Some random hockey trivia

Eleven

Just from my wikipedia rabbit hole this morning.  Please use spoiler tags for answers.  Some are easy, some are harder, one is a trick question.

1.  Who was the first Sabre with a 100-point season?

2.  Gilbert Perreault set the NHL record for goals scored by a rookie.  Years and years later, his rookie goal total was exactly DOUBLED, by which (non-Sabre) rookie?

3.  Which team drafted Marcel Dionne?

4.  One man owned both the Los Angeles Kings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.  Who is he?

5.  As a junior player, Perreault billeted with a future teammate's family.  Who?

6.  The Aud hosted eight pro sports teams.  (Not necessarily all major.)  Get at it and name 'em.

@Rico7 You had some right and some wrong in the original thread. But the spoiler tag request is there for a reason, so people like @Weave and everyone else on the board can play along.  I normally wouldn't care but no one has anything to do right now.

Edited by Eleven

Just throwing words out here because I don't have confidence that I've got any right.

1. Pierre Turgeon I think.  2. Teemu Selanne I think.  Taking a crack at 6. Sabres, Braves, Bisons, Stallions, Bandits, Blizzard, yeah I'm outta steam.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hide contents

1 Robert

2 Selanne

3 Kings

4 Jack Kent Cooke

5 Andre Savard

6 Sabres, Braves, Bisons, lacrosse, arena football (and, let’s be honest, I can’t even guess)

I know number three is wrong and I’m pretty sure number 5 is but that’s possible. For number 6, I have 9 answers.

Just now, tom webster said:

I know number three is wrong and I’m pretty sure number 5 is but that’s possible. For number 6, I have 9 answers.

#3 is totally wrong. Clearly not thinking clearly yet today.

#5 was a total guess.

Some of you are pretty impressive, especially with the obscure #4.

Rico7 had the most correct in the original thread.

Here are your answers:

Rene Robert

2.  Gilbert Perreault set the NHL record for goals scored by a rookie.  Years and years later, his rookie goal total was exactly DOUBLED, by which (non-Sabre) rookie?

Teemu Selanne

Detroit

4.  One man owned both the Los Angeles Kings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.  Who is he?

Jack Kent Cooke owned the Kings as well as the Toronto Maple Leafs minor league baseball team. 

5.  As a junior player, Perreault billeted with a future teammate's family.  Who?

Richard Martin

6.  The Aud hosted eight pro sports teams.  (Not necessarily all major.)  Get at it and name 'em.

Sabres, Braves, Bandits, Stallions, Blizzard, Stampede (roller hockey), Bisons (AHL), and the very obscure Buffalo-Toronto Royals of World Team Tennis.  The Destroyers and the Wings played at the current arena.

Edited by Eleven

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Some of you are pretty impressive, especially with the obscure #4.

Rico7 had the most correct in the original thread.

Here are your answers:

Hide contents

Rene Robert

Hide contents

Teemu Selanne

Hide contents

Detroit

Hide contents

Jack Kent Cooke owned the Kings as well as the Toronto Maple Leafs minor league baseball team. 

Hide contents

Richard Martin

Hide contents

Sabres, Braves, Bandits, Stallions, Blizzard, Stampede (roller hockey), Bisons (AHL), and the very obscure Buffalo-Toronto Royals of World Team Tennis.  The Destroyers and the Wings played at the current arena.

I was wrong on 5, thought it was Norm Gratton. As for 6, I got the eight and then a friend pointed out that there was a Bison’s basketball team for one year in the forties. I actually went to a couple team tennis matches so I had that one.

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I was wrong on 5, thought it was Norm Gratton. As for 6, I got the eight and then a friend pointed out that there was a Bison’s basketball team for one year in the forties. I actually went to a couple team tennis matches so I had that one.

Wow.  Indeed, there was a Bisons basketball team, but not even for a full year. They are the Atlanta Hawks now. And yes, they did play at The Aud.  Nice call, TW's friend.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Here is a question for you. Only twice has a team drafted three future all stars in the same draft.

I don't know how I did this, but I nailed one of them.  Even checked my work.  

I somehow knew it was the Isles in the Bossy draft, and, sure enough.

Must have been burned into my brain long ago or something. 

Edited by Eleven

49 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't know how I did this, but I nailed one of them.  Even checked my work.  

Reveal hidden contents

I somehow knew it was the Isles in the Bossy draft, and, sure enough.

Must have been burned into my brain long ago or something. 

Um, I’m not sure who you are counting as number three in that class.

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Um, I’m not sure who you are counting as number three in that class.

Bossy, Tonelli, and Marini all were drafted by the Isles in 1977 and all three played in all-star games.  

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

For the record, I reached out to Hockey Reference for clarification. 

Three future all stars seems like an odd designation.  With those rosters turning over constantly each season, only three teams pulling that off seems incredibly low.  Now if it was supposed to be hall of famers, now that seems like it could be doable.  Buffalo almost hit that one with the Housley draft.  Could the real question be about the first and second team all star awards instead of the actual all star game itself?

As for the all star version, did each of these three play in one of those games?   It's tough to tell especially in more recent years as less guys can get in from one team.

Kessel, Marchand, Lucic

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

Three future all stars seems like an odd designation.  With those rosters turning over constantly each season, only three teams pulling that off seems incredibly low.  Now if it was supposed to be hall of famers, now that seems like it could be doable.  Buffalo almost hit that one with the Housley draft.  Could the real question be about the first and second team all star awards instead of the actual all star game itself?

As for the all star version, did each of these three play in one of those games?   It's tough to tell especially in more recent years as less guys can get in from one team.

Reveal hidden contents

Kessel, Marchand, Lucic

No, hockey reference clarified and it is three all stars with the caveat being last three decades. To me it reinforces how hard it is to hit on anything past the 3rd round.

In both correct versions, one guy made the all star team while playing for another team, which oddly enough, is also the case in eleven’s answer.

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

No, hockey reference clarified and it is three all stars with the caveat being last three decades. To me it reinforces how hard it is to hit on anything past the 3rd round.

In both correct versions, one guy made the all star team while playing for another team, which oddly enough, is also the case in eleven’s answer.

That's the only way it can happen today now that there are so many teams.

It's funny, I'm actually more curious right now about some of the older ones.  As you can imagine, Edmonton had quite a run, 5 all stars drafted between 1979 and 1980, 4 of them hall of famers.  Those were their first two drafts, so talk about hitting the ground running.  Then they added another all star/hall of famer the following year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.