Sign in to follow this  
dudacek

Targeting a 2C

12 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I realize that many may not believe me, and thats fine. I heard from a somewhat connected source that the Sabres were in talks with Calgary for a deal that would send Risto and Larsson for Monahan and Bennet. Jbotts was trying to get it down to just Risto for Monahan. Fwiw, I also heard there were talks of Mccabe and Larsson for Trochek about a week before the Trochek rumors started flying. I was asked to keep it hushed before the deadline.

The McCabe and Larsson offer was the offer Buffalo thought was better then what Florida got. Have heard the Monahan rumored interest but never with Larsson and Bennet.

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I get the sense there may have been draft picks involved based on those trade proposals. 

There were no picks involved in the Florida/ Buffalo offer. 

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I realize that many may not believe me, and thats fine. I heard from a somewhat connected source that the Sabres were in talks with Calgary for a deal that would send Risto and Larsson for Monahan and Bennet. Jbotts was trying to get it down to just Risto for Monahan. Fwiw, I also heard there were talks of Mccabe and Larsson for Trochek about a week before the Trochek rumors started flying. I was asked to keep it hushed before the deadline.

If this is true, it's another firing offense for JB.  If Calgary was ready to go on that alleged deal, JB should've accepted immediately. 

IMHO -- and I say this not to express skepticism on your source -- by all means, please keep posting this kind of thing if you think it's credible -- it sounds way too Sabres-friendly to have been real.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

The McCabe and Larsson offer was the offer Buffalo thought was better then what Florida got. Have heard the Monahan rumored interest but never with Larsson and Bennet.

Here, too, JB should've sweetened the offer to get the deal closed.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a fan of what Larsson brings, but I’d have to think most GMs would prefer Haula. McCabe, meanwhile, is probably worth more to most than Wallmark. But really, overall the packages are close.

So I can see that offer being in the running with the successful offer.

But like Freeman says, I’d pay more than that for Trochek. So if the Sabres lost out for not being able to beat the two middling prospects Carolina added to the deal, then shame on Jason.

As far as the Calgary offer goes, I’m all over that, so it is hard to believe it was Jason, not Treliving who said no.
What mildly moves the needle is that if this is true, it keeps alive the possibility that Risto actually could be the piece that nets us a real 2C. If that is the case, then I think back to his comment about some deals taking a year or more to unfold and I understand why Jason keeps hanging on to that card.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m a fan of what Larsson brings, but I’d have to think most GMs would prefer Haula. McCabe, meanwhile, is probably worth more to most than Wallmark. But really, overall the packages are close.

So I can see that offer being in the running with the successful offer.

But like Freeman says, I’d pay more than that for Trochek. So if the Sabres lost out for not being able to beat the two middling prospects Carolina added to the deal, then shame on Jason.

As far as the Calgary offer goes, I’m all over that, so it is hard to believe it was Jason, not Treliving who said no.
What mildly moves the needle is that if this is true, it keeps alive the possibility that Risto actually could be the piece that nets us a real 2C. If that is the case, then I think back to his comment about some deals taking a year or more to unfold and I understand why Jason keeps hanging on to that card.

Absolutely makes sense.  And goes back to my expectation that Ristolainen ends up traded this off-season - he seems to have more value than the other 2 D-men that might realistically be part of an outgoing package.  (Risto, Montour, & McCabe are the 3 vets that most likely will be outgoing IMHO.)