Sabres in The Playoffs?

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

People de-legitimize their cup total all the time because of this. 

- - - 

This is clearly one of those deeply-personal/character driven things - it'll sit wildly different depending on the individual, I'd imagine. I'd be hard pressed to believe people would be able to view a potential cup win in this climate to be AS satisfying as a normal win, regardless, but maybe I'm wrong there depending on the person. 

I just come down on the side of willingly not wanting it, because I want to protect that hypothetical "real" first win, should that come. If we won this year, it wouldn't be close to as good as a normal win, and if we won again in the normal way, that in turn won't be as good as it would have been had it been our first win. 

I just can't do it, I want the real thing, first. I've been waiting for it my whole life. If we won the cup this year, that's gone forever. If we don't win it this year, it's still possible. 

This is what I was trying to say.

Carolina’s only cup is tainted because of McKee’s shin pad, Dallas because of no goal.

Gretzky’s records don’t count because of how horrible the goaltending was. Orr and Esposito smashed records because expansion watered down the league.

New Jersey only won because of the dead puck area. The Flyers because the refs didn’t know how to deal with their violence. The Penguins tanked for Mario and got Crosby with ping pong ball. And don’t get me started on the ***** Patriots.

I could come up with one of these for pretty much everything.

Teams win or lose based on the conditions of the moment and people will put an asterisk on things you would laugh at and shrug at your line in the sand.

You’re bang on: we all decide what it means to us.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is what I was trying to say.

Carolina’s only cup is tainted because of McKee’s shin pad, Dallas because of no goal.

Gretzky’s records don’t count because of how horrible the goaltending was. Orr and Esposito smashed records because expansion watered down the league.

New Jersey only won because of the dead puck area. The Flyers because the refs didn’t know how to deal with their violence. The Penguins tanked for Mario and got Crosby with ping pong ball. And don’t get me started on the ***** Patriots.

I could come up with one of these for pretty much everything.

Teams win or lose based on the conditions of the moment and people will put an asterisk on things you would laugh at and shrug at your line in the sand.

You’re bang on: we all decide what it means to us.

True, and it's a great point, but as with anything there are levels. The Astros Championship is more tainted than the Stars, etc. I know, it's actual cheating, but the Astros title is also more tainted than any kind of cheating the Patriots did, to my mind. 

I suspect the asterisk that arises from this champion lands on the more Ink Marker side of things than the number 2 pencil side, especially so if a "non-real playoff team" were to win it. We shall see!

Edited by Thorny

Seems like a bunch of people in here would rather look good and lose than look bad and win.  

Winning is winning. 

That said, The Sabres are ***** terrible at hockey and have a 0% chance at winning this year's Stanley Cup.

One thing to consider is how empty the experience would be. No home games. No parties in the plaza. No parade. If an NHL postseason comes to pass, it will be for one reason only: the league needs the money that badly. Sad all the way around.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

It's just me and you, dude. We can split one of your $30 twelve packs. 

Hey, for you it will will be some of our best Vancouver Island craft at $8 a bottle.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Again mildly infuriating.  LeBron's life is worth no more and no less than the life of some random lady in North Cackalacky.

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Again mildly infuriating.  LeBron's life is worth no more and no less than the life of some random lady in North Cackalacky.

True. The NBA's sensitivity to public opinion is bad news for people who think they're going to be celebrating a Sabres Cup win on Zoom. I don't see a scenario in the near future where everyone who needs a test or truly deserves a test can get one and testing of pro athletes isn't a scandal. Remember that the White House plan is to also do widespread testing of vulnerable communities. Lebron's gonna have a long wait.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t find this even remotely infuriating? Or even mildly irking?

Doesn't people who can pay top dollar for the tests lower the price for the rest of us?

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

I didn't see LeBron mentioned in the article. Did I miss something?

17 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

True. The NBA's sensitivity to public opinion is bad news for people who think they're going to be celebrating a Sabres Cup win on Zoom. I don't see a scenario in the near future where everyone who needs a test or truly deserves a test can get one and testing of pro athletes isn't a scandal. Remember that the White House plan is to also do widespread testing of vulnerable communities. Lebron's gonna have a long wait.

I think $ finds a way here and as always they find a way to ignore the moral obligation. Too much off the “outcry” will be in the form of tweets and the like - from people still consuming the product. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.