Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

NHL Draft Moving Up to June 5&6th?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The most likely player available at 7 would be Lucas Raymond. He's better than Holtz, a player I worry we take instead. 

If Rossi slid, that would also be an option. 

Why do you like Raymond better than Holtz? Not disagreeing (haven't really watched either), but Holtz is said to be stronger, had a better year against similar competition, might be a more committed, focused person, and has been called the best goal scorer in the draft.

Skating and upside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why do you like Raymond better than Holtz? Not disagreeing (haven't really watched either), but Holtz is said to be stronger, had a better year against similar competition, might be a more committed, focused person, and has been called the best goal scorer in the draft.

Skating and upside?

Strength is the least important thing for a prospect because it is the easiest to build/gain.

I am not sure where you get the more committed part from. I have never seen questions around Raymond's commitment.

Holtz had a better year while playing more minutes, playing on his teams top line at times, getting powerplay time. Raymond got almost none of that. Raymond was put on his team's last line for much of the year while getting limited ice time and almost no powerplay time. Against peers with more minutes, Raymond does more than Holtz. Yes I like Raymond's skating more but also his overall game. Holtz's defensive game is mediocre, his skating is just okay, I don't think he is overly creative. Raymond has better skating, I like his motor in all 3 zones better, he is smarter, and I think 20lbs and an extra few minutes a night will really propel him past Holtz. The short of this is that I see more in Raymond than I do watching Holtz. Holtz leaves me wanting a little more here and there and Raymond does not. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't get the wrong impression. I like Holtz, I just like Raymond more. Holtz looks to be poised to be a good goal scoring RW in the NHL. I think Raymond looks to be a bit more. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Please don't get the wrong impression. I like Holtz, I just like Raymond more. Holtz looks to be poised to be a good goal scoring RW in the NHL. I think Raymond looks to be a bit more. 

No Alex Nylander vibe at all with Raymond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No Alex Nylander vibe at all with Raymond?

Just for me personally:  You could say that he is an Alex Nylander “type” of player in that he is a plus skill/skating finesse winger.  However, I think that his demonstrated willingness to work hard in all 3 zones kind of separates him from Nylander in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No Alex Nylander vibe at all with Raymond?

That is a possibility but when I watch Raymond, he doesn't appear to be a perimeter player. Nylander always gave off that impression. I see Raymond going to the net and getting the puck down low. He just isn't strong enough to win all those board battles. But yes, there is absolutely the potential that Raymond stagnates and becomes someone like Nylander with a finesse game, I just think Raymond has a better motor than Nylander. 

 

 

 

Edited by LGR4GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you like music...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holtz by the way is in my 6-8 range. I think that is the tier below the top 5. Well really there is 1-2, 3-5, 6-8/9, 9-? haven't gotten that far yet but I hope to still get a list of about 30 players by the end of May. 

This draft is okay but it really lacks the deep talent that last year had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

 

I am not sure where you get the more committed part from. I have never seen questions around Raymond's commitment.

Not that he doesn’t care, or work hard, more of Holtz being an alpha and Raymond maybe not.

And to clarify, I don’tt think being an alpha is necessarily better than not. Alphas can be Jack Eichel or Evander Kane. 

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not that he doesn’t care, or work hard, more of Holtz being an alpha and Raymond maybe not.

And to clarify, I don’tt think being an alpha is necessarily better than not. Alphas can be Jack Eichel or Evander Kane. 

Ah, I understand what you mean now. 

It is kind of why I hope Rossi slides. He just is a little ball of skill and hate. Keep in mind Rossi is also old for this draft. He has a September b-day so you really need to look at the previous year.

 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From LeBrun today...

On the idea of a June NHL draft, which has been a hot potato ever since it was proposed a few weeks ago.

“So, it’s one of a number of things we’re working on,” said Daly. “And when I say working on, when we’re talking to the clubs we’re discussing it in more detail. We want to understand their concerns, we want to understand the pros and the cons. So there’s no rush on our end. Particularly with where we think the earliest we can play in, we have a window to fit the draft in if we wanted to go in that direction. And when we get to the end of that process, whenever that is, we’ll make a decision. But we’re not there yet. I do anticipate, obviously, at some point, whether it’s this week or next week, probably more likely next week, you’re going to have to make a decision. But nothing is imminent.”

My take: The memo that the league sent to the 31 clubs on May 1 made it seem like the June draft was headed toward a done deal. But ever since last Monday’s Board of Governors call, there has been a clear slowing of momentum on it. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but I would certainly present that there’s been enough pushback from teams to make Daly and Bettman think about it again. It’s probably more of a toss-up now whether the draft happens in June or after the season is over in the fall. Either way, sounds like we should know sometime next week.

 

We can only hope for the underlined.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Broken Ankles said:

From LeBrun today...

On the idea of a June NHL draft, which has been a hot potato ever since it was proposed a few weeks ago.

“So, it’s one of a number of things we’re working on,” said Daly. “And when I say working on, when we’re talking to the clubs we’re discussing it in more detail. We want to understand their concerns, we want to understand the pros and the cons. So there’s no rush on our end. Particularly with where we think the earliest we can play in, we have a window to fit the draft in if we wanted to go in that direction. And when we get to the end of that process, whenever that is, we’ll make a decision. But we’re not there yet. I do anticipate, obviously, at some point, whether it’s this week or next week, probably more likely next week, you’re going to have to make a decision. But nothing is imminent.”

My take: The memo that the league sent to the 31 clubs on May 1 made it seem like the June draft was headed toward a done deal. But ever since last Monday’s Board of Governors call, there has been a clear slowing of momentum on it. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but I would certainly present that there’s been enough pushback from teams to make Daly and Bettman think about it again. It’s probably more of a toss-up now whether the draft happens in June or after the season is over in the fall. Either way, sounds like we should know sometime next week.

 

We can only hope for the underlined.  

I agree, having the Sabres miss the 24 team playoff and be excluded from a lottery for the top 2 picks is clearly unfair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 1:53 PM, LGR4GM said:

Ah, I understand what you mean now. 

It is kind of why I hope Rossi slides. He just is a little ball of skill and hate. Keep in mind Rossi is also old for this draft. He has a September b-day so you really need to look at the previous year.

 

Thanks for this.
I love Rossi and  have watched him live this year. He is really good and I would like to see him available at 7, if the Sabres remain there. He seems solid enough for 5’9”” and can work on his strength to compete at the next level. The video scout’s opinion is that he may be ready for the NHL this coming year. He may be lower on a few boards because of his Austrian passport he hasn’t been exposed to a lot of best on best world class hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I agree, having the Sabres miss the 24 team playoff and be excluded from a lottery for the top 2 picks is clearly unfair

Creating a scenario that pointlessly screws over 2 teams for no good or logical reason whatsoever is so Peak NHL.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the NHL first started discussing going straight to a 24 Team Playoff, either LeBrun or Friedman mentioned that the seven teams who did not qualify would get increased lottery odds. This should benefit the Sabres as they shouldn’t be able to drop below seven and should have a better odds at moving into the Top 3. 

I believe the Lottery Format for only the Top Pick was for an early draft which doesn’t appear to be happening. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

When the NHL first started discussing going straight to a 24 Team Playoff, either LeBrun or Friedman mentioned that the seven teams who did not qualify would get increased lottery odds. This should benefit the Sabres as they shouldn’t be able to drop below seven and should have a better odds at moving into the Top 3. 

I believe the Lottery Format for only the Top Pick was for an early draft which doesn’t appear to be happening. 

Which is good news.  The format where u miss the playoffs and then get screwed out of a chance at the top pick was complete BS.  Of course it was the Sabres being the pickle in the middle which made it a “because Buffalo” moment but I’m glad the league has come to it’s senses. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...