The Pedant's Thread

Tondas

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Why would you wear a mask and then pull it down below your nose?

Burt Ward does it as Robin in the old Batmans.  I guess it was because he didn't need to hide his secret true identity.

Oh, wait, that's not what you meant...

Wow, do I feel old.  I always use two spaces after a period.  I say, "with whom."  Rob Ray sets my teeth on edge every time he omits the "-ly" when he uses an adjective instead of the proper corresponding adverb.  I still write "e-mail", still try to properly use the subjunctive mood, and still use the Oxford comma.  I keep a copy of Strunk and White handy when I send corporate e-mails, tweet something, post on Facebook, and respond on LinkedIn.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I see Eichel and Dahlin discussions that were shamed.

Anybody else here into en dashes and em dashes? PM me.

Oh, the asides! Oh, the ranges!

23 hours ago, Tondas said:

How come you can drink a drink, but you can't food a food?

As I learned from Parliament, not REO Speedwagon, you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish. Of course, in trying to research who quoted whom just now, both tracks were released in 1978. I'm not doing further research. Parliament always wins.

13 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The trouble with publishing is inconsistency. One space or two spaces, you get to choose, but you don't get to change. Not three. Five is right out.

But with two spaces, if you're unlucky, you get an annoying river of white space meandering down the page. @inkman

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

However, there are some similarities.....we also say filet o' fish and filet mignon

That, my friend, is two ends to a very wide culinary spectrum.  That being said, on an all night bender, I'd prefer the filet o' fish at 3am!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I was on Amazon and saw that they have 100% re-cycled toilet paper..... yuck, I don't think there's enough hand sanitizer around for me to even touch that.

LOL.  Amazon sells a lot of crappy products.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.