Botterill Returning Next Season- Kim Pegula

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This, and there’s no Eichel among the team’s official post season interview slate. Just McCabe, Okposo, Olofsson (sp?), and Dahlin.

It feels like it’s somehow gonna get worse.

I learned some new things today about some old stuff, and let me tell you what, I believe this more than ever. 

There is no limit to the incompetence with the Pegulas. They are in over their heads with the Sabres and I don't think they're going to be able to fix it. They'll sell the team before they get it right. It's too hard compared to the NFL, and not nearly as glamorous. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I learned some new things today about some old stuff, and let me tell you what, I believe this more than ever. 

There is no limit to the incompetence with the Pegulas. They are in over their heads with the Sabres and I don't think they're going to be able to fix it. They'll sell the team before they get it right. It's too hard compared to the NFL, and not nearly as glamorous. 

But, yet, easier to make the playoffs. Which, at this stage, is all we are asking for. 

Seriously, it merely requires non-Botterill-like ineptitude. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the right decision as the overall organization is better now then when he got here. The Amerks are much much better.  The pipeline is deeper with legit NHL prospects.  The Sabres are still a work in progress.  The defense is much improved.  However, I agree with the critics that the middle six of the forward group needs significant improvement, which IMHO will come mostly from within.

That said, Jbot still needs to get a 2C if he wants to save his job beyond next season.

The Amerks are better thanks to the many life time AHL players they have.  

Now that Olofsson is out of the pipeline who are the forwards down in Rochester that will help strengthen the middle 6?   Mitts?  Doubt it.  Tage? Doubt it.  

Cozens?   Sure if they want to rush him and possibly harm his development.  

The defense is improved until we trade a few of them for forwards that can help now.  Then they are just one injury away from being thin.  

Adding another NHL goalie is a must too. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol.  
Since Jbot took over the Amerks have been in a playoff spot all three seasons including this one after not making the playoffs for a decade. Who cares that Dea only had 39 pts.  This coming season will also be the first season in which a significant number of Jbot’s draftees will be in Roch instead of the crap TM left behind.

Its also not a real argument that he hasn’t exceeded TM best team’s pts.  They were on pace for 80-81 pts this season and the metrics for GA vs the rest of the NHL are vastly over his 3 seasons and I think everyone would agree they would rather the current group then TM’s Kulikov, Franson and Gorges. 

I admire your optimism and respect your hockey knowledge.

But your repeated fallback to “better than Murray” as a defence of  Botterill is tired and irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Please share.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I admire your optimism and respect your hockey knowledge.

But your repeated fallback to “better than Murray” as a defence of  Botterill is tired and irrelevant.

Please share.

Boy do I wish I could. 

Hopefully it leaks someday and I'll be able to say something. 

But let's just say that the Pegulas have no problem letting other people take the blame for their mistakes. 

Botterill is only partially to blame. The Pegulas are the true culprit here. Nepotism, disorganization, and idiocy surround the Sabres.

It's like Botterill is trying to build one of those stilt-base beach houses, but the stilts are made of the rotting wood that is Pegula Sports and Entertainment. The organization is rotten to the core.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Besides Pekar, Mitts, Routsalainen (Undrafted FA), and probably Davidsson and Weissbach.

Sexton said it’s undecided if Pekar will be in Roch. It’s possible he will go back to the OHL for an overage year. He also seems to be saying that it wasn’t the Sabres preference that he went to the OHL.

And we were just talking in the other thread about this, but He also indicated Davidsson is also expected to stay in Sweden this year.

So if Mitts makes the Sabres, it could quite easily be none.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Besides Pekar, Mitts, Routsalainen (Undrafted FA), and probably Davidsson and Weissbach.

Wow... what a murderers row of forward talent 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sexton said it’s undecided if Pekar will be in Roch. It’s possible he will go back to the OHL for an overage year. He also seems to be saying that it wasn’t the Sabres preference that he went to the OHL.

And we were just talking in the other thread about this, but He also indicated Davidsson is also expected to stay in Sweden this year.

So if Mitts makes the Sabres, it could quite easily be none.

... and yet GA keeps claiming we have a deep prospect pool. At forward, we don't. 

For those that haven’t seen Kim’s comments:

He’s our GM. Our plan is to continue with him,” Pegula said in a Zoom interview.

“I realize, maybe it’s not popular with the fans, but we have to do the things that we feel are right,” she said. “We have a little bit more information than maybe a fan does, some inner workings that we see some positives in.”

That doesn’t mean the Pegulas are satisfied, given the Sabres finished 13th in the Eastern Conference and couldn’t even qualify for the NHL’s expanded playoff format featuring the top 12 teams in each conference. The Sabres’ playoff drought is the league’s longest active streak.

“Believe me, I don’t think anyone knows the frustrations more than Terry and I do,” Pegula said. “Coach and Jason know they’ve got to show not only us, but they’ve got to show it to the fans. And they know that. They understand that.”

The Sabres' off-season officially began with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman announcing the league was going forward with the expanded playoff format. With a 30-31-8 record, Buffalo missed out on qualifying by the slimmest of margins: Montreal clinched the East's final berth with 71 points in 71 games (.500), just ahead of Buffalo, which had 68 points in 69 games (.493).

The order could have been switched had the season not been postponed March 12, when the Sabres were in Montreal preparing to play the Canadiens.

Pegula backed the NHL’s playoff format, even though it cost the Sabres.

“Listen, we should’ve won another game or two back in the day. We didn’t. So that’s no fault of any other club. That’s on us,” she said. “Although I don’t like the way it concluded, but it’s the best thing for the league to conclude the season.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Boy do I wish I could. 

Hopefully it leaks someday and I'll be able to say something. 

But let's just say that the Pegulas have no problem letting other people take the blame for their mistakes. 

You are an anonymous person who doesn’t need to say where you heard it from.  Don’t tease us like this!!!

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

The coach and gm have different game plans for the roster. Something’s gotta give. 

I don't understand how Botterill could give an 8 year, 9 million dollar per year contract to a late-20's winger without first making sure he and his newly chosen coach were on the same page with regards to said player. It boggles the mind and is one of Botterill's more blatantly fireable offenses. 

1 hour ago, NAF said:

Botterill is only partially to blame. The Pegulas are the true culprit here. Nepotism, disorganization, and idiocy surround the Sabres.

It's like Botterill is trying to build one of those stilt-base beach houses, but the stilts are made of the rotting wood that Botterill went out and aquired. The organization is rotten to the core.

FTFY.

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Great to see Harrington’s tone in midseason form.

There are 4 player interviews on day one of the offseason, following JBOT’s presser. McCabe and Okposo are that high in the batting order because they wear or wore a letter. The letter “A”. Not having the captain on day one is, at best, a terrible look. At best.

Olofsson and Dahlin are there as the bright new shiny toys. [Oh look, a chicken!]

Think about how many words the loyal visitors and frequenters of this site will type over the course of 9 long, hockey-less months, even after 9 (playoff)hockey-less years. Endlessly, loyally typing words into internet abyss. 

I honestly just hope the people with sway in the organization match that energy, over that same 9 month time-frame. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I am decidedly not anonymous lol 

I don't know how, but I know your first AND last name. No clue where it came from. Would never share. But you're right that you're not anonymous hahaha

That being said it killlllllllllls me to not have this tantalizing piece of information. (No pressure to share, just enjoy the power you wield) 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I don't know how, but I know your first AND last name. No clue where it came from. Would never share. But you're right that you're not anonymous hahaha

That being said it killlllllllllls me to not have this tantalizing piece of information. (No pressure to share, just enjoy the power you wield) 

Anyone can find anything on the internet if they know what they're doing. 

I really wish GoDD was here. He'd probably just guess it lol 

Either Kim is talking about a genuinely good trade or set of moves that fixes our biggest problem(s), that is pretty much set to go, and we don't have to worry about Jason's continued tenure (though criticism of the first three years will always be warranted and necessary, he certainly has a chance to earn future security and gratitude with a good offseason, which is all we've wanted in each of his first 3 disastrous tries)

Or this whole thing is as stupid as her quote sounds in any other context, and it wouldn't matter if they fired him or not because we're doomed either way as long as they own the team.

So really, it's just time to sit and watch and see what our team's long-term outlook really is. One way or another, it'll be a relief to grasp the reality that is finally ready to settle in and become firmly clear.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.