Sabres signing Olofsson's brother Jesper

nfreeman

https://hockeysverige.se/2020/05/18/lamnade-farjestad-ryktas-till-nhl

Google translate version: 

Ö-vik looks to deliver another NHL player.

Jesper Olofsson, with Modo as the parent club, made a success during his two seasons in Färjestad and scored a total of 34 goals over both years.

After this year's season, however, he left Färjestad and after that it has been quiet about the future of the star.

Now, however, he himself confirms that he is ready for a new club and according to Värmland's Folkblad it will be Buffalo Sabers next for Olofsson, where little brother Victor Olofsson plays now.

- Yes, I actually signed a contract last week. I can't say with which club, but it's a foreign club and it should become official pretty soon, "the 28-year-old tells VF and continues:
- Then it's probably a little unclear as for everyone in the situation right now. When the new season can start and so on.

Jesper Olofsson has only done one season abroad, in Denmark 2012/13, otherwise he has spent his entire career in Sweden with over 250 SHL matches for Modo, Karlskrona, Skellefteå and Färjestad.

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

?

He is 28. Not sure how he helps us.

I never understand the angst that these signings cause. It’s like taking a flyer in an undrafted free agent. They are well below the contract limit so what’s the harm? Yuri Hymilev(six?) didn’t sign till he was 27. Sometimes you get lucky.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I never understand the angst that these signings cause. It’s like taking a flyer in an undrafted free agent. They are well below the contract limit so what’s the harm? Yuri Hymilev(six?) didn’t sign till he was 27. Sometimes you get lucky.

I have no problem with the signing, just not sure what he brings. I’m always ok with bringing in depth and forcing guys to wins jobs. I’d like to see us sign Routsalainen’s teammate.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Khymlev was on the Russian Canada Cup team before Buffalo signed him.  He was a highly accomplished player in Russia, basically on an all star team in world competition, much more accomplished than Olofsson's brother.  There was no luck associated with signing Khymlev.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Nepotism.

We know how this ends.  Victor crashes his car into a Paula's Donuts and Jesper will hound Mittlestadt into early retirement by making him carry Jesper's bags and stealing his meal per diems.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Weave said:

Khymlev was on the Russian Canada Cup team before Buffalo signed him.  He was a highly accomplished player in Russia, basically on an all star team in world competition, much more accomplished than Olofsson's brother.  There was no luck associated with signing Khymlev.

You mis understood. I wasn’t saying Khymlev was luck, just mentioned him as a player who came to the NHL late. 

So he’s 28, and, depending on whether you believe elite prospects or Wikipedia, either 5’10”, 172 lbs or 5’11”, 183 lbs.  He’s a LW and shoots left.  He was 7th in the SHL in goals each of the last 2 years, with 17 per year.

OK, sure.  Why not?

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So he’s 28, and, depending on whether you believe elite prospects or Wikipedia, either 5’10”, 172 lbs or 5’11”, 183 lbs.  He’s a LW and shoots left.  He was 7th in the SHL in goals each of the last 2 years, with 17 per year.

OK, sure.  Why not?

A smallish, Swedish mostly non-descript left wing? ?

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

OK, sure.  Why not?

Botterball. 

In seriousness, I’m fine with this type of signing, provided it’s just dressing. They certainly have a type, though. 

Edited by Thorny

Oh look... ANOTHER left wing. Olofsson, Skinner, Olofsson, Kahun, Zemgus, Johansson, Vesey (unsigned), Ruostolainen, and Ruostolainen's linemate whatever his name is. All Left wings at the NHL level. 

Now let's do centers...

Eichel, Larsson (unsigned), Lazar, Cozens, Mitts. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

OK, sure.  Why not?

Which Wikipedia? One says he was born in April '92 and another says Nov 93. I even saw one saying they were step brothers of Brian/Stephen Gionta.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I wonder if this is even legit.  Any story out there links back to this Swedish paper.  The whole thing seems a bit off to me.  If anything, he might be a guy who would be getting an AHL contract.

Assuming it is true, I cannot imagine this being anything other than a signing to bolster Rochester.

Edited by Weave

5 minutes ago, LTS said:

A two way contract that was an agreed upon move so that Victor signs a new contract for slightly less than he would have demanded.

Why would it be anything more than that? ?

Very reminiscent of ROR.

As stated above, we all know how this ends....

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.