Official Lawrence Pilut Signs 2 Year Deal for the KHL

Brawndo

On the very slight off-hand chance that after a D is traded in the 2C deal that Pilut actually turns out to be the 4th best remaining D-man, this actually could work out for the Sabres.

By them making a qualifying offer, they retain his rights, but him not being in the NHL there's no reason for Seattle to claim him, so the Sabres lose their 5th best D-man rather than their 4th best or 8th best forward (or Hutton in some strange alternative universe where he plays well enough to get a 1 year extension (ok, how we're just getting silly)) and then after the draft he comes back.

Not likely to happen, but it's tough to get too upset at a 5D walking.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Personally, I don't believe a lick of the Super Secret Source stuff. 

Hard not to when it lines up so accurately with Botterill’s established brand.

Regardless, the entire things adds up to yet another example of bungled roster management. 

Edited by Thorny

I can't understand why nobody can understand the very negative long-term ramifications of this: This team has to have the worst rep of any NHL team to European UFA's because of how many guys they have treated like crap. Why would any sane person sign here if they had any other option because they know if they come here they will be dicked around by our garbage clownshoes organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I can't understand why nobody can understand the very negative long-term ramifications of this: This team has to have the worst rep of any NHL team to European UFA's because of how many guys they have treated like crap. Why would any sane person sign here if they had any other option because they know if they come here they will be dicked around by our garbage clownshoes organization. 

Except you don’t know any Euros they dicked around and have no evidence to support this.

The signed Olofsson’s brother and reportedly are about to sign Ruotsalainen’s linemate. They signed Ruotsalainen last year and Pilut the year before. They draft and play more Swedes than just about anybody.

Undrafted Euros want to play in the NHL not the minors. The Sabres are considered attractive because they are an easier team to make.

Edited by dudacek

7 minutes ago, sabremike said:

As long as the lineup resembles Swiss cheese, Euros will be enticed. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Except you don’t know any Euros they dicked around and have no evidence to support this.

The signed Olofsson’s brother and reportedly are about to sign Ruotsalainen’s linemate. They signed Ruotsalainen last year and Pilut the year before. They draft and play more Swedes than just about anybody.

Undrafted Euros want to play in the NHL not the minors. The Sabres are considered attractive because they are an easier team to make.

Off the top of my head: Antipin and Pilut (you know, a guy who is basically the only guy that when paired with Risto (who is basically a laughingstock of the sport because he is so bad) made him a positive player and was rewarded by being buried in the AHL while worthless junk players were given spots in the NHL lineup for life no matter how bad they or the team sucked).

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Off the top of my head: Antipin and Pilut (you know, a guy who is basically the only guy that when paired with Risto (who is basically a laughingstock of the sport because he is so bad) made him a positive player and was rewarded by being buried in the AHL while worthless junk players were given spots in the NHL lineup for life no matter how bad they or the team sucked).

Oh, brother. How is giving marginal euros a chance at the NHL treating them like crap?

There is plenty to be upset at this organ-eye-zation over, Pilut and Antipin ain’t it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Oh, brother. How is giving marginal euros a chance at the NHL treating them like crap?

There is plenty to be upset at this organ-eye-zation over, Pilut and Antipin ain’t it.

Except neither one really was given that chance. This organization is a complete pile of suck, tossing away useful assets because we are run by incompetent fools is a major reason why our organization is a complete pile of suck.

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Except neither one really was given that chance. This organization is a complete pile of suck, tossing away useful assets because we are run by incompetent fools is a major reason why our organization is a complete pile of suck.

So? What’s Antipin done away from the Sabres?

I like Pilut. He makes some beautiful plays. He also gets tossed around like a blowup love doll at times.

If either of these guys have value, other teams have lots of scouts that would notice it and pick them up.

How the Sabres treated them tells us nothing. Again, there is plenty else to be upset about.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So? What’s Antipin done away from the Sabres?

I like Pilut. He makes some beautiful plays. He also gets tossed around like a blowup love doll at times.

If either of these guys have value, other teams have lots of scouts that would notice it and pick them up.

How the Sabres treated them tells us nothing. Again, there is plenty else to be upset about.

There's a reason why there are more incredibly stupid and indefensible mistakes (as in things that when they happen everyone exclaims "What in the hell are they thinking?") made in the NHL then every other major American pro sports league combined.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There's a reason why there are more incredibly stupid and indefensible mistakes (as in things that when they happen everyone exclaims "What in the hell are they thinking?") made in the NHL then every other major American pro sports league combined.

I agree. Antipin and Pilut aren’t that.

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I agree on Antipin but I really like Pilut and for as much as people think Botterill has “addressed” the D, he has blunders there and if Pilut doesn’t come back it’s another blunder. 

Even if it’s just the AHL he’s been exceptional there, it’s value lost. Antipin wasn’t adding anything. 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t see any possible way Pilut is top 4 on the Sabres next year.  

He was one of the only players who somehow mitigated Risto’s metrics so I hope this means we are trading Risto. 

I know it has nothing to do with that but one can dream. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I agree on Antipin but I really like Pilut and for as much as people think Botterill has “addressed” the D, he has blunders there and if Pilut doesn’t come back it’s another blunder. 

The thing with Antipin is that the season was effectively over before New Year's Day and the team was throwing out guy with no future or upside whatsoever and not even bothering to give him a shot. There was no reason whatsoever why he shouldn't have been given a decent look. And don't forget how he suffered a horrific injury at the hands of trashbag punk Hartnell which probably was the final nail in his NHL coffin.

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Risto is beyond bad. 

He’s really not.

I’m so ***** tired of Sabres fans saying this garbage when a solid player isn’t an all world player!

How many more really good players are we going to chase out of town because they aren’t all-star players?

Our team is who we deserve: Eichel and a bunch of 4th liners and AHLers.

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He’s really not.

I’m so ***** tired of Sabres fans saying this garbage when a solid player isn’t an all world player!

How many more really good players are we going to chase out of town because they aren’t all-star players?

Our team is who we deserve: Eichel and a bunch of 4th liners and AHLers.

Your rash generalizations are tiring. I really, really (I promise, really) that I just don’t like Risto as a player. No, I do not think he is solid. 

If you have a list of other players on this team I’ve said I want to jettison for being merely good I’d love to see it. And last I checked, management trades players, not the fans. 

Me having a different reading of him as a player doesn’t make my view “garbage”, FFSakes. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Your rash generalizations are tiring. I really, really (I promise, really) that I just don’t like Risto as a player. No, I do not think he is solid. 

If you have a list of other players on this team I’ve said I want to jettison for being merely good I’d love to see it. And last I checked, management trades players, not the fans. 

Scandella, ROR come to mind. Any of the countless solid Dmen that everyone wanted out. Um,... Reinhart?

Should I keep going?

Kane?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.