24 Team NHL Playoff Structure approved by NHLPA. Sabres are left out

dejeanneret

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Can I get the crib notes? When would a Cup be awarded in this scenario and when would next season begin (and end)?

Supposedly it would be akin to

Early through Mid June: Tune up camp 

Late June/Early July: Start playoffs

Supposedly they want at most 60 days to pass before the Cup is handed out

July & August would be the playoffs

September would have the draft

October Free Agency/Rest 

November Training Camp/Preseason

December 2020-2021 starts with a condensed timeline but full 82 game season.

44 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

@thewookie1 posted up a couple posts of a possible timeline of events. Not sure where info came from but.... September-ish for lottery?

It was from some report on Twitter, I can't remember though if it was the NBA's plus Bettman's desire for the 60 day thing just combining in my brain.

I'd guess the lottery will happen during the Seeding Round

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Supposedly it would be akin to

Early through Mid June: Tune up camp 

I’d be shocked if they could get a mini training camp in place in the next 2-3 weeks. There is no formal agreement in place, and players are scattered around the world. 

I’m beating a dead horse, but just put this season to rest, and hope for the best come September. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’d be shocked if they could get a mini training camp in place in the next 2-3 weeks. There is no formal agreement in place, and players are scattered around the world. 

I’m beating a dead horse, but just put this season to rest, and hope for the best come September. 

They can't afford to break the network contract -- network make most of their money is from the playoffs and not finishing the season would abrogate all of them.  In particular, Rogers would love to renegotiate because they are losing so much money on the deal.

The schedule that @thewookie1 gave is the one I heard about too.

3 things...

- I was wrong.  I 100% believed that Bettman would wait to see what the NBA plan is, and then just follow their lead.

- BS on the draft lottery. You are either in the lottery or the playoffs. You shouldn’t be part of both. 

- Buffalo not even in the 10 finalists as a hub tournament city.  Is the Pegula’s star fading as a result of their incompetence as owners?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

3 things...

- I was wrong.  I 100% believed that Bettman would wait to see what the NBA plan is, and then just follow their lead.

- BS on the draft lottery. You are either in the lottery or the playoffs. You shouldn’t be part of both. 

- Buffalo not even in the 10 finalists as a hub tournament city.  Is the Pegula’s star fading as a result of their incompetence as owners?

Maybe, but all of NYS essentially was written off at the start.

I don't understand the inclusion of LA: Governor Newsom said no large gatherings until 2021.

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

3 things...

My guess as to Buffalo not making it to finalist as a hub city is due to uncertainty that NYS will let Buffalo be "open" to a gathering that large by the time the training camps are supposed to open.  (Thought Bettman said the training camps would be in the 2 hub cities.)  That would be early July (and even if training camps aren't early July, not likely that full on games can be played in NYS before August 1.

The only city that has a "major"-ish Covid problem on the list of 10 is Chicago.  (LA seems determined to stay locked down too, so it might actually be an 8-9 city list.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The season is ruined but this plan to restart it soon will possibly ruin next season as well.  

Leave it to the NHL 

The thing that hasn't been discussed yet, but is especially important to teams like the Sabres with young guys that could be coming over from Finland or Sweden to at minimum learn the NA game in the AHL like Davidsson or Ruotsalainen or his teammate, is how will the NHL having a season essentially 1/2 way off from the E ju ro leagues going to effect their coming over here? 

Would they not sign with their Euro teams, hoping they earn a job out of training camp or would they forego NA entirely this upcoming season?

OR, might it work out that they play the whole Euro- league season & then sign after that playing the April/May portion of the season through (hopefully) the playoffs.  It's not that big of a deal to the older guys (Ristolainen, & even guys like Dahlin & Olofsson who are already over here).  And maybe this brings some KHL players into the NHL after that season ends as FAs?  

(Need to look at what the CBA says about guys coming in from overseas mid-season. Know it addresses it, but don't believe it considers the possibility of Euro leagues being done before the NHL is.)

This is a potentially HUGE issuel to the younger Euros.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The thing that hasn't been discussed yet, but is especially important to teams like the Sabres with young guys that could be coming over from Finland or Sweden to at minimum learn the NA game in the AHL like Davidsson or Ruotsalainen or his teammate, is how will the NHL having a season essentially 1/2 way off from the E ju ro leagues going to effect their coming over here? 

Would they not sign with their Euro teams, hoping they earn a job out of training camp or would they forego NA entirely this upcoming season?

OR, might it work out that they play the whole Euro- league season & then sign after that playing the April/May portion of the season through (hopefully) the playoffs.  It's not that big of a deal to the older guys (Ristolainen, & even guys like Dahlin & Olofsson who are already over here).  And maybe this brings some KHL players into the NHL after that season ends as FAs?  

(Need to look at what the CBA says about guys coming in from overseas mid-season. Know it addresses it, but don't believe it considers the possibility of Euro leagues being done before the NHL is.)

This is a potentially HUGE issuel to the younger Euros.

Not your point, but Sexton seemed to be hinting Davidsson wont be signing and Laaksonen is unlikely.

Ruotsalainen, if memory serves, goes wherever the Sabres assign him this year. I get a sense they think he might be a Sabre.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The season is ruined but this plan to restart it soon will possibly ruin next season as well.  

Leave it to the NHL 

This 100%.  This plan to play hockey into July, August and even September is going to ruin two seasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.