Official Lawrence Pilut Signs 2 Year Deal for the KHL

Brawndo

Oops! Artoo! Get us off Autopilut!

You did it, Artoo!

Edit: Good on Pilut for reading the signs. So many stockpiled D and he wasn't getting a look. 3rd pairing guy could've been a solid Woolley type maybe one day, and he could have taken over for Redmond as the guy in Rochester. But it could be much better to be somewhat closer to home particularly in the current climate. But there goes some of the depth.

Edited by DarthEbriate

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

No great loss.  Small good skating blue liner.  Plenty of those guys in the pipeline including Bryson and Johnson. 

Agreed. Didn’t have any issues with Larry, but he was a 6/7 depth player not likely to be more.

Never got the love some seemed to have for him.

And I don’t blame him for moving on given how the team has brought in Miller and Joki above him last summer and added Bryson, Fitzgerald and Samuelsson to Rochester, with Johnson and Laaksonen coming. It is a a blow to Rochester but he should be replaceable.

Edited by dudacek

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Agreed. Didn’t have any issues with Larry, but he was a 6/7 depth player not likely to be more.

Never got the love some seemed to have for him.

And I don’t blame him for moving on given how the team has brought in Miller and Joki above him last summer and added Bryson, Fitzgerald and Samuelsson to Rochester, with Johnson and Laaksonen coming. It is a a blow to Rochester but he should be replaceable.

Yeah - He basically gets replaced in AHL by Samuelsson.  I'm not sure where he fits in the top 6, he didn't really have a home.  In any case as a RFA he gets non-tendered so its a non-issue.  Leaves you risto, mccabe, dahlin, montour, miller, joki.  Considering risto's annually on the trade block - i'd think they look to add someone there to fill out the group.  I'm not sure who of the group would be considered the 7th defender, but they could use another left shot no?

20 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Yeah - He basically gets replaced in AHL by Samuelsson.  I'm not sure where he fits in the top 6, he didn't really have a home.  In any case as a RFA he gets non-tendered so its a non-issue.  Leaves you risto, mccabe, dahlin, montour, miller, joki.  Considering risto's annually on the trade block - i'd think they look to add someone there to fill out the group.  I'm not sure who of the group would be considered the 7th defender, but they could use another left shot no?

If Samuelsson fills Pilut's AHL shoes then he will become our best prospect. That would be an incredible development. 

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I love how this stuff leaks out and the Sabres response is always something like "we're not sure what's up" or "we didn't know this was a thing that could happen"

I'm sure its somewhat a nature of the current climate.  He's not in the building - they probably haven't prioritized discussions on RFAs with no word on salary cap.  Not saying its smart but not having him around makes it hard to understand where he's at.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seems like more bad asset management. Why not trade him? 

Agreed.  Getting nothing for a player who can probably contribute at the NHL level sucks.  

Edited by Drag0nDan

6 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm sure its somewhat a nature of the current climate.  He's not in the building - they probably haven't prioritized discussions on RFAs with no word on salary cap.  Not saying its smart but not having him around makes it hard to understand where he's at.

Agreed.  Getting nothing for a player who can probably contribute at the NHL level sucks.  

Him not being here has no effect on his agent talking with Botterill though. It's not like the players do their own negotiating. The Sabres should know what's going on with one of their RFAs, especially since they've been doing basically nothing for months.

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Seems to me there was a similar foreign language Tweet about Larsson last year.

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is ridiculous. And scary if true.

Also, if he is top four, it means the Sabres are trading at least one D and regret at least one of the Joki, Montour or Miller deals.

Oh, scratch that last sentence. This is Botterill.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, darksabre said:

Him not being here has no effect on his agent talking with Botterill though. It's not like the players do their own negotiating. The Sabres should know what's going on with one of their RFAs, especially since they've been doing basically nothing for months.

I mean - I assume its a negotiating tactic?  He's not happy bouncing between ahl and nhl, or his role, etc.  There isn't a ton of migration of NHL players to the KHL, so i assume its not something that is top of mind when thinking about your RFAs.  They just marked him down for a qualifying offer most likely. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Seems like more bad asset management. Why not trade him? 

Trade him to the KHL?  They can still make him his qualifying offer with or without this move and then they still retain his rights.  Then if he wants to come back to the NHL, but not here, then you can trade him.

Lol ridiculously bad asset management, that’s the story here. “No big loss”. Give me a break. Botterill held the roster ransom all year because we had “too many D”, refusing to make moves, and now he’s losing a potential top 6 D for nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Seems to me there was a similar foreign language Tweet about Larsson last year.

This is ridiculous. And scary if true.

Also, if he is top four, it means the Sabres are trading at least one D and regret at least one of the Joki, Montour or Miller deals.

Oh, scratch that last sentence. This is Botterill.

It’s maddening. They preach competition then verbally agree to award a top 4 spot 7 months in advance? Un-be-lievable 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.