff about him and O'Reilly not getting along wasn't true? Like maybe it was "leaked" so that management would have an excuse to move him...

There is a great current article in the Athletic about the Canucks/Blackhawks rivalry during their most recent good runs. Players from both sides talk about how much genuine hatred they had for each other and how each game was a war where they constantly were pushing the line physically and psychologically in an attempt to break each other.

These were two teams that mostly get characterized as skill teams, but as skilled as they were, they were also filled with guys who brought it.

We are filled with guys that don’t and Botterill has shown no inclination to want to change that. More Marcus Johanssons aren’t the answer, and trading Risto isn’t the answer. Ryan O’Reillys? Yes please.

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

See ya Risto 

Seen this movie before.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.