Do you believe? in the Sabres.

LGR4GM

Believe   

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Buffalo Sabres will turn things around within Botterill's time as GM?

• Yes, we are headed in the right direction
    • Yes, I believe
    • No, this management group is a failure
    • No, I don't believe

36 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I doubt he brings another goalie in before he's had a look at Hutton in the regular season. No one is going to take Hutton's cap hit, so the only option is waivers.

He'd have to work out the same deal with Hutton that he did with Bogo: waive him knowing he wont report to Rochester, terminate the contract, then Hutton can go try to sign for cheaper with another NHL team.

You'd think watching Hutton allow at least 5 goals in a huge percentage of games right in a row as we fought to keep our season alive would have been enough. People here were apoplectic he kept being put on the ice. Ralph was starting Jonas freaking Johansson over a rested Hutton. Jason would be mad to do this 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

You'd think watching Hutton allow at least 5 goals in a huge percentage of games right in a row as we fought to keep our season alive would have been enough. People here were apoplectic he kept being put on the ice. Ralph was starting Jonas freaking Johansson over a rested Hutton. Jason would be mad to do this 

Jason will bet on Hutton’s Octobers again, just like he bet on Casey’s WJC again, Sheary’s stint with Crosby again and will bet on Philadelphia Wayne Simmonds again.

EDIT: and we can’t forget that inexpensive bet on the rebounds of Berglund and Sobotka.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jason will bet on Hutton’s October’s again, just like he bet on Casey’s WJC again, Sheary’s stint with Crosby again and will bet on Philadelphia Wayne Simmonds again.

Though a forth line of Larry, Girgs and Simmonds sounds good... problem is the second and third lines of who exactly? Wash rinse repeat last year... 

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's what he's gonna do though 

28 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Though a forth line of Larry, Girgs and Simmonds sounds good... problem is the second and third lines of who exactly? Wash rinse repeat last year... 

Umm, actually, as Okposo is completely untradable and only works on the Larsson line, no, actually, that doesn't sound like a good idea. 

Fully expecting to see Simmonds back next season.  Truly hating that thought. 

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, actually, as Okposo is completely untradable and only works on the Larsson line, no, actually, that doesn't sound like a good idea. 

Yeah, he didn't seem to bring too much before the season went on hold. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Forgot about Ok... true... So top lines Sabres have Jack, Sam, Ollie... 2nd Skinner probably Cozens and Kahun... 3rd what TT, Mitts and Simmonds? or some other more experienced garbage...

Would rather see Cozens on third line with Mitts and maybe Simmonds... leaving Skinner and Kahun without a center... am I forgetting someone?

44 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Forgot about Ok... true... So top lines Sabres have Jack, Sam, Ollie... 2nd Skinner probably Cozens and Kahun... 3rd what TT, Mitts and Simmonds? or some other more experienced garbage...

Would rather see Cozens on third line with Mitts and maybe Simmonds... leaving Skinner and Kahun without a center... am I forgetting someone?

You are forgetting Johansson.  Also, hopefully you are forgetting the 2C that Ristolainen (or other D-man) is the centerpiece of the package that turns into aforementioned 2C.

If somehow they don't make a trade for a 2C, would prefer to see Kahun-Johansson-Olofsson making up the 2nd line with Skinner going back to Eichel & Reinhart's line as my guess is the 2 lines overall will have more chemistry than if J & V are swapped on the LW.  (And also will be 100% on board the dump Botterill bandwagon.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

If Simmonds is the 13th forward rotating in with Okposo and Girgensons it might be tolerable. But that is an expensive “luxury”.  I’d like better.  

1 minute ago, Weave said:

If Simmonds is the 13th forward rotating in with Okposo and Girgensons it might be tolerable. But that is an expensive “luxury”.  I’d like better.  

And maybe having Okposo & Simmonds swapping out for each other keeps them both useful as they both get long in the tooth.

Not thrilled with it.  But pretty sure we're getting it whether we want it or not.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:08 AM, PASabreFan said:

No. What did Lindy say during a losing streak? The hope tank is low?

Kim said it all. Their goal is to keep the Sabres sustainable and viable. Alive, barely. Like the people in Coma.

No one caught Jason saying he's been asked to double-up his hockey department staff? Does that mean scouts will work in analytics, trainers will create videos, Rip will don the SabreTooth costume?

Totally agree with this. I made a long post a while back meant to be funny. The summary is JBot gets experience and when fired nobody really holds it against him as it was a learning experience and the Sabres suck anyway. IMO if he gets fired he’ll get picked up quickly so he doesn’t have much to lose. 

Maybe the Pegula’s look at the fan base like a little wind up toy. Say the right things to get them stirred up but when it’s over it’s pretty disappointing. I don’t live in WNY anymore but from what I remember, during the winter you have the Sabres and snow. They know fans will buy those tickets at first no matter how much they complain. 

In the end the GM has minimal pressure and the owner keeps collecting the rent. It hits real rock bottom when the only good thing about the organization says I’m done.

Edited by SABRES 0311

On 5/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, darksabre said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with him. He's just the same inconsistent goalie he's always been. That Botterill thought otherwise isn't really Hutton's fault.

I would take Johannson and Ulmark over Hutton being in the rotation again.

The Sabres WOULD 100% be in the 24 team playoff if he wasn't their goalie in 30 of their games this year. 

I would even go as far as they would be right there if there was only a 16 team playoff.  He let them down time and time again. there is no way he can come back next season. He would be great in Rochester with either Johannson or UPL.

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would take Johannson and Ulmark over Hutton being in the rotation again.

The Sabres WOULD 100% be in the 24 team playoff if he wasn't their goalie in 30 of their games this year. 

I would even go as far as they would be right there if there was only a 16 team playoff.  He let them down time and time again. there is no way he can come back next season. He would be great in Rochester with either Johannson or UPL.

I wouldn't Johansson was not good in the NHL last year.

This organization is the absolute laughing stock of the league, from top to bottom.

Eichel at this point would be justified to ask out of he wished. He is wasting the next 2-3 years here of another pending rebuild incoming.

If I owned the Sabres, I would make every effort to hire a Team President, have that President either be the GM or hire their own person, then their own coach. And that staff has the ability to do what they see fit, even if that meant trading Eichel and/or Dahlin.

6 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

This organization is the absolute laughing stock of the league, from top to bottom.

Eichel at this point would be justified to ask out of he wished. He is wasting the next 2-3 years here of another pending rebuild incoming.

If I owned the Sabres, I would make every effort to hire a Team President, have that President either be the GM or hire their own person, then their own coach. And that staff has the ability to do what they see fit, even if that meant trading Eichel and/or Dahlin.

You’re high. Text again when you’re sober 

On 5/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, North Buffalo said:

If Simmonds is still on this team whenever play resumes, we know botterill failed. 

• Like (+1) 3

I will always be a Sabres fan, regardless of where things stand.  This team is so close, but so far away in so many ways.  They still need to fix the bottom six forward groups, and it needs to be done creatively with an outside the box approach.  I just don't think that Botterill has that in him.  Three things need to happen, keep the draft picks or trade them for a legitimate world beater of a second line center.   If this team gets a creative centermen who can open up the ice for players like Olofsson, Skinner, Kahun, Johansson, and Reinhart then we've got a top six.  There is enough skill talent in that group with a player like a Sean Monahan (as an example) where we would instantly have the ability to balance things out.   With a player like Monahan on this roster, you can easily facilitate and gradually bring in Cozens and Mittelstadt without as much pressure.  Creating more depth and opportunities.  If you have a win it out third line center role with Cozens and Mittelstadt and then re-sign Larsson to a contract he deserves, you have a strong pipeline down the middle.  TWO:  Trade Rasmus Ristolainen.   Botterill has shown the ability to acquire talent on the defensive side.  Whether they fit logistically:  Miller / Montour, the jury is still out.  However, Joker has been a godsend for this team in analytics terms an is possibly the best trade pick up in years for this team.   Three:  Fix the goal tending.  Get a legit number one starter or draft Askarov at #8 overall.  Yes, I'm serious. 

11 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh forgot about Johannsen... put him at C2, Cozens C3 with Mitts and TT.  See what happens.

Mojo at 2C is a terrible idea. He is a 3LW. This Botteril strategy has already failed. Mitts and TT on 3rd line is another terrible idea but I expect Botteril to make stupid moves like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I will always be a Sabres fan, regardless of where things stand.  This team is so close, but so far away in so many ways.  They still need to fix the bottom six forward groups, and it needs to be done creatively with an outside the box approach.  I just don't think that Botterill has that in him.  Three things need to happen, keep the draft picks or trade them for a legitimate world beater of a second line center.   If this team gets a creative centermen who can open up the ice for players like Olofsson, Skinner, Kahun, Johansson, and Reinhart then we've got a top six.  There is enough skill talent in that group with a player like a Sean Monahan (as an example) where we would instantly have the ability to balance things out.   With a player like Monahan on this roster, you can easily facilitate and gradually bring in Cozens and Mittelstadt without as much pressure.  Creating more depth and opportunities.  If you have a win it out third line center role with Cozens and Mittelstadt and then re-sign Larsson to a contract he deserves, you have a strong pipeline down the middle.  TWO:  Trade Rasmus Ristolainen.   Botterill has shown the ability to acquire talent on the defensive side.  Whether they fit logistically:  Miller / Montour, the jury is still out.  However, Joker has been a godsend for this team in analytics terms an is possibly the best trade pick up in years for this team.   Three:  Fix the goal tending.  Get a legit number one starter or draft Askarov at #8 overall.  Yes, I'm serious. 

Askarov at #8 is a horrible idea. We need competent goaltending now and more high end forwards. 

2 minutes ago, freester said:

Askarov at #8 is a horrible idea. We need competent goaltending now and more high end forwards. 

I agree with you,  however where are you getting it from.  I don't really see a lot of options out there.  Unless you're willing to break the bank on Holtby, or trade for the likes of Matt Murray.   I am in the opinion that Holtby will be nothing more than average and again be an abysmal contract.  Let alone the fact that he wouldn't likely come to Buffalo as an unrestricted free agent. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

6 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

First bolded:
I don’t think there needs to be major work done on the bottom-6.  Buffalo has a lot of pretty good bottom-6 options.  Okposo and Lazar will be there.  Larsson and Girgs if they return.  Cozens and Thompson will be there.  Simmonds and Vesey could also return, and Asplund and Mittelstadt are options, but I don’t think any of them are good exactly.

The real issue is that not all of Johansson, Kahun, and Olofsson should be in the top-6.  Ideally, you want them on the 3rd line or as the 3rd best forward on a top-6 line.  They are played too high in the lineup because there is no one else.  This brings me to your 2nd bolded.

Second Bolded: 
Absolutely!  The lack of quality top-6 players, and especially a quality 2C have really crippled this team.  It is their defining weakness.  Adding Sean Monahan, for example, would change everything.  It would allow some of Olofsson, Johansson, Kahun, to move down to the 3rd line, possibly playing beside Cozens, and maybe creating 3 lines that could actually score.  Unimaginable, I know.

Third Bolded:.  
Askarov seems good and all, but even he would probably be 3+ years out from real NHL action.  I don’t think Buffalo needs a goalie for 2023-24 They need a slight goaltending upgrade right now, and they need high end forward talent.  With a top a top-10 pick in this draft, they could add a forward who helps the NHL team in 2021-22

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.