Jack for the Hart?

GASabresIUFAN

Wow, that is some pretty high praise from another player and apparently student of the game who is always watching hockey when not playing it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jets-mark-scheifele-says-sabres-jack-eichel-deserves-hart-trophy/?view=getnewpost

“Leon [Draisaitl] is probably the smartest player in the game. Connor [McDavid] … well, everyone knows him. And guys like Nathan MacKinnon and David Pastrnak deserve some praise as well, absolutely,” he wrote.

“But … the most valuable player to his team? Jack Eichel.”

Scheifele, a self-proclaimed hockey nerd who’s almost always watching hockey whenever he isn’t playing it, said he’s been watching a lot of Sabres games this year so he can see what Eichel does next.

“Every time he steps out there he seems like he’s just got another gear over everyone else,” he wrote. “To do that night in and night out? That’s impressive.”

On Jack Eichel:
“Whenever we play Buffalo, he’s the first guy we look to try to nullify. He’s a monster in the offensive end and an absolute pain to play against when you’re trying to score. He can do it all. He’s one of the most complete forwards in the game. And he doesn’t take a shift off.”

Edited by matter2003

I can't stand the whole "the award should go to the player most valuable to his team" nonsense.  I feel like that discussion is steeped in Canadian culture as my experience has taught me they go out of their way to be overly fair and read everything to it's literal definition.  

The award is for the best player, to hell with what they call it.  

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can't stand the whole "the award should go to the player most valuable to his team" nonsense.  I feel like that discussion is steeped in Canadian culture as my experience has taught me they go out of their way to be overly fair and read everything to it's literal definition.  

The award is for the best player, to hell with what they call it.  

Because really, is Canadian culture at all worth respecting?

I'd say it's easy enough to get the definition changed if it's not representative of the actual award. Seems to make more intuitive sense than everyone willfully ignoring the wording simply because "that's the way it is". All the other definitions are proper, I don't really see it as a Canada-specific issue. 

It would be such an easy change, it's only serving to confuse the voting process regardless of the cause. Have to assume they don't really care, people have been harping on it for years.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.