Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Taro T

How does NHL shifting start of next season affect unsigned European players?

Recommended Posts

The thing that hasn't been discussed yet, but is especially important to teams like the Sabres with young guys that could be coming over from Finland or Sweden to at minimum learn the NA game in the AHL like Davidsson or Ruotsalainen or his teammate, is how will the NHL having a season essentially 1/2 way off from the E ju ro leagues going to effect their coming over here? 

Would they not sign with their Euro teams, hoping they earn a job out of training camp or would they forego NA entirely this upcoming season?

OR, might it work out that they play the whole Euro- league season & then sign after that playing the April/May portion of the season through (hopefully) the playoffs.  It's not that big of a deal to the older guys (Ristolainen, & even guys like Dahlin & Olofsson who are already over here).  And maybe this brings some KHL players into the NHL after that season ends as FAs?  

(Need to look at what the CBA says about guys coming in from overseas mid-season. Know it addresses it, but don't believe it considers the possibility of Euro leagues being done before the NHL is.)

This is a potentially HUGE issuel to the younger Euros.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Not your point, but Sexton seemed to be hinting Davidsson wont be signing (Sabres choice) and Laaksonen is unlikely.

Ruotsalainen, if memory serves, goes wherever the Sabres assign him this year. I get a sense they think he might be a Sabre.

Responded in the other thread, but it belongs here.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Responded in the other thread, but it belongs here.

Did Sexton say why Davidsson wouldn't be signed?  This is their last year to sign him upcoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did Sexton say why Davidsson wouldn't be signed?  This is their last year to sign him upcoming.

Trusting my memory here, but my impression was they didn’t like what happened this year and next year he gets a do-over to make up for it. Sexton alluded to injuries (looks like he missed about 20 games), but he had moved from a good team to a weaker one with the idea he would step up into a bigger top six role, but it didn’t happen.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Taro T said:

The thing that hasn't been discussed yet, but is especially important to teams like the Sabres with young guys that could be coming over from Finland or Sweden to at minimum learn the NA game in the AHL like Davidsson or Ruotsalainen or his teammate, is how will the NHL having a season essentially 1/2 way off from the E ju ro leagues going to effect their coming over here? 

Would they not sign with their Euro teams, hoping they earn a job out of training camp or would they forego NA entirely this upcoming season?

OR, might it work out that they play the whole Euro- league season & then sign after that playing the April/May portion of the season through (hopefully) the playoffs.  It's not that big of a deal to the older guys (Ristolainen, & even guys like Dahlin & Olofsson who are already over here).  And maybe this brings some KHL players into the NHL after that season ends as FAs?  

(Need to look at what the CBA says about guys coming in from overseas mid-season. Know it addresses it, but don't believe it considers the possibility of Euro leagues being done before the NHL is.)

This is a potentially HUGE issuel to the younger Euros.

Thoughts?

The older guys coming over mid-season would have to clear waivers, wouldn't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know that the Euro leagues are playing as usual or might they also be delayed?

Also, won't all this delay affect the guys drafted this year too? What about the 9 game try-outs. We'll have to wait to find out what the other leagues are doing with their schedules to determine these issues.

This might be an advantage to some. If CHL starts earlier maybe guys like Cozens can get some games in and be better prepared for NHL season. I don't know how all this would work though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Do we know that the Euro leagues are playing as usual or might they also be delayed?

Also, won't all this delay affect the guys drafted this year too? What about the 9 game try-outs. We'll have to wait to find out what the other leagues are doing with their schedules to determine these issues.

This might be an advantage to some. If CHL starts earlier maybe guys like Cozens can get some games in and be better prepared for NHL season. I don't know how all this would work though.

For the CHL I believe once you are assigned you can only return once your season ends or for an emergency call up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For the CHL I believe once you are assigned you can only return once your season ends or for an emergency call up. 

Correct.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The older guys coming over mid-season would have to clear waivers, wouldn't they?

Correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

For the CHL I believe once you are assigned you can only return once your season ends or for an emergency call up. 

I'm wondering if they make some sort of agreement because of the circumstances or, hold them out if they feel they might make the NHL club. 

Depending on what Jason does this off season, there could easily be an emergency, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm wondering if they make some sort of agreement because of the circumstances or, hold them out if they feel they might make the NHL club. 

Depending on what Jason does this off season, there could easily be an emergency, LOL.

Does the CBA allow for unforeseen circumstances such as COVID-19?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...