Rasmus Dahlin at 20

dudacek

I think the coming season will see a quantum leap forward for our 19-year-old.

It won’t necessarily be the year where he buries his previous point totals, although that will be possible.

It will be the year where he steps out of a sheltered role and into the role of a number one defenceman, where he will make highlight reel plays in tough situations and be the difference between winning and losing.

I don’t see him completely shaking off the mistakes, but I do see them being fewer and farther between, and I see the physical disadvantages that coloured his career so far falling back as he takes a step, not only physically, but also in terms of being a man, and wanting the be THE MAN. 

He will make a difference and will give us something to rally behind, like Orr and Karlsson. Despite the other issues with this team, it gives me hope.

What are your expectations in year three for Rasmus?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think the coming season will see a quantum leap forward for our 19-year-old.

It won’t necessarily be the year where he buries his previous point totals, although that will be possible.

It will be the year where he steps out of a sheltered role and into the role of a number one defenceman, where he will make highlight reel plays in tough situations and be the difference between winning and losing.

I don’t see him completely shaking off the mistakes, but I do see them being fewer and farther between, and I see the physical disadvantages that coloured his career so far falling back as he takes a step, not only physically, but also in terms of being a man, and wanting the be THE MAN. 

He will make a difference and will give us something to rally behind, like Orr and Karlsson. Despite the other issues with this team, it gives me hope.

What are your expectations in year three for Rasmus?

I agree completely. I think if we also get decent improvement from Joki, Kahun gets comfortable, and Skinner bounces back, it's enough to make them a playoff team regardless of what's done at 2C. 

I agree, I’m really excited for his development. There are people saying he’s our best trade asset, and that we should maximize that value now. I see a future pillar. 

I’m very intrigued by the concept of an Eichel at forward and an Eichel on defence. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Really depends on who the defensive coach is and the powerplay coach is. I currently view Dahlin as playing with a weighted vest because of the restrictions placed about him by the boring style of play the defense has been asked to play. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have none. What's the point? It's not based on anything except several "I see"s and a "won't necessarily" and a "possible" and "hope" and assumptions about Rasmus' mindset and physical preparation.

Why not wait and see? 1. You won't be disappointed. 2. More importantly, the bane of this board, there won't be a baked-in narrative you have to defend in the face of evidence otherwise.

Rasmus Dahlin: who the hell knows? Ask for it by name.

• Like (+1) 1

i just read an article about how Ralph has been good for Risto.  Prior to that I read one about how Ralph has been bad for Dahlin's offensive production.

Don't know.  I like coaches that get the most out of ALL their players and adapt to the team they have rather than force a "system" on them. 

Year 3 could be the breakout year for him.  I am waiting for the day he becomes a game changing superstar.    We saw that happen to Eichel this past season. 

Makes perfect sense why Risto would look better under Ralph and Dahlin not so much. Ralph has his forward on the half wall to leg the puck out of the zone. Risto loves to rim the puck around, so it works. Dahlin's naturally tendency is to skate out but he was being asked to pass to the forwards which explains some of his zone confusion. It was not a naturally reaction for him. They seemed to have let him carry more as the year progressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Makes perfect sense why Risto would look better under Ralph and Dahlin not so much. Ralph has his forward on the half wall to leg the puck out of the zone. Risto loves to rim the puck around, so it works. Dahlin's naturally tendency is to skate out but he was being asked to pass to the forwards which explains some of his zone confusion. It was not a naturally reaction for him. They seemed to have let him carry more as the year progressed. 

The bold is half true (meaning, if the forward is Jack, or Mojo) but usually the half-wall guy is also generally expected to pass rather than carry.

I don’t recall seeing Dahlin (or really our defence in general) doing much rimming. It seemed to me that Ralph wants his D to make a quick, but thoughtful heads-up first pass if they get control deep in our zone, with the forwards having specific areas they are supposed to break to.

I mostly like this strategy because guys like Joki and young Ras are very good at it, and can skip the half-wall and hit the streaking forward through the neutral zone if given time. But one of our problems is that our wingers, other than Reinhart, aren’t great at being the relay guy to that streaking forward when that’s the best option. Kahun shows promise here.

Montour Miller and both Rasmi will carry it out at times, and the all are quite good at it. But that seems to be the second option, because a pass is quicker (and safer with good passers) and why not have Eichel and Johansson wheeling through the neutral zone with the puck whenever you can?

Where I think Risto improved was how he has cut down on hanging on to the puck too long when he gets it low in our zone, then forcing it into bad areas because he lacked the support or the skill to make a safe pass. Part of that is having his partners handling the puck more, part of it is what he’s being told by his coaches, and part of it (the biggest part, IMO) is trusting his coaches and his teammates know what they are doing and will be there to support him

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Really depends on who the defensive coach is and the powerplay coach is. I currently view Dahlin as playing with a weighted vest because of the restrictions placed about him by the boring style of play the defense has been asked to play. 

But if that’s the price we have to pay to minimize the damage Ristolainen is able to do, it’s the right call. Hail Krueger. 

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

But if that’s the price we have to pay to minimize the damage Ristolainen is able to do, it’s the right call. Hail Krueger. 

IMHO, that would be a reason to trade Ristolainen.

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't make your 2018 Maserati GranTurismo tow your 1968 Ford Pinto

Brings a new meaning to, "unsafe at any speed."

On 5/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, Hank said:

I agree completely. I think if we also get decent improvement from Joki, Kahun gets comfortable, and Skinner bounces back, it's enough to make them a playoff team regardless of what's done at 2C. 

Holy optimistic outlook, Batman.

This team is so far out of the playoff picture, it's comical at this point...they are going nowhere with Botterill and Krueger as their top duo.

42 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Holy optimistic outlook, Batman.

This team is so far out of the playoff picture, it's comical at this point...they are going nowhere with Botterill and Krueger as their top duo.

I don't feel the same way.

I know I'm not taking a stand, but next year (in a full season), I could see them finishing with 80 points and getting everyone fired, or I could also see them with 100 points and in the playoffs pretty easily.  For years, many lamented not having those big time star players. If, IF, Dahlin continues to develop into a top-10 NHL D-man, Eichel gives you top 10 points and you get 80+ goals from Reinhart, Skinner, and Olofson......then you just need some 'luck' with the middle 6 and you could be there.

I'm not saying they WILL be there, but I can see it as a possibility....while they may finish 25th in the league again, I don't think they are doomed to that.

Dahlin could be a Norris candidate next year but if they don't fix the goaltending (Hutton) they won't be a playoff team. 

The other major concern is the Sabres I think were 30th in offensive shot generation (I might be wrong but it is something like that) and Botterill has shown a consistent desire to add low impact offensive to the team... see Frolic and Simmonds for the latest examples. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin could be a Norris candidate next year but if they don't fix the goaltending (Hutton) they won't be a playoff team. 

The other major concern is the Sabres I think were 30th in offensive shot generation (I might be wrong but it is something like that) and Botterill has shown a consistent desire to add low impact offensive to the team... see Frolic and Simmonds for the latest examples. 

Unless Botterill finds a 2C, the Sabres best hope for improvement is significant growth from Ullmark, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Cozens, Kahun, Thompson and Jokiharju, in roughly that order, plus a rebound year from Skinner.

As for shot generation, I’ve read enough to be convinced that’s largely by design: Ralph favours quality over quantity when it comes shooting. It’s one of the biggest philosophical shifts from Housley, who preached the more shots, the better.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Unless Botterill finds a 2C, the Sabres best hope for improvement is significant growth from Ullmark, Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Cozens, Kahun, Thompson and Jokiharju, in roughly that order, plus a rebound year from Skinner.

As for shot generation, I’ve read enough to be convinced that’s largely by design: Ralph favours quality over quantity when it comes shooting. It’s one of the biggest philosophical shifts from Housley, who preached the more shots, the better.

Except the Sabres aren't great at generating quality chances. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Another interesting piece in the Athletic.

Craig Custance tapped 10 real NHL executives for a fantasy draft featuring the past 10 first overall picks, plus Lafrenière.

Anybody wanna guess where Rasmus went?

https://theathletic.com/1883264/2020/06/25/the-no-1-pick-draft-nhl-execs-reveal-how-alexis-lafreniere-stacks-up/

Here's the money quote from the guy who picked him.

“It’s close. Given the fact that Dahlin is a No. 1 D, I would take that over the winger. Take Dahlin off Buffalo and put him in Colorado, and he’s a completely different player. You can’t replace that 30 minute a night D.”

• Like (+1) 1

I really enjoy watching Dahlin.  I played high level hockey for years and I never tried, let alone executed, the crazy stuff he pulls off every game with ease.  He's only going to get better.   He's one gifted SOB!

Another interesting piece in the Athletic.

Craig Custance tapped 10 real NHL executives for a fantasy draft featuring the past 10 first overall picks, plus Lafrenière.

Anybody wanna guess where Rasmus went?

https://theathletic.com/1883264/2020/06/25/the-no-1-pick-draft-nhl-execs-reveal-how-alexis-lafreniere-stacks-up/

Can you give us a hint?

Edited by Curt

I always hear the hedman comparisons, then when we play TB all i think is - wow that guy is just... good. He always seems to be making the right plays, great skater, tape to tape passing, and just takes the puck away consistently.  Dahlin's improved as the PP quarterback but hedmans on another level at getting your shooters the puck, in space, in the right place for a one-timer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.