OT - What do you call the stuff you put on your skin to prevent sunburns?

inkman

What do you call the stuff you put on your skin to prevent sun burns?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What you say?

• Sun screen
    • Sun block
    • SPF
    • Other

• nfreeman changed the title to OT - What do you call the stuff you put on your skin to prevent sunburns?
40 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

My wife will occasionally describe the SPF as "proof" like booze

Thats a good analogy actually.  Noone says they are going to the liquor store to buy proof.  You go to the liquor store to buy booze, which is rated by proof.

I think my first instinct would be to look for something to kick if someone told me they are getting a tube of SPF to apply.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Suntan lotion

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

That's a different thing.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Tanning butter (or tanning lotion). ?

Oh, wait, this isn't the '70's and people don't intentionally turn their skin into baseball mitts anymore.

Sun screen.  And agree with the above that calling it SPF is mildly moronic.

34 minutes ago, tom webster said:

That was my first thought

This:

1100-FRONT_1800x1800.webp

43 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I voted 'Other', because I don't use any of that junk.

Why would I risk all kinds of worse cancers from the sunscreen chemicals to prevent (maybe) skin cancer.

We need direct on the skin sunshine of 30 minutes a day to get natural vitamin D.  That's all I get.  I never burn.

What if you spend the day at a pool or body of water?  Or doing yardwork? Stupid question, do you have darker skin? 

46 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I voted 'Other', because I don't use any of that junk.

Why would I risk all kinds of worse cancers from the sunscreen chemicals to prevent (maybe) skin cancer.

We need direct on the skin sunshine of 30 minutes a day to get natural vitamin D.  That's all I get.  I never burn.

Oh yeah, well, it's sprinkling rain right now and I'm gonna go walk to dogs. I'll come back with a sunburn.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

What if you spend the day at a pool or body of water?  Or doing yardwork? Stupid question, do you have darker skin? 

Not particularly, but I tend to not burn easily.

I don't spend that much time in the direct sun.  If I am out at the beach, hike, or whatever for an extended period of time, I look for some shade for a lot of that time.

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Clothes.

They are optional in some places and at some times, you know.  Thank goodness, but it seems like it's old and dumpy men that follow these rules and not the buff hotties.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
I don't type English, or any other language, very goodly atol ...

I wear a long sleeved tee shirt and a golf hat.  I still wear shorts (just to give the ladies a show).  I really want to get one of those large hats but can't get the gumption to do so.  So my ears and legs are exposed.  But I don't go out much so I think I'm OK.  But being a white guy from WNY, I can get a sunburn from reading a Kindle (or a laptop).  That reminds me, I have to logoff now so I don't burn.

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I wear a long sleeved tee shirt and a golf hat.  I still wear shorts (just to give the ladies a show).  I really want to get one of those large hats but can't get the gumption to do so.  So my ears and legs are exposed.  But I don't go out much so I think I'm OK.  But being a white guy from WNY, I can get a sunburn from reading a Kindle (or a laptop).  That reminds me, I have to logoff now so I don't burn.

Yo! Yo! Yo!  WNY white guy here who tans like a fine piece of leather.  I have to work to get a burn around here.  When I was within 50 miles of the equator, it was a different story.  

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yo! Yo! Yo!  WNY white guy here who tans like a fine piece of leather.  I have to work to get a burn around here.  When I was within 50 miles of the equator, it was a different story.  

If I got to 50 miles from the equator, I'd have to change my user name to Tondas Bacon!

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.