Botterill Returning Next Season- Kim Pegula

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Either Kim is talking about a genuinely good trade or set of moves that fixes our biggest problem(s), that is pretty much set to go, and we don't have to worry about Jason's continued tenure (though criticism of the first three years will always be warranted and necessary, he certainly has a chance to earn future security and gratitude with a good offseason, which is all we've wanted in each of his first 3 disastrous tries)

Or this whole thing is as stupid as her quote sounds in any other context, and it wouldn't matter if they fired him or not because we're doomed either way as long as they own the team.

So really, it's just time to sit and watch and see what our team's long-term outlook really is. One way or another, it'll be a relief to grasp the reality that is finally ready to settle in and become firmly clear.

They can luck into a good hire. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Think about how many words the loyal visitors and frequenters of this site will type over the course of 9 long, hockey-less months, even after 9 (playoff)hockey-less years. Endlessly, loyally typing words into internet abyss. 

I honestly just hope the people with sway in the organization match that energy, over that same 9 month time-frame. 

Not wishing to speak for anyone else, but at this point I'm just here for the Clash-related banter with @New Scotland (NS) and whatever other message board fellowship may be obtained.  The actual hockey seems, all things considered, a relic of the world in the long distant (Three months ago but it feels like forever) past which may be best left there, all things considered.  

I'm almost terrified of what fresh hell PSE can come up with next, given all sorts of time to work feverishly (pun sort of intended but it might be too soon, so sorry) toward, er, actually as far away from as fast as possible, their goal.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the right decision as the overall organization is better now then when he got here. The Amerks are much much better.  The pipeline is deeper with legit NHL prospects.  The Sabres are still a work in progress.  The defense is much improved.  However, I agree with the critics that the middle six of the forward group needs significant improvement, which IMHO will come mostly from within.

That said, Jbot still needs to get a 2C if he wants to save his job beyond next season.

at least you're consistent

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Either Kim is talking about a genuinely good trade or set of moves that fixes our biggest problem(s), that is pretty much set to go, and we don't have to worry about Jason's continued tenure (though criticism of the first three years will always be warranted and necessary, he certainly has a chance to earn future security and gratitude with a good offseason, which is all we've wanted in each of his first 3 disastrous tries)

Or this whole thing is as stupid as her quote sounds in any other context, and it wouldn't matter if they fired him or not because we're doomed either way as long as they own the team.

So really, it's just time to sit and watch and see what our team's long-term outlook really is. One way or another, it'll be a relief to grasp the reality that is finally ready to settle in and become firmly clear.

She could also be referring to TP influencing/demanding that Howie be the 1st coach, or that ROR be traded, or many other "meddling"-type moves that have been speculated about here many times.

And as @Thorny points out, there's no reason to think the long-term prospects of the team will be made clear this year.  If the team stinks again, JB will be fired, and, as before, everything will hinge on whether they find the right guy next time.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If I had to guess, she has noticed what a fine young man Jason is and how he treats people well and has put in place a positive, forward-leaning work culture that enables a multi-generational, multi-cultural ethos of human capital efficiency.

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

She could also be referring to TP influencing/demanding that Howie be the 1st coach, or that ROR be traded, or many other "meddling"-type moves that have been speculated about here many times.

And as @Thorny points out, there's no reason to think the long-term prospects of the team will be made clear this year.  If the team stinks again, JB will be fired, and, as before, everything will hinge on whether they find the right guy next time.

I don't think it's this. But, hey, look, meddling! It's in quotes, but I'll take it. Baby steps.

Also — I honestly don't believe there was any snark in Kim's fan comment. But she should be smart enough to not say it. And she's not. These are not smart hockey owners!!!!!! Maybe somehow they gain intelligence and moxie when they travel out of the city to OP. I don't really care what they do with the Bills. Please sell the Sabres.

HAM!

HANDS!

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm picture Terry trying to Horse Whisperer a horse by offering it money.

He'd get the antithesis of Bob Baffert to train it all the while Bob is offering his services. He'd then make Santa Anita it's home grounds because he hears it's nice!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Also — I honestly don't believe there was any snark in Kim's fan comment. But she should be smart enough to not say it. And she's not. These are not smart hockey owners!!!!!! Maybe somehow they gain intelligence and moxie when they travel out of the city to OP. I don't really care what they do with the Bills. Please sell the Sabres.

HAM!

HANDS!

I wonder if Jim Balsillie is still interested?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Well, I guess we wait and see what trades Botts cooks up.

Do you dump mittelstadt or Thompson when their value is in the toilet?  Maybe move risto?  

Still stuck with miller hutton and okposo.  Would love to LTIR or bury them - but in a market where they don't want to go over the cap, they're all going to be here.  

I wouldn't chase top tier free agents, and focus on adding line 2-3 depth.  I'd love to add a top tier center to play on line 2, i just don't see anyone interested in coming here after issues with like.. every player brought in here.  I'd also like to see a bit more jam in 4th liner to go with Okposo and lazar.  

At the end of the day - does thompson stick as a line 3 winger?   Where does Kahun fit?  Which RFAs are brought back? Where does mittelstadt end up?  Can they afford to bring hutton back after this trainwreck season?

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

Anyone can find anything on the internet if they know what they're doing. 

I really wish GoDD was here. He'd probably just guess it lol 

Please be Yngwie Malmsteen

Please be Yngwie Malmsteen

Please be Yngwie Malmsteen...

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This was my thinking as well. And if so,... just, ugh.

13 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Do you dump mittelstadt or Thompson when their value is in the toilet?  Maybe move risto?  

Still stuck with miller hutton and okposo.  Would love to LTIR or bury them - but in a market where they don't want to go over the cap, they're all going to be here.  

I wouldn't chase top tier free agents, and focus on adding line 2-3 depth.  I'd love to add a top tier center to play on line 2, i just don't see anyone interested in coming here after issues with like.. every player brought in here.  I'd also like to see a bit more jam in 4th liner to go with Okposo and lazar.  

At the end of the day - does thompson stick as a line 3 winger?   Where does Kahun fit?  Which RFAs are brought back? Where does mittelstadt end up?  Can they afford to bring hutton back after this trainwreck season?

Are you talking about Collin Miller? He was actually one of our better defenders once they stopped jerking him around last season. 

So you are not signing Larsson? You say 4th line of Okposo and Lazar. 

Kahun fits at wing. 2nd line preferably. On offense all the RFAS should be brought back. Idk what they will do with Pilut and Montour on defense.

They can afford to bring Hutton back but idk if they should. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Are you talking about Collin Miller? He was actually one of our better defenders once they stopped jerking him around last season. 

So you are not signing Larsson? You say 4th line of Okposo and Lazar. 

Kahun fits at wing. 2nd line preferably. On offense all the RFAS should be brought back. Idk what they will do with Pilut and Montour on defense.

They can afford to bring Hutton back but idk if they should. 

Miller makes almost 4 million a year and had 11 points and 1 goal.  He was a healthy scratch quite a few times last year even with Bogo on LTIR.  He's here regardless.

Larsson is a UFA, you can't force him to stay.  If you're squeezing pennies do you pay him?  Do you want him for more than a year?  

Kahun on line 2 pushes mojo to line 3 - i don't hate it but it definitely requires someone either via trade or FA to center that line with oloffson.  

Huttons back anyway - they wont stash him or buy him out since it costs more. 

38 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

This organization is just so pathetic on so many levels. I don't even know where to begin, nor the energy to even want to try. I hope they lose their first 10 games in a row to show what a horrible mistake this is.....

This raises an interesting (IMHO) question:  how badly would the Sabres have to start next season for TP to pull the trigger?

Darcy was fired in 2013 after 20 games (in which the Sabres were 4-15-1).

I think it's pretty clear TP doesn't want to fire JB, and I think the main reason is that he wants the organization to be perceived as stable and professional.  But if they get off to a terrible start, and the arena is empty, and whoever is there is booing -- it could easily happen again.

And at that point, TP will richly deserve to be criticized for not having pulled the trigger now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.