Re-drafting 2012

GASabresIUFAN

With Z with one foot out the door and McCabe longterm future in doubt beyond next year, I was thinking about who are the top 30 players from that draft.

Ultimately it looks like a mediocre draft with some pretty bad scouting in the first round but some good  value picks in the middle rounds.  

So who is the best player?  Filip Forsberg? Morgan Reilly?  What about Parayko Lindholm, Ghost, Slavin? Where do the 3 good goalies in Andersen, Hellybuck or Vasilevsky fit in? Tom Wilson has certainly had an impact.  Are McCabe and Girgensons top 30?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Girgensons is 6th in GP, 18th in points. For a guy drafted, 14th that's in the ball park

And damn, does that your give proof to those arguing the other day that a pick in any year might be worth considerably more (or less) than that same pick next year (no matter that NFL formula on the built-in cost tied to a delay.)

Only 35 guys from that draft have managed 300 NHL games, 53 have played 200.

Edited by dudacek

Girgensons drops once you factor in how many decent defencemen there were, as well as three very good goalies. He'd be a late first, early 2nd. There just arent a lot of good forwards, and no great ones.

McCabe would go about where he did again

For fun, how I would pick them in hindsight, before I'd start to consider Girgs, off the top of my head. Not a lot of drop-off here from pick to pick for me. The goalies are clearly the best guys in the class, but there isn't much of a difference between 3 and 12 for me.

Vasilievksy (19)

Hellebuyck (130)

Lindholm (6)

Slavin (120)

Parayko (86)

Reilly (5)

Trouba (9)

Forsberg (11)

Hertl (17)

Wilson (16)

Teravainen (18)

Dumba (7)

Freddie Andersen (87)

Gostisbehere (78)

Lindell (74)

Skjei (78)

Murray (3)

Josh Anderson (95)

Athanasiou (110)

Pearson (30)

Severson (60)

Tierney (55)

Colin Miller (151)

Galchenyuk (2)

Edited by dudacek

We can't forget what Matt Murray has also accomplished in goal.  He has to be top 30.

Also Damon Severson on D has made a solid impact for NJ.

I'd also draft McCabe before Girgensons.

G - Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, Andersen, Murray (4)

C - Hertl, Galchenyuk, Athanasiou, Kerfoot, and Tierney (5)

LW - Forsberg, Teravainen, Pearson (3)

RW - Wilson, Anderson, Brown (3)

D - Reilly, Trouba, Lindholm, Slavin, Parayko, Gostisbhere, Dumba, and Severson (8)

These are all the guys I put a 1 rd kind of grade on.  Not pretty at all to get only 23 players deep.

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We can't forget what Matt Murray has also accomplished in goal.  He has to be top 30.

Also Damon Severson on D has made a solid impact for NJ.

I'd also draft McCabe before Girgensons.

G - Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, Andersen, Murray (4)

C - Hertl, Galchenyuk, Athanasiou, Kerfoot, and Tierney (5)

LW - Forsberg, Teravainen, Pearson (3)

RW - Wilson, Anderson, Brown (3)

D - Reilly, Trouba, Lindholm, Slavin, Parayko, Gostisbhere, Dumba, and Severson (8)

These are all the guys I put a 1 rd kind of grade on.  Not pretty at all to get only 23 players deep.

This should be the graphic when people talk about how well or how bad you draft. Sometimes there is just no talent available.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

This should be the graphic when people talk about how well or how bad you draft. Sometimes there is just no talent available.

Absolutely.  What is interesting is that of the 23 players I listed only 11 were 1st rd picks.  The guys drafted 31-36,  have only played 8 games in the NHL between them.

To walk away from this draft with Girgensons, McCabe and Ullmark is actually pretty amazing.  

Compare to 2011, a draft in which 60% of the players played at least 1 game in the NHL, with true stars like Kucherov, Johnny Hockey, Scheifele, RNH, and Courterier.  However even this draft thins out pretty quickly.  Armia is actually 31st in points in that draft and the D & G depth is lacking compared to 2012.  No goalie in 2011 has played more then 38 NHL games.  (FYI of the 6 goalies to play in the NHL, 3 received all their NHL PT with the Sabres - Kasdorf (1 game), Wilcox (1 game) and Lieuwen (7 games)).

Zemgus and Larry would be better players without the tank - they were the top centres on that team on merit.  Ristolainen would probably be much better too.  They all would have benefitted from more time in Rochester.  Then they could have made the NHL roster on a team where good performance was tolerated if not encouraged by the GM.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.