Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Official Lawrence Pilut Signs 2 Year Deal for the KHL

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Curt said:

If there had not been 11 other NHL D on the team, maybe Pilut could have gotten a prolonged try in the NHL and he would not have felt like he had to go to the KHL.

While we're throwing hypotheticals out there, maybe it's so simply as being happier back over there.  He's not the first and certainly won't be the last guy to go back after a couple years here.  Sometimes there's nothing sinister going on at all.  If he really wanted to be in the NHL but not with Buffalo, he probably would have been able to make it happen.  I think even the team would have worked with him on that if it was the case.  So he thinks the KHL is the best path for his career, so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, shrader said:

While we're throwing hypotheticals out there, maybe it's so simply as being happier back over there.  He's not the first and certainly won't be the last guy to go back after a couple years here.  Sometimes there's nothing sinister going on at all.  If he really wanted to be in the NHL but not with Buffalo, he probably would have been able to make it happen.  I think even the team would have worked with him on that if it was the case.  So he thinks the KHL is the best path for his career, so be it.

And, should the Sabres tender him a QO they retain his rights should he ever decide to come back.  This isn't exactly Radulov (he was the one that walked, right, or was it 1 of their other Russians?) walking on the Preds a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shrader said:

While we're throwing hypotheticals out there, maybe it's so simply as being happier back over there.  He's not the first and certainly won't be the last guy to go back after a couple years here.  Sometimes there's nothing sinister going on at all.  If he really wanted to be in the NHL but not with Buffalo, he probably would have been able to make it happen.  I think even the team would have worked with him on that if it was the case.  So he thinks the KHL is the best path for his career, so be it.

Yeah, it’s not the end of the world, it’s just one more thing.  I think he had a good chance of being a consistent NHLer and wasn’t given a real chance.

If he had been consistently getting an NHL paycheck and chartered flights as opposed to AHL checks and bus rides, I bet he wouldn’t be going to the KHL now.  Anything from him would have been found money because Buffalo got him for nothing, but they weren’t able to get anything out of him at the NHL level.  Missed opportunity is how I see it.

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dudacek said:

He’s going to challenge Antipin and Grigorenko for the scoring title over there.

He might even light it up like Artem Kryukov. 

Blue jacket now 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly Pilut moving on creates an opportunity for someone like Bryson or Borgen to earn an NHL job.  I like the idea of getting a more physical presence in the lineup as long as the guy can skate 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly Pilut moving on creates an opportunity for someone like Bryson or Borgen to earn an NHL job.  I like the idea of getting a more physical presence in the lineup as long as the guy can skate 

Not unless Botterill makes a move, especially on the right side.

RD-Risto, Montour, Jokiharju, Miller, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Nelson

LD-Dahlin, McCabe, Bryson........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt we see Casey Nelson back next year either.

Number 4 LD at this point has to be Samuelsson, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Doubt we see Casey Nelson back next year either.

Number 4 LD at this point has to be Samuelsson, no?

Right now? Probably. However, its more likely Jbot signs a depth LHD for either the Sabres and or Rochester.

@Curt Also most NHL teams don’t have a perfect LD vs RD balance.  

I also suspect the some of the RD depth gets traded to bolster the forwards.  Miller, Montour and Risto must all be on the block depending on what is offered in return.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wasn’t good enough to crack the roster of a bottom tier team.  He made the correct career move and signed with a league where he is good enough.

I cannot find fault with Jbott here.  Pilut didn’t have value around the league IMO.  This feels like gnashing of teeth over not very much at all.

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Weave said:

He wasn’t good enough to crack the roster of a bottom tier team.  He made the correct career move and signed with a league where he is good enough.

I cannot find fault with Jbott here.  Pilut didn’t have value around the league IMO.  This feels like gnashing of teeth over not very much at all.

I tend to agree here with weave. Hoping the depth pool gets better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Weave said:

He wasn’t good enough to crack the roster of a bottom tier team.  He made the correct career move and signed with a league where he is good enough.

I cannot find fault with Jbott here.  Pilut didn’t have value around the league IMO.  This feels like gnashing of teeth over not very much at all.

A lot of people convinced themselves Pilut was better than he really is. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Right now? Probably. However, its more likely Jbot signs a depth LHD for either the Sabres and or Rochester.

@Curt Also most NHL teams don’t have a perfect LD vs RD balance.  

I also suspect the some of the RD depth gets traded to bolster the forwards.  Miller, Montour and Risto must all be on the block depending on what is offered in return.

Not suggesting that there needs to be.  However, are any of the Sabres RHD good at playing LD???  They kept putting Montour there and he was not good at it.

But anyway, it’s really not the point.  My response was just to the assertion that Pilut jumping ship was maybe actually a good thing.  That’s a real stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not suggesting that there needs to be.  However, are any of the Sabres RHD good at playing LD???  They kept putting Montour there and he was not good at it.

But anyway, it’s really not the point.  My response was just to the assertion that Pilut jumping ship was maybe actually a good thing.  That’s a real stretch.

I never said “good thing.”  I said it creates an opportunity for other guys on the depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I never said “good thing.”  I said it creates an opportunity for other guys on the depth chart.

They still would have had an opportunity if Pilut was there though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darksabre said:

A lot of people convinced themselves Pilut was better than he really is. 

That and people just want to find any reason to complain. Has anyone accused Botterill of poking Hutton in the eye yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Best defenseman of the year in the SHL  goes to Buffalo. Loses his love of the game and leaves.

C´mon, something have got to change....Eichel, one of the best in the NHL, Dahlin, who by the way has bulked up to 93 kg, and a few others, a few, can stay. The rest of the team needs to go, the okposos, girgs, larssons and many more. Coach is probably good, but the ones above him needs to go including the owners, before you get a good team.

 

This is so obvious but nothing is done about it, feel sad for Jack and the fans.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 1:16 PM, Curt said:

If there had not been 11 other NHL D on the team, maybe Pilut could have gotten a prolonged try in the NHL and he would not have felt like he had to go to the KHL.

THIS. And now we are short on LHD. We are literally short on LHD going into next season after having a surplus headed into last. It's hilarious. What was even the return on all that?

On 6/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, dudacek said:

He’s going to challenge Antipin and Grigorenko for the scoring title over there.

He might even light it up like Artem Kryukov. 

Mismanagement of assets regardless. He was an AHL all-star. Doesn't Botterill preach growth through Rochester? Laughing this off is letting Botts off the hook far, far too much. 

The Sabres aren't in a position to squander AN asset never mind the recklessness we've seen. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 4:52 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly Pilut moving on creates an opportunity for someone like Bryson or Borgen to earn an NHL job.  I like the idea of getting a more physical presence in the lineup as long as the guy can skate 

They were preaching that Pilut needed to develop further and he was 24. You think those guys are going to step into the lineup?

Better move out our AHL all-star to create a hole for someone who likely won't ever reach that level! 

COME ON.

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, dudacek said:

Doubt we see Casey Nelson back next year either.

Number 4 LD at this point has to be Samuelsson, no?

Jesus, I thought we needed forwards. 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:37 PM, shrader said:

That and people just want to find any reason to complain. Has anyone accused Botterill of poking Hutton in the eye yet?

We're creeping up to the point in the summer where we're getting that, "wait wait wait, is Botterill really that bad?" stuff. 😉

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

THIS. And now we are short on LHD. We are literally short on LHD going into next season after having a surplus headed into last. It's hilarious. What was even the return on all that?

Defensive surplus:

LHD Scandella + Pilut (AHL All-Star) + Hunwick / RHD Bogosian + Redmond (AHL All-Star) = Carry the one....   19 games of Frolik.

  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Defensive surplus:

LHD Scandella + Pilut (AHL All-Star) + Hunwick / RHD Bogosian + Redmond (AHL All-Star) = Carry the one....   19 games of Frolik.

I mean, I forgot about Redmond. 

I don't even care that much about Pilut in a vacuum. It just speaks to the ridiculous hypocrisy in Botterill's execution/stated strategy. Of course there is always context, but if you want to FALL BACK ON ROCHESTER as a reason you should keep having your job, I struggle to see how losing TWO ahl all-star defenseman can be met with anything other than further disappointment from the fan base. 

A good team can lose Pilut for nothing and it be, "whatever". The Sabres, after missing the playoffs for 9 years, aren't in a position where we can afford to lose even those players. Not when it'll just be used as an excuse for why Botterill has to use the summer to add LHD when it was supposed to be about addressing the forward ranks. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, Weave said:

He wasn’t good enough to crack the roster of a bottom tier team.  He made the correct career move and signed with a league where he is good enough.

I cannot find fault with Jbott here.  Pilut didn’t have value around the league IMO.  This feels like gnashing of teeth over not very much at all.

Actually it fells like gnashing teeth just to be negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually it fells like gnashing teeth just to be negative.

It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in losing an, at worst, AHL All-Star D-man, whether or not you share that disappointment. Particularly with the LHD depth what it is. 

Dismissing it as "just to be negative" implies there isn't a valid reason to be disappointed, which isn't true. You can just disagree instead of implying the arguments on the other side are disingenuous.

Quote

 

Lol.  He signed this guy for nothing and the guy is exercising his free agent rights. How is this Jbot’s fault? The guy wasn’t good enough to win a permanent job on our defense and isn’t guaranteed to make the top 6 this next season.  Right now he is a quality AAAA player.  Think Guhle.  Considering our depth on D in the organization, this is certainly not a huge loss, just a disappointing one because it feels there is more potential there then we have seen.  

We also maintain his rights if he ever wants to return. 

 

You said yourself you are disappointed, some perhaps just a bit more than you. 

Some people have been throwing around a "death by a thousand cuts" metaphor regarding Botterill's tenure, it's one I agree with and personally, seeing the move within that context is what does it for me. 

YMMV. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly JB has richly earned the current lack of faith in him from most observers here, and thus the assumption that this was another blunder or misplay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, Thorny said:

I don't even care that much about Pilut in a vacuum.

A good team can lose Pilut for nothing and it be, "whatever". The Sabres, after missing the playoffs for 9 years, aren't in a position where we can afford to lose even those players. Not when it'll just be used as an excuse for why Botterill has to use the summer to add LHD when it was supposed to be about addressing the forward ranks. 

Every year a team loses a player or two they might want to keep -- whether via free agency or health-related. Or even trade. That's perfectly normal and fine. Tons of attrition and all. And you're absolutely right -- in a vacuum it's fine. But it's losing all that D stockpile and garnering nothing back of value. In fact, it could easily be argued that trading the Scandella-pick for Frolik was a negative value because of the impact on the cap and next year's cap for bonuses.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually it fells like gnashing teeth just to be negative.

We must release our anger. Only our hatred can dest...  It's more that accentuating the positive within this stockpile of defensemen is getting harder and harder to do.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...