NHL Draft Moving Up to June 5&6th?

Brawndo

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

dear god, now you are adding to the trade? madness!

he ranks 128th in NHL scoring in PPG, he plays on one of the best teams in the league. His main linemates are Alex Kilhorn and Steven Stamkos.  he wins 47% of his face-offs (hardly ROR)

You know who he ranks behind in scoring Points per game? Dylan Strome, why not go after him and save the 7th overall pick?

128th in scoring rate is a high end 2nd liner.  Plus, he was tied for 102nd in total points, and 13 ahead of him were D.  So, 89th in points among forwards.  Thats low end 1st line production.  And he barely gets any PP time right now.  Along with being one of the most well respected defensive forwards out there.  At 22.

I truly believe that if he was the #1c on a team, he would be putting up 60+ points and be considered a Selke finalist.  I think he will force his way into that discussion in the next couple years regardless.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you trade the pick for the infamous player to be named later, (if that is even allowed under the new rules), you run an incredible risk of injury during TB's playoff run.  I'm not saying the risk isn't worth it or that I wouldn't make the deal, but that risk is significant.  

If I were to structure the deal, I'd reach an agreement with TB on terms on which player to chose and then announce the deal with the chosen player for Cirelli with the conditions of injury and extension and announced following the playoffs.  

There is no reason to put in a condition of extension. 

If I am the Sabres, Tyson Foerster is high on my list of players to be targeting early in round 2. He is the highest scoring payer on his team by almost double. He put up 80 points in 62 games. Skates well, decent size, plays C and RW. Foerster's shot is a cannon. This guy has goal scoring winger written all over him. His IQ is harder to judge because I only see parts and pieces of their games but he looks good and seems to get into position well. This guy is in my top 25 currently. So what is the catch? A lot of his goals came on the powerplay, 18. That is always something to be a little concerned about. His skating is fine, the only noted issue is his first 2 steps, those need some work. This is exactly the type of player you target in round 2. High upside, decent floor. If he is available, I would hard pressed to find someone better for Buffalo. He fits both needs and talent. 

I guess it’s overdue time to start getting interested in this.

Seems like there is a very reasonable chance the Sabres are picking 7 or 8th.

Given needs, trends and draft rankings, we’re likely to end up with one of the Swedes, with a decent chance on Perfetti and fingers crossed that Rossi slides, right?

And we’re happy with any of those guys, right?

This year feels a lot like last year, where a good player who fits a need will almost certainly be there.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I guess it’s overdue time to start getting interested in this.

Seems like there is a very reasonable chance the Sabres are picking 7 or 8th.

Given needs, trends and draft rankings, we’re likely to end up with one of the Swedes, with a decent chance on Perfetti and fingers crossed that Rossi slides, right?

And we’re happy with any of those guys, right?

This year feels a lot like last year, where a good player who fits a need will almost certainly be there.

I think this is basically true.  People will have favorites, but the Sabres should be able to get a good forward prospect that everyone will be at least ok with.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I can't imagine feeling anything but weary nihilism when thinking about the idea of talking about who the sabres pick in the bottom half of the top ten and what role they could theoretically fill x years down the road 

Out!  Out with you!  Get out of this draft thread!

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I can't imagine feeling anything but weary nihilism when thinking about the idea of talking about who the sabres pick in the bottom half of the top ten and what role they could theoretically fill x years down the road 

Yeah, that's why I want them to trade the pick.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If I am the Sabres, Tyson Foerster is high on my list of players to be targeting early in round 2. He is the highest scoring payer on his team by almost double. He put up 80 points in 62 games. Skates well, decent size, plays C and RW. Foerster's shot is a cannon. This guy has goal scoring winger written all over him. His IQ is harder to judge because I only see parts and pieces of their games but he looks good and seems to get into position well. This guy is in my top 25 currently. So what is the catch? A lot of his goals came on the powerplay, 18. That is always something to be a little concerned about. His skating is fine, the only noted issue is his first 2 steps, those need some work. This is exactly the type of player you target in round 2. High upside, decent floor. If he is available, I would hard pressed to find someone better for Buffalo. He fits both needs and talent. 

Ryan Suzuki put up similar numbers before being dealt from Barrie.

Foerster doesn’t wow me with his game but he produced on a weak team as a 17 year old. He should definitely be a second rounder.

He was their go to guy in the few games I watched. He could light up the OHL next year if they get him some support.

If everyone is raving about this "amazing" draft wouldn't that make the #8 pick we will almost surely end up with really valuable, as in something that if we had a competent GM could easily get us a real good player back and help us not be a league laughingstock NOW as opposed to half a decade from now?

On 5/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, dudacek said:

Raymond is our most likely pick, right? Playmaking, smooth-skating, smallish right wing, from Frolunda no less?

Ticks a lot of Botterill boxes.

Ceiling isn't low enough so Botts will pass.

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

If everyone is raving about this "amazing" draft wouldn't that make the #8 pick we will almost surely end up with really valuable, as in something that if we had a competent GM could easily get us a real good player back and help us not be a league laughingstock NOW as opposed to half a decade from now?

I don’t think it is that amazing.  It’s pretty normal I’d say.

Maybe above average for forwards but definitely below average for D, and one really good goalie prospect.

Edited by Curt

On 5/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, Crusader1969 said:

why does the 7th pick next year have to be NHL ready?  are the Sabres going to win the cup next year? would they even be a contender with Cerelli as the #2 Center? 

This is the 2015 draft in terms of quality in the top 8 to 10 picks.

Rantanen was the 10th pick that year, Timo Meier was 9th pick in 2015. If you look at the top 10, the only forward who would not rank ahead of Cerelli in a redraft is Pavel Zacha.

AGAIN, im not saying dont try to acquire him, just don't give up THIS years draft pick. 

This line of thinking became a self-fulfilling prophecy for the organization years ago. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, Randall Flagg said:

1956130659_gosabres.thumb.jpg.37c86a91a2668ecc179283bb332f567d.jpg

If the bolded is Kris Baker talking there'd be at least 3 more food reference terminologies ala "seasoning". Cook for a while in Rochester. etc, etc. 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, dudacek said:

Raymond is our most likely pick, right? Playmaking, smooth-skating, smallish right wing, from Frolunda no less?

Ticks a lot of Botterill boxes.

He's not a left shot wing though, so, maybe not ?

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think it is that amazing.  It’s pretty normal I’d say.

Maybe above average for forwards but definitely below average for D, and one really good goalie prospect.

This.

Furthermore, "DeEpEsT dRaFt sInCE 2003" is the refrain every year. By the time this draft is one day old, we'll be hearing about how next year is deeper. I don't type it like that because the drafts aren't indeed strong - they are - but that's not special anymore. The draft is always loaded nowadays seemingly. There's so much talent. Everyone gets a pick, too - I'd take the trade if it's possible. 

Edited by Thorny

9 hours ago, Weave said:

Kicking the can down the road is NOT a winning strategy.

I liked that game as a kid... the whole neighborhood would come out and play and  I had my preferred hiding spots from which I could decide when to attack the can to kick it...

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I liked that game as a kid... the whole neighborhood would come out and play and  I had my preferred hiding spots from which I could decide when to attack the can to kick it...

That was a great game. I have a memory of one of those super late summer nights, with about 20 kids of the block all running about in near darkness. I'm sure it was past everyone's time to come home, but the parents were like "Darkness schmarkness? Leave 'em out there." and went back to...  watching 20/20 or something innocuous I'm sure.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Sabres pick 8th again. // In a "2020 Redraft" article in 2026 their selection is a late 3rd-rounder // Rinse in Horsey Sauce and repeat.  // Eat at Arby's

41 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

So if Sabres keep their pick who do you want LGR? You probably stated it before... but Im so lost on this draft... 

The most likely player available at 7 would be Lucas Raymond. He's better than Holtz, a player I worry we take instead. 

If Rossi slid, that would also be an option. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The most likely player available at 7 would be Lucas Raymond. He's better than Holtz, a player I worry we take instead. 

If Rossi slid, that would also be an option. 

Why do you like Raymond better than Holtz? Not disagreeing (haven't really watched either), but Holtz is said to be stronger, had a better year against similar competition, might be a more committed, focused person, and has been called the best goal scorer in the draft.

Skating and upside?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.