Should this year’s Stanley Cup champion have an *asterisk ?

spndnchz

What say you?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

On 5/28/2020 at 7:04 AM, carpandean said:

Has any other year?  2013?

There was only ONE AWARDING of the Stanley Cup audacious enough to warrant deserving to have an asterisk next to it.  And that was the final time a Stanley Cup was awarded in the 20th century.  What a truly tragic way to exit the past millenium.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Does Dallas's 1999 win have one in the official NHL record books?  If not, then no.

Read above, it SHOULD.  Sadly, it doesn't.  Even more sadly, it looks like they won't get to a winner even though they should finish that game & (wishfully, should that go well) game 7 before they're all too d*man old to resolve it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I would say no b/c all 4 series are going to be 7 games.  Nothing unusual in that regard.

However, this remains a crazy season and if they actually get around to playing hockey, if there was ever going to be a chance for a team to "steal" a Cup, it's now.

Hockey teams can be very streaky and whoever is lucky enough to be locked into the right groove when they start playing again will have a solid shot at the Cup.  That doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with which team is best.

I'm thinking of the Kings when they won their first Cup.  They may actually have been the best team in the league, but they were just locked into a groove where they were tight within their system, playing very consistently, and they weren't even hardly losing any games, let alone series.  It all came together for them just at the right time.

I can see another team doing something similar this year.

Of course, this all assumes they actually play hockey.  I'm not convinced they will.

10 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would say no b/c all 4 series are going to be 7 games.  Nothing unusual in that regard.

However, this remains a crazy season and if they actually get around to playing hockey, if there was ever going to be a chance for a team to "steal" a Cup, it's now.

Hockey teams can be very streaky and whoever is lucky enough to be locked into the right groove when they start playing again will have a solid shot at the Cup.  That doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with which team is best.

I'm thinking of the Kings when they won their first Cup.  They may actually have been the best team in the league, but they were just locked into a groove where they were tight within their system, playing very consistently, and they weren't even hardly losing any games, let alone series.  It all came together for them just at the right time.

I can see another team doing something similar this year.

Of course, this all assumes they actually play hockey.  I'm not convinced they will.

Point of fact: Assuming it takes 34 games to win the Cup for a "steal", the Buffalo Sabres were 20-9-5 through 34 games in 2018-9 and 16-11-7 in 2019-20.  So a team with ice time going to Sobotka, Sheary, Elie, Mittlestadt, Thompson, and the horrendous Scandella-Ristolainen pairing had a good enough record for as long as these playoffs will be to win the Stanley Cup.

Just think about that.

No, not at all. If the team wins the cup according to the rules laid out in front of them when the playoff starts, then its no question to me the answer should be no.

An "*" should only be considered if AFTER the cup is rewarded, it is found out that a team cheated in a major way to win the cup..or if the rules were changed along the way (supposed a team is leading the finals 3 games to 2, and then for some reason the finals need to get canceled so the cup is just rewarded to the team that is up at that time.)

Voted No as well. There have been shortened seasons before. There are been seasons where 2/3 of the teams were in the playoffs. This is a strange one, but not so far outside the lines that it needs special recognition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.