Sabres Vs. Canadiens April 29, 1975

bob_sauve28

Tuesday – Stanley Cup Playoffs semifinals, Game 2 (April 29, 1975): Craig Ramsey and Don Luce scored in the third period, and Roger Crozier made 25 saves in a 4-2 win, giving the Sabres a 2-0 lead in the series over the Canadiens. Buffalo advanced to its first Stanley Cup Final with a 4-3 win at Montreal Forum in Game 6.

IMHO, they should play games 1, 2, 5, and 6.

The Sabres were outscored 15-2 in games 3 and 4.  There was a real question if the Sabres could recover.  And people wondered if they could finish the series off in Montreal.

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Origin of the pass? 

By what the announcer said, it kinda sounded like that.

EDIT: That's right. They still had the 2 line pass rule. Still can't tell if that's makes as big a difference as we'd all like to think.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

IMHO, they should play games 1, 2, 5, and 6.

The Sabres were outscored 15-2 in games 3 and 4.  There was a real question if the Sabres could recover.  And people wondered if they could finish the series off in Montreal.

In fact that record still stands, Montreal is still the only team to lose a six game series despite outscoring their opponent by 8 goals.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

EDIT: That's right. They still had the 2 line pass rule. Still can't tell if that's makes as big a difference as we'd all like to think.

Not much of a difference.  I think the big benefit is to make a line change easier.  With the 2 line pass rule, it resulted in more icings.  Now guys park over the center line and just get their stick on an outlet pass and then get to the bench. 

Were these teams any good? Was it good hockey? Or just good hockey for the time?

There's always the debate about which Sabres team would beat which Sabres team. After watching some of this game, I'd be on the worst tank team beating the 75 Sabres, a lot of it based on goaltending. But a lot of other things that were apparent.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Were these teams any good? Was it good hockey? Or just good hockey for the time?

There's always the debate about which Sabres team would beat which Sabres team. After watching some of this game, I'd be on the worst tank team beating the 75 Sabres, a lot of it based on goaltending. But a lot of other things that were apparent.

I disagree. I think that 74 75 team had a lot of really good hockey players. Is part of your assumption that players today are in better shape, have better coaching and more information? That might make a big difference, but I don't know how much 

I'd love to see the game! 

I'd love to watch the 99 team take on the 06 squad! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.