The Pedant's Thread

Tondas

We're all bored with no hockey, so I thought I'd start this now.  From what I've read, there are many pedants on this board (including me).  I'll start:

image.thumb.png.d5cae7083a4b296ce1a8f76024130853.png

image.thumb.png.a09c260405aebc37724626d98002a3e7.png

Also, I just saw a commercial for an Eczema cure where they said you can expect your skin to be 100% clear in 4 months.  Who wants clear skin???  It would be unnerving to see all my veins, tendons and muscles.  I prefer translucent at best!

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I can’t remember the last time I used an ATM machine.

This might be brilliant.

7 hours ago, Tondas said:

We're all bored with no hockey, so I thought I'd start this now.  From what I've read, there are many pedants on this board (including me).  I'll start:

image.thumb.png.d5cae7083a4b296ce1a8f76024130853.png

image.thumb.png.a09c260405aebc37724626d98002a3e7.png

Also, I just saw a commercial for an Eczema cure where they said you can expect your skin to be 100% clear in 4 months.  Who wants clear skin???  It would be unnerving to see all my veins, tendons and muscles.  I prefer translucent at best!

I guess you didn't hear about one space between sentences. You monster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I can’t remember the last time I used an ATM machine.

Do you pronounce it A-T-M or at-M? Asking for my friend (Veers).

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This might be brilliant.

I guess you didn't hear about one space between sentences. You monster.

Ah yes, the rules of word processor kerning! Apparently schools started teaching kids one space but then reverted back to two spaces? I can neither confirm nor deny the schooling, but it certainly causes me to use Find and Replace functions more frequently. 

• Like (+1) 1

Certain hanging prepositions. I get it. Language changes. Nobody is going to say “With whom are you going” anymore. It has become “Who are you going with” and that’s fine. At least it makes sense.

When coaches or players add “at” to the end of their sentences, though, I can’t find the mute button fast enough.

”This is where we’re at.” Ugh. Just say “This is where we are.” Why add the “at”?

It makes me even crazier when I hear it on newscasts

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Do you pronounce it A-T-M or at-M? Asking for my friend (Veers).

Ah yes, the rules of word processor kerning! Apparently schools started teaching kids one space but then reverted back to two spaces? I can neither confirm nor deny the schooling, but it certainly causes me to use Find and Replace functions more frequently. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  One space makes it look like a run-on sentence. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Certain hanging prepositions. I get it. Language changes. Nobody is going to say “With whom are you going” anymore. It has become “Who are you going with” and that’s fine. At least it makes sense.

When coaches or players add “at” to the end of their sentences, though, I can’t find the mute button fast enough.

”This is where we’re at.” Ugh. Just say “This is where we are.” Why add the “at”?

There's a fine line though when it comes to language evolving.  Remember this post 15 years from now when everyone is talking and writing like a twitter post.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Because this thread is for all Pedants, as opposed to just one Pedant, the title should actually be “The Pedants’ Thread”.

He could simply be stating the obvious with the title as written and referring to himself in the 3rd person.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

Husband: Hey, where is my screwdriver at?

Wife: You can't end a sentence with a preposition.

Husband: Fine.  Where is my screwdriver at, b!tch?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

Husband: Hey, where is my screwdriver at?

Wife: You can't end a sentence with a preposition.

Husband: Fine.  Where is my screwdriver at, b!tch?

Hmmm...

With Honors, 1994. Staring Joe Pesci and Brenden Fraser.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.