50 years ago today: The best hockey photo ever?

\GoBillsInDallas/

What strikes me about the Orr photo is how there's only a decent number of people going beserk in the crowd. It's not like the Bruins won the Cup a lot. In fact, shockingly in an era of only six teams, this was their first Cup in 29 years. Was it the fact they only had to beat St. Louis to do it? More likely, IMHO, folks weren't nearly as fanatic back then about sports.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What strikes me about the Orr photo is how there's only a decent number of people going beserk in the crowd. It's not like the Bruins won the Cup a lot. In fact, shockingly in an era of only six teams, this was their first Cup in 29 years. Was it the fact they only had to beat St. Louis to do it? More likely, IMHO, folks weren't nearly as fanatic back then about sports.

I’m unsure if it was as much people being less fanatic or merely the slow changeover between the old school suits and ties crowd who would treat the events as something akin to a theatre production and thus weren’t exactly rowdy usually. And that of the slow creeping to the newer more fanatic jersey wearing fans who probably have some inspiration from European soccer in combination with a cultural shift away from the very prim and proper 50’s during the 60’s

14 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Watching the video, the photo is maybe a second after the puck crossed the line.  Hard to judge the actually response when there hadn't been enough time for everyone to process that it actually went in. 

Patrick Kane made it to center ice in 2015 before anyone realized that he had scored (unfortunately, on the road, so there wasn't much excitement when they did.)

On 5/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, PASabreFan said:

Think of the "Original 6" as the 3 big markets (Montreal, Toronto, Detroit) versus the 3 small markets (Boston, Chicago, New York).

Teams had "territories" where they had exclusive rights to the players within them.  Because there were more young players near Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit, they tended to have stronger players in their territorial systems; meanwhile Boston, Chicago, and New York had much slimmer pickings.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Upon further review, the place did go nuts. Also, as much as I hate The Dunleavy non-goal goal call, Dan Kelly's call was outstanding.

Here's a neat little breakdown of why the goal is so memorable:

Certainly the most iconic photo in NHL history.  Who hasn't seen it.  Orr was my favorite player until the Sabres came into existence.  Then I cheered when Shoeny beat him up with 2 other Bruins at the Aud.  That may have been a scrap with Vadnais and Cashman though the Zamboni doors game.

12 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's tough to beat the famous photo (and film) of Number Four Bobby Orr flying through the air.

Although I was married and living in NY at the time I grew up on Cape Cod and Mr Orr was something to watch. One great talent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.