Sabres in The Playoffs?

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

They should. But they need to take the same risk everyone else is or soon will be taking.

The nature of their job puts them at a significantly higher risk than the average person. Because of that risk mitigation needs to be greater. Do you see it differently?

8 minutes ago, Hank said:

Help me out, what did I miss?

Pro athletes have been getting coronavirus tests while the general public has not been able to.  The NBA was emblematic of that.  LeBron James is emblematic of the NBA.

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Pro athletes have been getting coronavirus tests while the general public has not been able to.  The NBA was emblematic of that.  LeBron James is emblematic of the NBA.

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but I don't, so I'm going to ask. Also, I'm not attempting to be pissy with you, I'm genuinely curious. This is also not NBA specific, but sports leagues in general. 

Are players personally buying tests?

Are teams buying tests and administering them to players?

Are leagues buying tests and distributing them to teams?

I think who's doing the purchasing changes the perspective, at least in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Not sure if you know the answer to this, but I don't, so I'm going to ask. Also, I'm not attempting to be pissy with you, I'm genuinely curious. This is also not NBA specific, but sports leagues in general. 

Are players personally buying tests?

Are teams buying tests and administering them to players?

Are leagues buying tests and distributing them to teams?

I think who's doing the purchasing changes the perspective, at least in my opinion. 

Have you been under a rock or just in KY/TN?  This isn't new:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/03/19/coronavirus-nba-draws-ire-players-tested-amid-national-shortage/2872987001/  That article is from March.

Edited by Eleven

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Have you been under a rock or just in KY/TN?  This isn't new:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2020/03/19/coronavirus-nba-draws-ire-players-tested-amid-national-shortage/2872987001/  That article is from March.

I don't consume a lot of Tv news, intentionally. I didn't;t know this was a thing, either.

I also think it's stupid.

Any industry wants to take care of their own.

If I was an NBA fan, I would want them all tested and then sent back on the court to entertain me.

Just as I want all the NHL players to be tested, so they can get back on the ice to entertain me.

Is this really a thing?

The thing that is frustrating is that literally anyone could have Corona because a majority of people that get it are actually just fine, possible even asymptomatic for the duration. 

If the US wants to shut the whole damn country down over this, they better damn well find a way to test EVERYONE and quickly. From the elites to the homeless.... Take some of this bs money to people that don't need it and dump it unto actual science and get it done. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don't consume a lot of Tv news, intentionally. I didn't;t know this was a thing, either.

If I was an NBA fan, I would want them all tested and then sent back on the court to entertain me.

Just as I want all the NHL players to be tested, so they can get back on the ice to entertain me.

Is this really a thing?

It's been all over radio and all over print / internet publication since March.  I don't watch TV news either.  I haven't had cable since February 2014.

Edited by Eleven

On 5/3/2020 at 10:36 PM, Eleven said:

An employer who had some employees test positive for corona purchased tests for other employees in an effort to contain the spread of the virus. It's not only understandable, it's appropriate. Is the contention that because this employer purchased those tests for his employees from a private lab that critically ill patients who desperately needed them couldn't get them? If that's the argument I don't think it has any merit. I don't understand the pearl clutching over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hank said:

An employer who had some employees test positive for corona purchased tests for other employees in an effort to contain the spread of the virus. It's not only understandable, it's appropriate. Is the contention that because this employer purchased those tests for his employees from a private lab that critically ill patients who desperately needed them couldn't get them? If that's the argument I don't think it has any merit. I don't understand the pearl clutching over it. 

Your analogy is off. The NBA contained the virus in its ranks by closing. Now to re-open they want to secure precious and limited tests to make sure those returning aren't sick. And they have to keep testing everyone, maybe even on a daily basis. It's what every nursing home wants to do to keep thousands of residents from dying. But the tests are either not available or not affordable. The NBA knows the PR predicament it's in.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It's neither an argument nor pearl clutching.  The point is that in mid-March, when almost no one in the US had access to tests, the NBA found a way to get the tests.  The first eight words of your post indicate that the NBA had test kits when the rest of the country didn't.  Otherwise, it never would have found out that the first two players had the virus, right?

Your analogy is off. The NBA contained the virus in its ranks by closing. Now to re-open they want to secure precious and limited tests to make sure those returning aren't sick. And they have to keep testing everyone, maybe even on a daily basis. It's what every nursing home wants to do to keep thousands of residents from dying. But the tests are either not available or not affordable. The NBA knows the PR predicament it's in.

I'm not sure this is accurate. I believe that here have always been private tests, just not the CDC approved tests that the gov't will pay for.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Because of the above, I agree with this.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:54 PM, SwampD said:

Is this really a thing?

image.png.8f14237601f9f466bb3f703cc3aa4d15.png

King SwampD I presume?

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, NBA players will probably need ongoing testing. So will NHL players. So will NFL players. The nature of their job requires it. Do you believe nursing home residents who need testing can't get them because the NBA is buying them up? If so, why? 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's neither an argument nor pearl clutching.  The point is that in mid-March, when almost no one in the US had access to tests, the NBA found a way to get the tests.  The first eight words of your post indicate that the NBA had test kits when the rest of the country didn't.  Otherwise, it never would have found out that the first two players had the virus, right?

Many players across a variety of sports leagues around the globe have tested positive. I don't know the circumstances lead to any of them being tested. Does it really matter? If I needed to be tested I could go on base and get it done. Should I feel guilty about it? You're a lawyer, right? I assume of at least moderate success? Could you not find a way to get tested if you needed to? Should you feel guilty about it? Would you and I getting tested mean that two other people who to be tested won't be able to? Some people won't/can't get tested for a variety of reasons, regardless of how many tests are purchased from private labs by sports leagues. Isn't THAT the point?

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Many players across a variety of sports leagues around the globe have tested positive. I don't know the circumstances lead to any of them being tested. Does it really matter? If I needed to be tested I could go on base and get it done. Should I feel guilty about it? You're a lawyer, right? I assume of at least moderate success? Could you not find a way to get tested if you needed to? Should you feel guilty about it? Would you and I getting tested mean that two other people who to be tested won't be able to? Some people won't/can't get tested for a variety of reasons, regardless of how many tests are purchased from private labs by sports leagues. Isn't THAT the point?

I don't blame you for not knowing what's going on.  You choose to live in an area that has purposefully-ignorant media and a purposefully-ignorant population.  And still I don't blame you.

It DOES matter that you can go "on base" and get it done.  It DOES matter than in mid-March, the NBA could find tests when the rest of us couldn't.

I don't know what my former, and perhaps future, profession as a lawyer has to do with anything.  Maybe you can explain that.

I know that if I needed to be tested on March 15, I'd be out of luck.  Because I wasn't an NBA player that day, nor was I an ex-soldier.

This started because you pretended to not know about the NBA testing in mid-March.  Please explain how this wasn't disingenuous.

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hah! Take that, dumb stupid hicks! Now vote how i want you dumb stupid hicks 

I lived in Oklahoma too, Flagg.

It's not the same as Appalachia.  If you even think you know Oklahoma, you know that.

And even then, your selective quote deliberately ignores the spirit of my post.  

You're better than this, usually.

Edited by Eleven

14 hours ago, Hank said:

Yes, NBA players will probably need ongoing testing. So will NHL players. So will NFL players. The nature of their job requires it. Do you believe nursing home residents who need testing can't get them because the NBA is buying them up? If so, why?

I'm not sure why the PA Health Department just announced that only symptomatic people will be tested. I assume it's because of a shortage of tests. I don't know if the NBA has anything to do with it. I have to read up on the quick point of care tests that we're really talking about here. "Get tested on the way into work" tests. That's a fantasy right now. IMHO unless they become abundant they need to be prioritized and pro sports would be near the bottom of the list.

I'm not sure why the PA Health Department just announced that only symptomatic people will be tested. I assume it's because of a shortage of tests. I don't know if the NBA has anything to do with it. I have to read up on the quick point of care tests that we're really talking about here. "Get tested on the way into work" tests. That's a fantasy right now. IMHO unless they become abundant they need to be prioritized and pro sports would be near the bottom of the list.

I think you undervalue what a three hour distraction every other night could do for people.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

I think you undervalue what a three hour distraction every other night could do for people.

There is entertainment everywhere that doesn't require use of scarce pandemic resources to obtain.

My employer announced today that as soon as a vaccine is available they are obtaining all they need to vaccinate the entire workforce, almost 80,000 people  Of course, they are looking to protect the means to continue profitability and cash flow.  While I would benefit from it, I don't like that they can and will do it.  It's not like this Fortune 100 company's profitability is any more important than someone else's health.  I'm not fond of scarce health resources being prioritized by who can pay the most, and be most aggressive about obtaining it.

Granted, I don't really know who or what group I would want prioritizing it.  I can't think of a sincere group that would do it in a way that is truly beneficial to all.

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is entertainment everywhere that doesn't require use of scarce pandemic resources to obtain.

My employer announced today that as soon as a vaccine is available they are obtaining all they need to vaccinate the entire workforce, almost 80,000 people  Of course, they are looking to protect the means to continue profitability and cash flow.  While I would benefit from it, I don't like that they can and will do it.  It's not like this Fortune 100 company's profitability is any more important than someone else's health.  I'm not fond of scarce health resources being prioritized by who can pay the most, and be most aggressive about obtaining it.

Granted, I don't really know who or what group I would want prioritizing it.  I can't think of a sincere group that would do it in a way that is truly beneficial to all.

Did they say who they're obtaining the vaccine from?  My understanding is that there are several groups working towards a vaccine; find it interesting that your company is already to a point to have a supplier contract.  (Please don't take this as disputing your post.  Am truly curious how they've arranged this.)

I can't remember how the swine flu vaccine was handled. I seem to remember going to CVS to get it, and that there was some kind of system as to when certain people were able to go get it.

Sold piecemeal to the private sector? That's no way to do it.

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did they say who they're obtaining the vaccine from?  My understanding is that there are several groups working towards a vaccine; find it interesting that your company is already to a point to have a supplier contract.  (Please don't take this as disputing your post.  Am truly curious how they've arranged this.)

I don’t know that they’ve made procurement plans with anyone in particular.  The tone of the announcement was more, we shut down and took a financial hit to stave this thing off so we are going to do whatever is needed to make sure we don’t get shut down again, And will be obtaining vaccines when we can to make it happen.

Given the size of our organization and the industries we are in, I have no doubt we have the influence to lend weight to that proclamation.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I agree.  But I have every expectation that the private sector will get dibs.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

Interesting that the latest scuttlebutt on the 24-team playoffs would see the Rangers shift over to the Atlantic to replace Buffalo as the 6th seed. 

Will that really make some of you happy?

I don't want to see any more Sabres hockey until next season. I don't even think the league should be finishing this season. I'm checked out and I want to stay that way lol 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't remember how the swine flu vaccine was handled. I seem to remember going to CVS to get it, and that there was some kind of system as to when certain people were able to go get it.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-1007_article

Quite a fascinating story.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.