Sabres in The Playoffs?

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Interesting that the latest scuttlebutt on the 24-team playoffs would see the Rangers shift over to the Atlantic to replace Buffalo as the 6th seed. 

Will that really make some of you happy?

That happens, we need to send somebody to MSG to go all Chuck Norris on their arse.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't want to see any more Sabres hockey until next season. I don't even think the league should be finishing this season. I'm checked out and I want to stay that way lol 

Correct. And then I win our Fantasy League.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting that the latest scuttlebutt on the 24-team playoffs would see the Rangers shift over to the Atlantic to replace Buffalo as the 6th seed. 

In that case I'd demand compensation and an explanation. 

That would absolute BS, Montreal has 3 points more than us and had played 2 more games. Had the season been stopped 1 game later and we won we'd of been 1 point back with 2 games in hand. So screw the Rangers. I'm sick and tired of the Sabres franchise being shafted by the NHL. Hell, the Rangers can't even play any home games because I doubt MSG will be open and they are by-law required to play at MSG for home games. (Remember the Winter Classic)

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

In that case I'd demand compensation and an explanation. 

That would absolute BS, Montreal has 3 points more than us and had played 2 more games. Had the season been stopped 1 game later and we won we'd of been 1 point back with 2 games in hand. So screw the Rangers. I'm sick and tired of the Sabres franchise being shafted by the NHL. Hell, the Rangers can't even play any home games because I doubt MSG will be open and they are by-law required to play at MSG for home games. (Remember the Winter Classic)

This is the proper response.

The logic is that the 24 best win %s would be in, but you’d be lying to say the Rangers market isn’t a factor.

If the teams’ positions were reversed doubt this would ever happen.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wide Right, Forward Lateral, No Goal and now Atlantic Shift.  But hey, in time, we'll all have a good laugh about this.  NOT!

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is the proper response.

The logic is that the 24 best win %s would be in, but you’d be lying to say the Rangers market isn’t a factor.

If the teams’ positions were reversed doubt this would ever happen.

You wanted it. Soak in it.

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

I won't say happy. Rather, it would make me feel better because it's somewhat more consistent with the regular playoffs. For the record: I think they should follow the planned playoff qualification rules (16 teams, wildcards, and non-qualifiers get a lottery percentage). I don't like "altering the deal" once the season has started. If they go to 24 teams, and use a wild card layout -- then absolutely the Rangers should be in over the Sabres, just like if both teams were currently in 4th in their divisions and going after the wildcard. But, if the league wants 24 teams in, then only 7 teams should have a lottery percentage and they all should be available for #1. You either get playoffs (and revenue) or you get a lottery chance, not both.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

When you watch people who wanted an abominable NHL playoff system get mad at how abominable it is.

Silly boy, anger is for Canucks fans.

Sabre fans know all systems are arbitrary and take comfort in the certainty of knowing that if the rules get bent, they will be bent for the benefit of others, so we can actually “earn” everything that comes to us.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No, my statement makes me a bigger fan. I don't want a charity playoff appearance because some bat got mad at some Chinese guy.

I’ll show you my fan if you show me yours!

I genuinely don't see why they want to expand the playoff field. Just do it normally. Play a catch-up game or two if you have to, to make it fair. 

If they did go to 24 teams, top 6 in each division, they would HAVE to put the Rangers in over Buffalo. If you're making stuff up already, make up more stuff so that it's actually ***** fair. The Rangers get punished for being a clear 2 tiers better than Buffalo, DESPITE the hard division they play in, that makes the record more impressive in reality? That's ridiculous. 

Jason and Terry/Kim don't deserve a playoff appearance of any kind.

Display an ounce of competence, build a real team, and then get in when you actually earn it 

It's not that hard, you don't even have to be in the top 50% of teams to get a spot

Edited by Randall Flagg

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they did go to 24 teams, top 6 in each division, they would HAVE to put the Rangers in over Buffalo. If you're making stuff up already, make up more stuff so that it's actually ***** fair. The Rangers get punished for being a clear 2 tiers better than Buffalo, DESPITE the hard division they play in, that makes the record more impressive in reality? That's ridiculous. 

Yet that's the way it was done for years and years.

The idea behind the division thing is that they could preserve rivalries for the 2020 playoffs while sending each division to a neutral site.

The idea behind the expansion to 24 teams is to get more eyeballs on more screens.

Frankly, I'd rather the league stick to 16 teams.  But the idea of a Toronto-Buffalo play-in series is exciting, I must admit.

Edited by Eleven

Sounds like the 24 is coming from the fact they’ve largely given up on a regular season,

Players on the bottom feeders had no interest in being isolated to come back to play a handful of meaningless games and the owners don’t need those teams for the revenue.

So many fans here responding like jilted husbands.

1. I'll take any playoff berth we can get; until we win a Cup nothing is off limits to me in achieving that. I couldn't care less if ownership doesn't deserve because we as fans deserve it and some of the players do as well. The idea that the Rangers would get in solely because they have more points than us is ludicrous; they also have more points than Montreal and Florida; why do those two get in but not us? Montreal has 3 more points than we do but we were about to literally play them and have 2 games in hand; there is no reason we should be shafted for their sake.   

2. This will only further prove the large market bias even though Buffalo gets some of the best TV ratings in the US. I would hope Buffalo would boycott airing the NHL playoffs if they kick us out for NYR. 

3. We can't even win the freaking lottery, the best we can get is #3 which is effectively like getting #3 in the McDavid-Eichel draft. The Top 2 are a good bit better than the rest.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I would hope Buffalo would boycott airing the NHL playoffs if they kick us out for NYR.

Who is this going to benefit?!

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

So many fans here responding like jilted husbands.

More like abused husbands.

Just now, thewookie1 said:

No idea but I'm sick of the NHL find new ways to screw us. It's not the fans' fault the team can't seem to work their way out of a paper bag.

We're 6th from the bottom and the NHL is discussing an idea that would put us in the playoffs over a team that would finish about 14 points ahead of us in the standings had the games been finished. 

Them ultimately deciding to not do so would not constitute "screwing us" 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We're 6th from the bottom and the NHL is discussing an idea that would put us in the playoffs over a team that would finish about 14 points ahead of us in the standings had the games been finished. 

Them ultimately deciding to not do so would not constitute "screwing us" 

Then use a system that goes 1-12 in each Conference or 1-24 league-wide not a 1-6 in all 4 divisions but well Buffalo is a little behind Montreal so they don't deserve it. We shouldn't be in an exception to the rule; that is where we are screwed. 

Also I would want full lottery privileges; why should we have to miss the playoffs yet again and yet still have no way of get #1. 

Just to make matters worse seeing as the Senators and Red Wings will be getting Top 5 talents while our team finds new ways to flounder. Can we do a vote of no confidence or something?  

Just to add, the idea Montreal should get in over us when they lost 4 times to Detroit and have a nominal lead on us in a complete farce in of itself.

Edited by thewookie1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.